U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 10,575 times

Advertisements

Ok so my company is offering a position to me but i have to move to Germantown, MD. I currently live in Raleigh, NC and i make around 43K a yr. This position will pay around 50K a yr. Any thoughts on utility cost for a 3 bedroom town home? It will be me my wife and 2 kids under 4. Any help is appreciated. PLEASE.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM

29,831 posts, read 65,508,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Help View Post
Any thoughts on utility cost for a 3 bedroom town home?
Call the utility company www.pge.com with the new address.
They'll quote you their budget plan price but I'm sure it's less $/Kwh than Duke.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,236 times
Default Hope it's a dream job

You probably don't want to do that.
Don't get me wrong, there are great advantages to living here...some of the best colleges, the best medical care, the best food...but it's not worth it.

First of all, you're in the 7% tax bracket where you are...roughly $3k a year. Up here you will be in the 4.75% MD tax bracket. And the 3.2% County tax bracket. And lets not discuss property tax.
Also, unless you are working in the local area...and I mean 5 miles as the crow flies...you're talking *killer* commute. My DH works 20 miles away in northern bethesda. He has to leave no later than 8:15 if he wishes to get there by 9.
45 minutes...for a 20 mile commute...and he's on the *highway* most of the time. Speaking of highway, have you checked what your auto insurance is going to do?

Try for a place that has gas heating...my three bed 1100 sq ft place (with only two walls exposed to the elements) averages a $200 monthly electric bill...and I have HE *everything*.
Be wary of the foreigners on the roads. A few days ago I found a young african man at the gas station, confused, holding the green-handled pump (diesel) while standing next to his used civic and wondering about the symbols on the panel in front of him.
He did not read *or speak* english. Or spanish. He apparently didn't know the difference between diesel and gas. I'm guessing it wasn't his car. He very likely did not have a license, but he was going to be swerving around on that road soon anyway. This is entirely typical.

If you are Latino or African American, you will have a greater range of affordable communities and an easier time integrating, these communities are primarily friendly and welcoming to everyone. If you are Caucasian, however, I would not move my family here over $50k. I would have to think pretty hard about living here with a family even on $75k. I say this because I lived alone..here...on $75k...and my very boring life was still pretty difficult to handle. I don't drink. I'm fairly skinny. I don't eat out much. My rent/insurance/utilities ran to $1800 a month, but I had a garage and the neighborhood was safe.

Moving to a 'working-class' neighborhood will save you money on rent...just make sure you budget for higher insurance and damage to your property/valuables. Everything from dented vehicles, stolen covers, slashed tires...none of these are really out of the ordinary.

And don't drive with your windows down. There is no fresh air anywhere around DC.
And don't expect any southern hospitality.
And don't bring your guns, they have a REAL problem with those here.
And..
frankly...unless it promises fast raises, you find a cheap rent in a good neighborhood, and you can leave the area city regularly (re every other weekend or so) it is really not worth it, ESPECIALLY with a family.
I have never found anyone...not even early-20's white career guys...who didn't want to leave this area almost as quickly as they unpacked. Frederick?...better. Annapolis?...sure. Hell, RICHMOND isn't too bad...but anything directly connected to the DC beltway is a baaaaad life choice.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM

587 posts, read 633,584 times
Posts like the one from dirpnirptik are quite laughable. You seem to be someone who clearly dislikes this area for whatever reason, and you used this guy's request for help as a means of venting your frustrations. Besides that, the second half of your post was just some bizarre rant in which you decided to start making random comments about race. If the DC area is such a bad life choice, there are plenty of other places to live. Choose one.

To the OP - I lived in Germantown for several years prior to moving to the Raleigh area in 2004. I did not like NC, so I moved back to the DC area a few years later and I'm very happy with my decision. Everything isn't for everybody, and I know some people who moved to NC and have no desire to come back to the DC area, but NC just wasn't for me. I am single with no children, so relocating was a bit easier for me. I will say that things may be a bit tight for a family of 4 on $50K, but a lot of that depends on one's personal lifestyle, debt, other obligations, etc. I'm sure some people are able to make it work.

Sorry I can't give any specific information regarding utility rates. I do remember thinking that Progress Energy rates in Raleigh seemed higher to me than what I was paying in Germantown (I rented a 2BR, all electric, townhouse in both areas and both were around 1100 sf), but I never bothered to actually compare the two and that was a few years ago as well so rates may have changed. I wish you and your family the best with your decision.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:43 PM

244 posts, read 506,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_Help View Post
Ok so my company is offering a position to me but i have to move to Germantown, MD. I currently live in Raleigh, NC and i make around 43K a yr. This position will pay around 50K a yr. Any thoughts on utility cost for a 3 bedroom town home? It will be me my wife and 2 kids under 4. Any help is appreciated. PLEASE.

Thank You
Not sure if this will help, but it'll give you an idea of the cost of living up here:
Cost of Living comparison calculator

You should be able to ask for the residents last electric bill amount and that'll give you a good idea of what it'll be.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 PM

244 posts, read 506,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Posts like the one from dirpnirptik are quite laughable. You seem to be someone who clearly dislikes this area for whatever reason, and you used this guy's request for help as a means of venting your frustrations. Besides that, the second half of your post was just some bizarre rant in which you decided to start making random comments about race. If the DC area is such a bad life choice, there are plenty of other places to live. Choose one.

To the OP - I lived in Germantown for several years prior to moving to the Raleigh area in 2004. I did not like NC, so I moved back to the DC area a few years later and I'm very happy with my decision. Everything isn't for everybody, and I know some people who moved to NC and have no desire to come back to the DC area, but NC just wasn't for me. I am single with no children, so relocating was a bit easier for me. I will say that things may be a bit tight for a family of 4 on $50K, but a lot of that depends on one's personal lifestyle, debt, other obligations, etc. I'm sure some people are able to make it work.

Sorry I can't give any specific information regarding utility rates. I do remember thinking that Progress Energy rates in Raleigh seemed higher to me than what I was paying in Germantown (I rented a 2BR, all electric, townhouse in both areas and both were around 1100 sf), but I never bothered to actually compare the two and that was a few years ago as well so rates may have changed. I wish you and your family the best with your decision.
I agree with this poster, the one above him is just ranting and has nothing better to do. Germantown is a vey busy area but everything you could ever need is there for you! Shopping, restaurant, an IMAX is closeby, wonderful food and many different kinds of people. You can drive 15 minutes west and enjoy the rolling countryside and mountains or drive 20 minutes in towards DC and take in our FREE MUSEUMS (only a few you have to pay for like the Spy Museum and Newseum). Visit the Library of Congress on a weekend, or go visit Great Falls. You'll be living in a great central area open to a lot of amazing opportunities. I'm not sure what the utilities will be for you in MoCo, but one county west, where I live, I pay water quarterly and it's never been above $200. My heating unit is 12 years old and every month (depending on whether they read the meter or not) in nice temps I pay about $200. It's been as much as $300 a month in a Jan or Feb winter. Phone bill well, ours is bundled so I can't really help there. Best of luck! (I think I said about the same thing in another thread in a post by you...)

Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,393,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
This poster is definitely quite off and dirpnirptik is right. You're going to have a ton of trouble supporting a 4 person family in Maryland on just a $50K salary. You're likely going to have to take a huge downgrade to your lifestyle with no significant advantages. The extra $7000 a year might as well not exist with the cost of EVERYTHING being far more brutal. There are no Wal Marts around and groceries are significantly more expensive. The University of Maryland system is one of the most expensive in the country for the point when you plan to send your kids to college, its no better than the NC university system but costs way more in state and is much more competitive. I would advise you to really think twice about locating to Germantown, I've lived in the NC triangle and it is a wonderful far more hospitable place for a family.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:55 AM

13,621 posts, read 20,784,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
I agree with this poster, the one above him is just ranting and has nothing better to do. Germantown is a vey busy area but everything you could ever need is there for you! Shopping, restaurant, an IMAX is closeby, wonderful food and many different kinds of people. You can drive 15 minutes west and enjoy the rolling countryside and mountains or drive 20 minutes in towards DC and take in our FREE MUSEUMS (only a few you have to pay for like the Spy Museum and Newseum). Visit the Library of Congress on a weekend, or go visit Great Falls. You'll be living in a great central area open to a lot of amazing opportunities. I'm not sure what the utilities will be for you in MoCo, but one county west, where I live, I pay water quarterly and it's never been above $200. My heating unit is 12 years old and every month (depending on whether they read the meter or not) in nice temps I pay about $200. It's been as much as $300 a month in a Jan or Feb winter. Phone bill well, ours is bundled so I can't really help there. Best of luck! (I think I said about the same thing in another thread in a post by you...)
Nice positive post, but 20 minutes to DC? It takes 30 minutes from Gaithersburg when there is no traffic. Add at least 10 more for Germantown, so I'd say 40 minutes to DC (to the Mall area at least).

Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 AM

587 posts, read 633,584 times
I swear, city data seems to attract some of the most negative people I've ever come across. And yes, there is a different between being realistic and being negative. Perhaps there should be a couple of new sticky threads created - one for why do you hate the DC metro area and another for why do you like it. Then new folks can wade through those posts at their leisure.

No place is perfect, and as I stated earlier everything isn't for everybody. All any of us can do is find a place that we personally feel is a good fit. I'm just someone who prefers to focus on the positive. I am not some Pollyanna and I'm not naive. I can acknowledge the negative in a situation, but that doesn't mean I'm going to jump in, roll around in it, and focus on nothing else. And if I'm living in a place that I hate so much that it makes me feel like I'm living two doors down from hell, then I do something about it to make a change. Even if it takes me a while to completely implement that change, at least I'm working towards improving my situation. Life is just too short to be perpetually miserable.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:42 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,407,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirpnirptik View Post
You probably don't want to do that.
Don't get me wrong, there are great advantages to living here...some of the best colleges, the best medical care, the best food...but it's not worth it.

First of all, you're in the 7% tax bracket where you are...roughly $3k a year. Up here you will be in the 4.75% MD tax bracket. And the 3.2% County tax bracket. And lets not discuss property tax.
Also, unless you are working in the local area...and I mean 5 miles as the crow flies...you're talking *killer* commute. My DH works 20 miles away in northern bethesda. He has to leave no later than 8:15 if he wishes to get there by 9.
45 minutes...for a 20 mile commute...and he's on the *highway* most of the time. Speaking of highway, have you checked what your auto insurance is going to do?

Try for a place that has gas heating...my three bed 1100 sq ft place (with only two walls exposed to the elements) averages a $200 monthly electric bill...and I have HE *everything*.
Be wary of the foreigners on the roads. A few days ago I found a young african man at the gas station, confused, holding the green-handled pump (diesel) while standing next to his used civic and wondering about the symbols on the panel in front of him.
He did not read *or speak* english. Or spanish. He apparently didn't know the difference between diesel and gas. I'm guessing it wasn't his car. He very likely did not have a license, but he was going to be swerving around on that road soon anyway. This is entirely typical.

If you are Latino or African American, you will have a greater range of affordable communities and an easier time integrating, these communities are primarily friendly and welcoming to everyone. If you are Caucasian, however, I would not move my family here over $50k. I would have to think pretty hard about living here with a family even on $75k. I say this because I lived alone..here...on $75k...and my very boring life was still pretty difficult to handle. I don't drink. I'm fairly skinny. I don't eat out much. My rent/insurance/utilities ran to $1800 a month, but I had a garage and the neighborhood was safe.

Moving to a 'working-class' neighborhood will save you money on rent...just make sure you budget for higher insurance and damage to your property/valuables. Everything from dented vehicles, stolen covers, slashed tires...none of these are really out of the ordinary.

And don't drive with your windows down. There is no fresh air anywhere around DC.
And don't expect any southern hospitality.
And don't bring your guns, they have a REAL problem with those here.
And..
frankly...unless it promises fast raises, you find a cheap rent in a good neighborhood, and you can leave the area city regularly (re every other weekend or so) it is really not worth it, ESPECIALLY with a family.
I have never found anyone...not even early-20's white career guys...who didn't want to leave this area almost as quickly as they unpacked. Frederick?...better. Annapolis?...sure. Hell, RICHMOND isn't too bad...but anything directly connected to the DC beltway is a baaaaad life choice.
What you've described in your post is no different than any other major metro areas in the country. Taxes are high? Sure, but not CA high. Traffic? Can suck too, but depends where you are. Some places could be worse, some are better, but what you've said here could apply to other areas that I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or