Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM

8 posts, read 22,847 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a single mom and I really want to relocate, my choices are limited to Charlotte, NC or Waldorf, Md. I'm really looking for some advice on both areas. Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful. Three school age kids all in diffrent school.
Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,917 times
First off MD is extremely expensive... Are you prepared for the extremely high cost of living in MD? Are you a liberal? MD as a whole is a very liberal state and if you have conservative values you probably won't be happy there...

That being said the public schools in MD are excellent... What exactly are you looking for in where you want to live? As in budget, proximity to the city, rural or urban, etc...

Old 10-26-2009, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 22,847 times
Thanks for the info. I currently live in De and rent for three bedrooms is 1400. I want to buy in MD and my budget is 1800.00 From my research I have choosen Charles county as my starting place. I like the city atmosphere but I can live on the outskirts to have a more quiet home life.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
I lived in NC and from my experience I will tell you that most of the transplants who make the transition well are those who have family there or get involved with a church. I met many people who could not adapt and moved on and that includes me. If you currently live in DE and have support I think it would be much easier for your to stay close. If you really want to go to Charlotte I suggest going into a short term rental, (and there are many), before making a final commitment.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2nurse View Post
Thanks for the info. I currently live in De and rent for three bedrooms is 1400. I want to buy in MD and my budget is 1800.00 From my research I have choosen Charles county as my starting place. I like the city atmosphere but I can live on the outskirts to have a more quiet home life.
I recommend somewhere in St. Mary's county... You might want to check out Charlotte Hall and Mechanicsville... I actually would recommend even further into the county if you're willing to take the commute closer to 45 minutes...

It would be a straight commute as in 1 road all the way to Waldorf...

Look into California, Loveville, and Leonardtown... You can put yourself in a safer area with better schools that way, plus it should be a little cheaper... Those are really nice places to live... Southern MD (Calvert and St. Mary's counties) is generally a really nice place to live if you can afford MDs cost of admission...

Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
First off MD is extremely expensive... Are you prepared for the extremely high cost of living in MD? Are you a liberal? MD as a whole is a very liberal state and if you have conservative values you probably won't be happy there...

That being said the public schools in MD are excellent... What exactly are you looking for in where you want to live? As in budget, proximity to the city, rural or urban, etc...

If you have a 1800/month budget I assume you have a good job currently???? That may be a bit harder to find in Charlotte. Unemployment is pretty tough in a large section of NC due to alot of things including closing of major businesses/ technology industries in the triangle area. Something to consider.
As for donsabis comment I dont think adapting to charlotte is too big a deal, its a fairly big city, very similar to alot of the east coast. Not really a culture shock.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:28 PM

41 posts, read 178,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post

It's true that living in MD is extremely expensive, so make sure you have a decent amount of money saved up for the move.

I disagree about the liberal thing. Yes, MD is a mostly liberal state, but in areas like Annapolis you'll find some conservative people too....it's definitely predominantly liberal, but not so much that conservatives will be unhappy. My parents are extremely conservative and they're perfectly happy living in Annapolis.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murland View Post
It's true that living in MD is extremely expensive, so make sure you have a decent amount of money saved up for the move.

I disagree about the liberal thing. Yes, MD is a mostly liberal state, but in areas like Annapolis you'll find some conservative people too....it's definitely predominantly liberal, but not so much that conservatives will be unhappy. My parents are extremely conservative and they're perfectly happy living in Annapolis.
It depends how much seeing things completely against your political views around you bothers you... SOMD is predominantly conservative as well but its still and MD and still has to deal with the population majority (central urban MD) having the most say...

My parents as well as many other conservatives I know that still live in MD are unhappy about the laws and attitudes of liberal MD... It might not be a dealbreaker but its something to consider...

Old 10-31-2009, 07:41 AM

54 posts, read 187,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murland View Post
I live on the Eastern Shore of MD and find that is waaay cheaper here than on the mainland.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,965 times
Well as a man with kids. I would pick Charlotte. You can get a nice sized house without super long commutes in Charlotte. I just hope that you do have a job lined up for you in either location. If not then stay where your at until you can get what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland