Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times

Advertisements

I have just started seeing signs put up by the state telling us to move over and slow down when emergency vehicles are parked on the side of the road. While this is a great concept, it will only be a matter of time before some jurisdiction figures that they can set up traps, just like they have done in other states. By traps, I mean they will set up a vehicle just off the road with the lights flashing(for no reason), and just past them they will be pulling people over if they do not move over or, in their opinion, you don't slow down enough. I don't know what the MD law actually states, to be exact, but be aware, you could be pulled over for it. Most of the time you will be guilty, but sometimes you might not. If it's a revenue trap, the judge might be in on it.

In the meantime you can take steps to protect yourself to some extent. First, obey the law. But how can you prove they have made a mistake in your case? I have an Android phone that has a camera. I drilled a hole in the dash mount where the camera is, and have downloaded a free app called Daily Roads that allows me to use my phone as a dash cam, just like the cops use that you see on TV. One of its features is the ability to record your speed via gps. I would recommend you do not record sound, which is an option, since there have been cases where a motorist got in trouble for recording the law enforcement officers comments. I have no connection with Daily Roads other than the fact that I use it.

I figure some day someone in front of me might cause an accident that I might otherwise get cited for. If I can prove I wasn't at fault...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:44 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
We've had the law for a couple of years now in NC and it's doesn't seem to be a problem here. But then again, NC isn't as anal retentive as MD about these things.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I support the other "move over" law: if you're not passing anybody and there is at least one lane present to you're right, then MOVE OVER!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 06:23 AM

Richard, that is funny. The first time I had ever heard of this abuse (traps) was from someone that had one in a town in NC. Next time I talk to the person that told me, I will give the town name here.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
I support the other "move over" law: if you're not passing anybody and there is at least one lane present to you're right, then MOVE OVER!!!
I believe the point is.....this is another law that can be abused, and that law enforcement can use to the point of abuse.

There are plenty of times when you can't get over, if all lanes have traffic next to you going at speed.

If I'm going 65 (which is the speed limit in some parts of MD) -- and there is a car next to me so I can't move over -- and I do slow down to 55 or 50 -- then I have slowed down haven't I? (and therefore NOT broken the law)

But as Cruzincat says police can abuse this if in THEIR OPINION I didn't "slow down enough." What the hell is that?
The law just says slow down -- that is vague to the point of being meaningless -- and therefore open to abuse, as Cruzincat rightly points out.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I believe the point is.....this is another law that can be abused, and that law enforcement can use to the point of abuse.

There are plenty of times when you can't get over, if all lanes have traffic next to you going at speed.

If I'm going 65 (which is the speed limit in some parts of MD) -- and there is a car next to me so I can't move over -- and I do slow down to 55 or 50 -- then I have slowed down haven't I? (and therefore NOT broken the law)

But as Cruzincat says police can abuse this if in THEIR OPINION I didn't "slow down enough." What the hell is that?
The law just says slow down -- that is vague to the point of being meaningless -- and therefore open to abuse, as Cruzincat rightly points out.
Well, at this point I have not actually read the law, so I don't know the details concerning "slowing down". I am sure there is a law on the books, but I am not that savvy in finding that info on the web. Anyone?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well, at this point I have not actually read the law, so I don't know the details concerning "slowing down". I am sure there is a law on the books, but I am not that savvy in finding that info on the web. Anyone?
I also haven't seen the letter of the law -- but what I HAVE seen has never mentioned a specific speed a driver must slow down to.

I believe your point stands, though. Because unless the law says slow down to a certain speed that is measurable -- like 45 mph, etc. -- as you rightly state slowing down is indeed open to interpretation.

In parts if VA and NC, some speed limits are 70. So slowing down to 65 or 60 or 55 means you still 'slowed down.'

Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Some cop posted elsewhere on C-D that the principle is slow down 20 mph less than the limit at a minimum. I can't remember the details, but if you search the automotive forum here you might find it. It might have been posted there or in he NoVa forum, I can't remember right now.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM

386 posts, read 655,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
We've had the law for a couple of years now in NC and it's doesn't seem to be a problem here. But then again, NC isn't as anal retentive as MD about these things.
Please dont over generalize MD residents. Not all of us are anal retentive...

Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Some cop posted elsewhere on C-D that the principle is slow down 20 mph less than the limit at a minimum.
I hope that's in the written law, because other than that it's not fair to drivers. How are we supposed to know "the principle" if it's not delineated in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland