Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 05:39 AM

87 posts, read 204,081 times

Advertisements

hi,
been looking for info for Amtrak access to the Columbia MD area--I gather the BWI station is served by the high speed trains and is the closest option . The station info I could find says there are rental car companies available. would anyone know if the rental car agents are at the rail (too easy?) or a car or shuttle ride away from the Amtrak station itself?
thanks,
W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:46 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,153 times
There are no rental car companies at or within walking distance of the train station.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpease View Post
...been looking for info for Amtrak access to the Columbia MD area--
Amtrak is the heavy interstate train network that runs all over the country.
From Columbia... you'll need to go to either Baltimore or DC to get on one.

Quote:
I gather the BWI station is served by the high speed trains
You gather wrong.

BWI is served by "Light Rail" and "Marc" trains only.
Conveniently these trains go to both Baltimore and DC where actual AMTRAK trains run.
But to describe either as anything even remotely like "high speed"... well, they aren't very fast.

Quote:
The station info I could find says there are rental car companies available.
Rental car companies have outlets all over (and will deliver cars too).
Their locations include airports but not too many train stations.

hth

Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 AM

I have to disagree with Mr. Rational...while the Acela Express high speed trains don't stop at the BWI rail station, the station does serve the regular long distance Amtrak trains. My mother uses the regular Amtrak trains to visit us from Philly without any problems.

Also, the light rail does NOT stop at the BWI rail station. It only stops at the BWI airport, and then you would have to take a shuttle bus from the airport to the rail station.

So to sum it up...you can reach the BWI rail station using the regular Amtrak trains (not the Acela) and the MARC regional rail.

In order to reach the rental cars from the rail station, you would take the free shuttle bus from the rail station to the airport, and then another shuttle bus from the airport to the car rental agencies. Not the most direct way to do it, but it's doable.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that there are always taxis at the rail station, so you could also take one of those to the car rental agencies directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: