U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 PM

388 posts, read 698,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Allegany County's crime rate is now higher than the state average and had the largest single year increase since they started keeping the stats (sometime in the 1970s.) That about says it all.

The prisons have something to do with it, but you can't catch an infection without comisserating with the sick. That is really the problem, the young people in our community have lost their identity, it is no longer acceptable to be white, poor, but proud of who you are.

Now, if you are poor, you have to be angry. That opens the door to the whole "thug" culture of puffery, ill-gotten gain, stick it to the man, fight for what you want mentality.

Coney is only somewhat isolated from this. There is plenty of crime, drugs, and thugs there too, albeit in fewer numbers. I could "name drop" some of the bad folks down in your neck of the woods, but I am sure you know them already.
I'm sure I would already know the names. There were some kids that were four or five years older than me that really gave the town a hard time growing up. Some others come to mind as well.

While I had a great childhood there, Coney's decline started way before I was even born. It used to be a booming little tight-knit town, full of people that worked hard for a living and took pride in what they owned. Then the brick plant, glass plant, silk mill, and deep mines closed. Then, eventually, the industry in Cumberland left. An aging generation, a group of people that still take care of their homes and yards, still attend church, and still try to remain involved in the community, is all that seems to be left of that way of life. People that graduated high school in the 50's and 60's. Lately, it seems like we've been collecting all the white trash moving up from West Virginia (Piedmont, Keyser, and the like) and have seen some related issues. We've had some real doozies move onto my street in the past several years. Overall, while definitely not perfect, my immediate neighborhood is still mostly a family friendly place with good neighbors. On the other hand, while I know of some notable exceptions (good people with respectable homes), Douglas Avenue has become an absolute dump and I hate looking at it every time I come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 821 times
The school is fine, people above seem a bit too critical of this school. While I graduated a while ago and was involved in a difficult major, Computer Science and minor in Math, it kept me busy and out of the party scene. There were aspects I didn't like, the constant partying aspect of the people off campus was annoying though I lived on campus until my senior year. The student/teacher ratio was great and much better than schools like U Md where you are 'just a number'...so if you want to have informal interactions with you teacher, better to go to a smaller Maryland school. In general, people were quite nice and supportive. As a Christian, then also had a Intervarsity Christian Fellowship there.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 AM

103 posts, read 238,409 times
I went to Frostburg for a semester before I transferred to Towson. It's a nice school, and has a beautiful campus. The student body there is also very diverse, so fitting in won't be problem. It's also a ranked as one of the best colleges in the region. The town has a lot of friendly people, but one thing I hated over there was that there wasn't much to do for fun. I think you'll like it though. The towns surrounding Frostburg are kinda rough, so be careful where you choose to hang out. The school is fine though.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 AM

631 posts, read 1,145,942 times
There is racial issues at the school. I remember my friends that attended the school and ran into racial issues at Frostburg, mind you we are from the Eastern Shore. During the winter months, while the other universities are delayed/closed due to snow, Frostburg still opens.. The school has a good education, business program. The school is a party school becuase it is in the middle of nowhere in the mountains... No malls, clubs, just bars and that's it..

Personally, I wouldnt attend the school as it was too far from home (4.5 hours from Salisbury) plus I rather attend more known PWIs in MD than Frostburg.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
There is racial issues at the school. I remember my friends that attended the school and ran into racial issues at Frostburg, mind you we are from the Eastern Shore. During the winter months, while the other universities are delayed/closed due to snow, Frostburg still opens.. The school has a good education, business program. The school is a party school becuase it is in the middle of nowhere in the mountains... No malls, clubs, just bars and that's it..

Personally, I wouldnt attend the school as it was too far from home (4.5 hours from Salisbury) plus I rather attend more known PWIs in MD than Frostburg.
Not anymore. FSU is closed tomorrow. They closed twice for the cold weather, at least twice for snow. The reality is at least 1/2 the students now live off-campus and a majority are from downstate and many aren't experienced enough to walk or drive in bad winter weather.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 AM

41 posts, read 56,828 times
I went to FSU for a year and a half before I transferred to Towson. If it had been closer to a major city I could have stayed. I'm an African American woman and came from a Baltimore county high school. The racial scene when I first went up there was as some stated above(whispers and stares). The most racially bigoted thing that happened when I was up there was a group of White male students joking that they should do a lynching and following some of the Black women around at night. I noticed the lower class acting lower state students the year I transferred out. Thankfully the violence discussed above happened after I left.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,199,123 times
Default Question.....Child going into medicine....Suggested schools in the area of RAWLINGS MD

any good ideas for school suggestions for HS senior going into medicine.....don't lecture me please about it being so late to ask this question.......just wondering of suggestions in this area of MD.......Thanks

Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 AM

103 posts, read 238,409 times
I suggest Stevenson University. It's similar to Frostburg, but closer and it's a bit nicer because its a private university.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 AM

5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
any good ideas for school suggestions for HS senior going into medicine.....don't lecture me please about it being so late to ask this question.......just wondering of suggestions in this area of MD.......Thanks
There aren't many 4 years schools close to Rawlings. You have FSU, Potomac State in WV, and of course, WVU is about 1.5 hours from you. That would be my suggestion if staying relatively close to Rawlings is the plan as they would have a Pre-Med program and have a med school if the undergrad experience was positive. The University hospital in Morgantown is also very good.

Last edited by westsideboy; 02-18-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland