U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 16,094 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I need some advise! I'll be starting a new job in Columbia,MDstarting next week. I live in Arlington,VA and would hate to move anywhere else. I don't drive, what are my options of for daily commute? My office timings would be 9-6 PM.Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM

29,835 posts, read 65,519,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpoolzombie View Post
I'll be starting a new job in Columbia,MD starting next week.
I live in Arlington,VA and would hate to move anywhere else.
uh oh... this one will not end well.

Quote:
I don't drive, what are my options for daily commute?
Somewhere between slim and none.

Well, unless Slim's cousin still does the same miserable commute...
and still doesn't mind doing all the driving...
and still has the latitude to come in early and stay late on short notice.

Anyone seen Slim's cousin recently?
Has he told anyone how he can afford a BMW on his salary?

Zombie: Maybe he has an ad on craigslist ?
---

Once the dust settles on this you'll have learned that existing in Columbia without a car...
(and license, ftm) is well, it's damned near impossible. Even if it's just to work there.
It'll also be absolutely miserable and especially so if you live there.

As this is the end game (if you accept the mission Mr Phelps) sorting that out needs to be on the short list.
But first step, at least in the short term is to find Slim's cousin. I think his name is Dave.

hth

Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM

1,468 posts, read 3,611,464 times
I think you may have to have a combination metro rail, metro bus, and Howard County transit bus (can't think of the name). Closest metro station to Columbia is Greenbelt. From there you can take a bus to Laurel (Howard County side) and then the Howard County bus to Columbia. You are going to have to do research on all the schedules and stops. Seems like one heck of a complicated commute to me.

Maybe somewhere in there you can throw in a MARC train also.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:14 PM

Thank you. I guess there is no easy commute from DC to downtown Columbia,MD using only public transit. I guess that means i'll have to relocate to Columbia or use a car and do a 40 miles/1 way commute everyday.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:44 AM

208 posts, read 371,864 times
I recommend driving for a couple of months to see if you like the job and/or the job likes you. I certainly would not count on public transportation for that commute.
Once you move to Columbia, you will most likely still need a car.
Congratulations on the job!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 PM

332 posts, read 1,160,702 times
You can take the Marc from Union Station to Savage MD, which is right near Columbia or to Elkridge which is close as well. The problem is getting from this station to your work. Another option would be to take Dillon bus service from DC to Columbia, you will be going opposite of most commuters so I'm not sure how great the frequency and convenience of buses but it might be your best option to get close to your work location. However, Columbia is definitely the type of place that you would want a car.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:43 PM

Thanks,Lisa. Yes, at this point taking a orange to metro center,then a red to union station, a MARC to dorsey and a cab to office seems to be the only option. I checked with Dillion, they don't have reverse commute in the mornings from DC to Columbia, but they have plenty of options from columbia to DC. Guess its either gonna be a killer commute or move out of Arlington or get a car and start driving to columbia and back everyday ..sigh..

Old 10-09-2011, 05:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,392,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLisa View Post
You can take the Marc from Union Station to Savage MD, which is right near Columbia or to Elkridge which is close as well. The problem is getting from this station to your work. Another option would be to take Dillon bus service from DC to Columbia, you will be going opposite of most commuters so I'm not sure how great the frequency and convenience of buses but it might be your best option to get close to your work location. However, Columbia is definitely the type of place that you would want a car.
howard transit has a bus to columbia from bwi just get a car and complain to MTA about lack of commuter service!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or