U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:31 PM

244 posts, read 507,204 times

Advertisements

Most of our snow happens in Jan or Feb so I think you would be okay weather wise, our first flurries are mid November. Traffic wise will be a nightmare, but that will be anywhere! Where in MD are you going? If you go west of Washington Co then you will have snow, not 3 feet of it but there will be snow in our 'mountains'. If you go east of the Bay, then it'll be humid and chilly but not a lot of snow...in the middle of the area we could possibly have flurries or maybe an inch or two, depending on what goes on with jet streams and so forth. Yes, it'll be cold but if you check The Weather Channel and the average temp for MD at that time, it's not below freezing so just dress warm and have a great time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:37 PM

5,264 posts, read 8,481,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
All perfect for me to hit my field blinds for geese. And we do get our share of sunny, cloudless days then. Enough so that I carry a pair of shooting/sun glasses in my blind bag.

Maybe it's my NWPA upbringing but I wouldn't call most of MD cold. Not when most days get above freezing.
Good point. But I wouldn't call most of Maryland "cool" either if the temps hit the 40s. Is there a word that describes a tempature state between "cold" and "cool?" If so, that would be the most appropriate term to use.

Hmmm..maybe I should take up hunting waterfowl. I need something fun to do during that dismal part of the year...sorry just my SAD talking Time to go back to my special lamp.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM

34,916 posts, read 44,466,125 times
Between cold and cool?

How about brisk?

Waterfowl might work for you. You straddle both the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways and, if I'm not mistaken, your goose season is longer than mine with larger bag limits.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Between cold and cool?

How about brisk?

Waterfowl might work for you. You straddle both the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways and, if I'm not mistaken, your goose season is longer than mine with larger bag limits.
Brisk baby! Just like the Lipton Iced Tea. I think it is a good word to describe the weather downstate as 'brisk' to me means a little windy as well. Of course, up here it can get down right COLD in December. We haven't had our first frost yet, but it is coming soon.

Can you eat goose?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM

34,916 posts, read 44,466,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Brisk baby! Just like the Lipton Iced Tea. I think it is a good word to describe the weather downstate as 'brisk' to me means a little windy as well. Of course, up here it can get down right COLD in December. We haven't had our first frost yet, but it is coming soon.

Can you eat goose?

Oh my, hope no one from here or the Shore sees that.

Yep. Think dark meat on a turkey. I'm lazy anymore and just breast them out. Throw in the crockpot on low, add some Golden Mushroom soup and maybe some carrots. Serve with brown/wild rice.

Shouldn't your first freeze be by the middle of Oct.? I have a gut feeling that the coming winter is going to be "interesting". Combine an active tropical season (after which we usually have above average snow) to the fact that the sea ducks from the Arctic are arriving on the Bay already.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM

388 posts, read 700,158 times
Maybe swing out to the western part of the state for a bit.

Come "Home" to Mountain Maryland for the Holidays - YouTube

Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Oh my, hope no one from here or the Shore sees that.

Yep. Think dark meat on a turkey. I'm lazy anymore and just breast them out. Throw in the crockpot on low, add some Golden Mushroom soup and maybe some carrots. Serve with brown/wild rice.

Shouldn't your first freeze be by the middle of Oct.? I have a gut feeling that the coming winter is going to be "interesting". Combine an active tropical season (after which we usually have above average snow) to the fact that the sea ducks from the Arctic are arriving on the Bay already.
Some people get grossed out when I tell them I eat deer. It is as good as steak as long as you cook it right. I am willing to eat nearly anything that flies, walks, or swims (I will draw the line at possum though), but never had the chance to try goose. I think I have had duck before.

Yup, middle of Oct. is about right. The leaves are turning up here, which they normally do before the first threat of ice or snow. Garrett County does occasionally get major icing events in late Sept. or early Oct. before the leaves drop. The huge amount of dead trees on the ridge line are evidence of this. I that back in the day, the magestic American Chestnut was the primary ridge line tree, with White Pine probably secondary. Of course the Chestnuts are gone for good and the White Pine was cut. The poor oaks and maples that took their place aren't genetically programed to drop their leaves early enough. I guess we will see if natural selection eventially plays out and the new trees adapt.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Oh, back to the topic. Cumberland is very pretty during those long December nights. All of the buildings downtown are strung with lights, they have carriage rides for kids, etc. Also you would be close to the best part of the state to have a chance to see snow (Frostburg and west are the snowiest parts of the state.) At worst, you could go see the fake snow at the Wisp Ski resort. They will have something on the ground, natural or otherwise.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 PM

925 posts, read 1,065,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I assume you mean the DC area for your visit. If so, the DC area is booming with shoppers and decorations and activity around christmas. Georgetown is especially beautiful during this time as well. The sculpture park on the national mall has ice skating and christmas music also. There probably won't be any snow but the christmas festivities will be going on everywhere. Don't forget to see the National Christmas Tree on the White House Lawn. Maybe catch the nutcracker at the Kennedy Center. The Merry Madagascar Ice Sculpture Paradise at the Gaylord National Harbor is also a must see. These are just a few options for you. Enjoy!
This. ^

Then go east to visit the skyline, waterfront, and sites along the Chesapeake Bay.

Then go west and visit the mountains of Western Maryland.

You can also head up to southern central Pennsylvania and visit the Amish world.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:48 PM

202 posts, read 499,590 times
Quote:
If your "friend" is telling you horror stories about winter in MD at Christmas he must not want you to visit. It's more likely to be in the upper 40's, even the low 50's than it is to be snowy and icy at that time. It's something like almost 30 years since MD had snow on Christmas Day (that excludes Western MD because of its geography and location).
We had snow falling from the sky here just this last Christmas!
I just had to throw that out there although it is a rarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or