Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 12,806 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am currently living in Laurel and I just got a job in Baltimore/Towson, Maryland. My commute from Laurel to Baltimore/Towson has been about 55 minutes each time with no traffic. My boyfriend just moved from Alexandria to Laurel to be closer to me, so I'm trying to figure out if the commute is brutal enough to move closer to Baltimore, or if I should stay in Laurel. I anticipate that in the Winter, the commute may be worse than I expect.

I am currently renting a very nice condo for $1100 a month, so I'd be looking for a condo community.

My questions are:
What area is a good halfway point between Laurel and Baltimore?
How bad is the commute from Laurel to Baltimore on weekday mornings (around 7)?

Any advice you could give would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM

342 posts, read 912,526 times
laurel to Baltimore is long, but not too bad as far as traffic. Compared to Baltimore to Washington!!! But the only half way point i could think of would be maybe Columbia or somewhere in Anne Arundel County!!! honestly if I were you I would just stick it out!! Also think about how long you actually see yourself staying with this company if its going to be a year or 2 stick it out, if you may be there for the next ten years consider a move. Idk what your attachment to Laurel is but Baltimore County is a very nice place to live and Towson is a great little city!! Look in that area!!! Hunt Valley(Very Pricey But NICE!!) and even consider the Baltimore Harbor!!! 1100 could find you a decent condo!!

check this place out
eden apts
www.edenapts.com

Old 08-02-2011, 08:31 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
From 6am to 8am driving from Laurel to Baltimore traffic isn't bad at all.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM

153 posts, read 526,423 times
Laurel to downtown Baltimore- about 25 minutes, not too bad
Laurel to Towson-at least 45 minutes, is almost twice as long!

I had a similar problem in that I had to commute to northeast Baltimore close to the county line everyday and the commute was hard for me. When it started smowing, I decided to move to Baltimore to kill the commute.

You could try Glen Burnie which reminds me a little of Laurel. If you are renting, I would just move to Towson as I know you could find something similar to what you already have iclose to that price range.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 12,806 times
Thanks to those of you that replied. Your input has been really helpful to my thought process!

Old 05-20-2016, 06:05 AM

65 posts, read 103,265 times
How is the city of laurel? I am thinking of leaving Clearwater Florida, tired of the heat and not that many jobs. I want to be close to NJ for a weekend visit 2 times a month on the weekend, so nothing farther south than Alexandria Va but Maryland would be even better.

Is Laurel nice, does it have shopping. I once went to an all night Walmart around there somewhere i cam from Capital Heights which i did not like and drove north to an all night walmart it may have been in or near Laurel.

Any input would be great, jobs??? in that area too? Also i see here Towson isn't bad.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:06 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,405 times
laurel is OK and not as bad as cap heights. but towson is better. people really like all night walmarts that much
?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:38 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann2016 View Post
Any input would be great, jobs??? in that area too? Also i see here Towson isn't bad.
There are jobs, depending on your skills. (Fort Meade is one nearby source of Federal jobs if you can get the clearance.) However, rent and real estate are probably far more expensive than Clearwater.

Towson is also a good area, but also check the price of rent.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradgirl2011 View Post
Hello All

I am currently living in Laurel and I just got a job in Baltimore/Towson, Maryland. My commute from Laurel to Baltimore/Towson has been about 55 minutes each time with no traffic. My boyfriend just moved from Alexandria to Laurel to be closer to me, so I'm trying to figure out if the commute is brutal enough to move closer to Baltimore, or if I should stay in Laurel. I anticipate that in the Winter, the commute may be worse than I expect.

I am currently renting a very nice condo for $1100 a month, so I'd be looking for a condo community.

My questions are:
What area is a good halfway point between Laurel and Baltimore?
How bad is the commute from Laurel to Baltimore on weekday mornings (around 7)?

Any advice you could give would be helpful

Is your boyfriend commuting to Alexandria? If so, for his sake don't move any farther north than you already are. Even Laurel to Alexandria is tough; moving up to Baltimore would make it worse, and moving up to Towson would make it worse still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland