Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 08:52 AM

62 posts, read 159,534 times

Advertisements

Geographically speaking, would you consider it to be in the Northeastern Sector or the Southeastern Sector of the east coast?

Noaa climatically and geographically has it as the ''Mid atlantic" which makes up 1 part of the northeast along with New England. for the unaware, Noaa is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the top weather administration in the country where all major climate/weather alerts come from.

As you can see, virginia southward to florida is considered southeast (as it is by most places/people). And even though it doesn't show it on this particular map, noaa considers Maryland up to NY as the mid atlantic (which as stated before, and on the map, is part of the Northeast).

referenced here:

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

I can see arguments being made that it could be geographically southeast though, what do you guys think?

Please no flame wars, i'm sure there are marylanders proud of their southern heritage, i'm just speaking GEOGRAPHICALLY, and not heritage wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
In terms of weather NOAA is right, put us in the Mid-Atlantic with our neighbors as you described. Our weather is all pretty similar.

Past that, MD is in the more Northern section of the East coast if you were to draw a line separating it in two, so NE geographically is probably a good label.

As for the culture..............we are a border state with traits of our Northern neighbors and Southern neighbors

Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM

201 posts, read 573,956 times
If I was forced to choose between the two I would say northeastern even though I hate the sound of Maryland and northeastern in the same sentence

I would more so call MD, DE, and VA mid-atlantic

Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 AM

386 posts, read 655,420 times
MD, VA, DE, and NC are the midatlantic geographically. Somtimes people lump NJ and PA in that group. I would NOT say we are northeastern as that line is PA up.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Climatologically MD has more in common with the southern states. The majority of it is in zone 7A which includes parts of VA, NC, TN, GA, AL, MS, AK, OK, TX and NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland