U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:31 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,393,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
What you've described in your post is no different than any other major metro areas in the country. Taxes are high? Sure, but not CA high. Traffic? Can suck too, but depends where you are. Some places could be worse, some are better, but what you've said here could apply to other areas that I've been to.
That's not true, DC has the WORST traffic in the United States judged by commute time and its been that way from several years. Someone would have to have a screw loose to move to the DC area from Raleigh, which is a more amenable place to live in nearly every regard. The only people who move to the DC area are people who want to in someway work for our government, a political offshoot or a govt contractor. No one likes living in this area, they more put up with it because they have a nice job here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM

4,111 posts, read 3,943,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
That's not true, DC has the WORST traffic in the United States judged by commute time and its been that way from several years. Someone would have to have a screw loose to move to the DC area from Raleigh, which is a more amenable place to live in nearly every regard. The only people who move to the DC area are people who want to in someway work for our government, a political offshoot or a govt contractor. No one likes living in this area, they more put up with it because they have a nice job here.
Um, no. Plenty of people love living here and aren't in it just for job.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirpnirptik View Post
You probably don't want to do that.
Don't get me wrong, there are great advantages to living here...some of the best colleges, the best medical care, the best food...but it's not worth it.

First of all, you're in the 7% tax bracket where you are...roughly $3k a year. Up here you will be in the 4.75% MD tax bracket. And the 3.2% County tax bracket. And lets not discuss property tax.
Also, unless you are working in the local area...and I mean 5 miles as the crow flies...you're talking *killer* commute. My DH works 20 miles away in northern bethesda. He has to leave no later than 8:15 if he wishes to get there by 9.
45 minutes...for a 20 mile commute...and he's on the *highway* most of the time. Speaking of highway, have you checked what your auto insurance is going to do?

Try for a place that has gas heating...my three bed 1100 sq ft place (with only two walls exposed to the elements) averages a $200 monthly electric bill...and I have HE *everything*.
Be wary of the foreigners on the roads. A few days ago I found a young african man at the gas station, confused, holding the green-handled pump (diesel) while standing next to his used civic and wondering about the symbols on the panel in front of him.
He did not read *or speak* english. Or spanish. He apparently didn't know the difference between diesel and gas. I'm guessing it wasn't his car. He very likely did not have a license, but he was going to be swerving around on that road soon anyway. This is entirely typical.

If you are Latino or African American, you will have a greater range of affordable communities and an easier time integrating, these communities are primarily friendly and welcoming to everyone. If you are Caucasian, however, I would not move my family here over $50k. I would have to think pretty hard about living here with a family even on $75k. I say this because I lived alone..here...on $75k...and my very boring life was still pretty difficult to handle. I don't drink. I'm fairly skinny. I don't eat out much. My rent/insurance/utilities ran to $1800 a month, but I had a garage and the neighborhood was safe.

Moving to a 'working-class' neighborhood will save you money on rent...just make sure you budget for higher insurance and damage to your property/valuables. Everything from dented vehicles, stolen covers, slashed tires...none of these are really out of the ordinary.

And don't drive with your windows down. There is no fresh air anywhere around DC.
And don't expect any southern hospitality.
And don't bring your guns, they have a REAL problem with those here.
And..
frankly...unless it promises fast raises, you find a cheap rent in a good neighborhood, and you can leave the area city regularly (re every other weekend or so) it is really not worth it, ESPECIALLY with a family.
I have never found anyone...not even early-20's white career guys...who didn't want to leave this area almost as quickly as they unpacked. Frederick?...better. Annapolis?...sure. Hell, RICHMOND isn't too bad...but anything directly connected to the DC beltway is a baaaaad life choice.
wow there is so much wrong with this post I would not know where to start.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:44 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,393,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Um, no. Plenty of people love living here and aren't in it just for job.
Yea but I'm presuming the original poster isn't some hipster doofus who loves cupcake shops and a cultureless landscape. DC doesn't have much going for it except for type-A politicos or yuppies who need to have other people to compare themselves to or shame when they get some shiny trinket.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM

795 posts, read 1,073,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirpnirptik View Post
You probably don't want to do that.
Don't get me wrong, there are great advantages to living here...some of the best colleges, the best medical care, the best food...but it's not worth it.

First of all, you're in the 7% tax bracket where you are...roughly $3k a year. Up here you will be in the 4.75% MD tax bracket. And the 3.2% County tax bracket. And lets not discuss property tax.
Also, unless you are working in the local area...and I mean 5 miles as the crow flies...you're talking *killer* commute. My DH works 20 miles away in northern bethesda. He has to leave no later than 8:15 if he wishes to get there by 9.
45 minutes...for a 20 mile commute...and he's on the *highway* most of the time. Speaking of highway, have you checked what your auto insurance is going to do?

Try for a place that has gas heating...my three bed 1100 sq ft place (with only two walls exposed to the elements) averages a $200 monthly electric bill...and I have HE *everything*.
Be wary of the foreigners on the roads. A few days ago I found a young african man at the gas station, confused, holding the green-handled pump (diesel) while standing next to his used civic and wondering about the symbols on the panel in front of him.
He did not read *or speak* english. Or spanish. He apparently didn't know the difference between diesel and gas. I'm guessing it wasn't his car. He very likely did not have a license, but he was going to be swerving around on that road soon anyway. This is entirely typical.

If you are Latino or African American, you will have a greater range of affordable communities and an easier time integrating, these communities are primarily friendly and welcoming to everyone. If you are Caucasian, however, I would not move my family here over $50k. I would have to think pretty hard about living here with a family even on $75k. I say this because I lived alone..here...on $75k...and my very boring life was still pretty difficult to handle. I don't drink. I'm fairly skinny. I don't eat out much. My rent/insurance/utilities ran to $1800 a month, but I had a garage and the neighborhood was safe.

Moving to a 'working-class' neighborhood will save you money on rent...just make sure you budget for higher insurance and damage to your property/valuables. Everything from dented vehicles, stolen covers, slashed tires...none of these are really out of the ordinary.

And don't drive with your windows down. There is no fresh air anywhere around DC.
And don't expect any southern hospitality.
And don't bring your guns, they have a REAL problem with those here.
And..
frankly...unless it promises fast raises, you find a cheap rent in a good neighborhood, and you can leave the area city regularly (re every other weekend or so) it is really not worth it, ESPECIALLY with a family.
I have never found anyone...not even early-20's white career guys...who didn't want to leave this area almost as quickly as they unpacked. Frederick?...better. Annapolis?...sure. Hell, RICHMOND isn't too bad...but anything directly connected to the DC beltway is a baaaaad life choice.
You must be on the NC board... trying to keep people from leaving NC.

I moved up here from NC... while NC is nice, DC is a much better fit for me.

I could run down a list, but wth... no point in that. Fact is, you need to meet more people... you seem to hang out with miserable SOBs. lol

Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 10,575 times
Default Thank You

Thank you everyone for your imput. I have decided to move myself and family to Germantown. I have a few rentals in mind and would like some imput:
18342 TIMKO LN #69 GERMANTOWN, MD 20874
19439 RAYFIELD DR #16 GERMANTOWN,MD 20874
11410 WATERBURY WAY GERMANTOWN,MD 20876
18656 WINDING CREEK PL GERMANTOWN,MD 20874
12812 KITCHEN HOUSE WAY GERMANTOWN,MD 20874
18703 WHITE SANDS DR GERMANTOWN,MD 20874

Any ideas about these areas? Are they Safe.

Thank you

Old 10-25-2011, 09:43 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,407,016 times
Quote:
I know I'm late to reply...

I commute to school from Bethesda to Rockville in 15-20 min in the morning as 270N is not as bad as say... 270S which is actually jammed to the beltway. Of course it depends where you are so my commute obviously doesn't equate the traffic to the area as a whole.

Last edited by rsh56; 10-25-2011 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,407,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Help View Post
Thank you everyone for your imput. I have decided to move myself and family to Germantown. I have a few rentals in mind and would like some imput:
18342 TIMKO LN #69 GERMANTOWN, MD 20874
19439 RAYFIELD DR #16 GERMANTOWN,MD 20874
11410 WATERBURY WAY GERMANTOWN,MD 20876
18656 WINDING CREEK PL GERMANTOWN,MD 20874
12812 KITCHEN HOUSE WAY GERMANTOWN,MD 20874
18703 WHITE SANDS DR GERMANTOWN,MD 20874

Any ideas about these areas? Are they Safe.

Thank you
The 20874 area isn't bad including the Waring station area. I cannot speak for the areas in 20876.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yea but I'm presuming the original poster isn't some hipster doofus who loves cupcake shops and a cultureless landscape. DC doesn't have much going for it except for type-A politicos or yuppies who need to have other people to compare themselves to or shame when they get some shiny trinket.
sigh.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 AM

305 posts, read 1,249,367 times
I love living in Maryland and its no question in my mind that there are some wonderful opportunities and experiences here. I just don't see how a family of 4 could possibly make it on $50k let only take advantage of any of the opportunities or experiences! That being said if you made it in NC on $43k then I bet you have a budgeting trick or two under your sleeve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or