U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
That's ridiculous as there are many moderate and conservative Democrats. Look at Ben Nelson, Phil Bredesen, Mike Beebe, John Tester, Steve Beshear and countless others. All throughout conservative areas there are moderate Democrats. I can name 3 moderate Republicans on the scene now: Scott Brown, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins.

People vote for the bad Democrats because they know the alternative is far worse. If it were a sensible reform Republican, they would get loads of votes. Scary tea party weirdos frighten Marylanders into voting for the same ol same ol.
None of those moderates are from Maryland, are they? Why bother being a moderate Democrat in Maryland at the state or national level, just go whole hog and be on the Leftist fringe, you will win anyway.

Ehrlich was as RINO as you can get. He got flack from his own party for being too moderate. He was nominated anyway and lost to a far left candidate in O'Malley. Maryland voters had a chance to put their money where your mouth is, and they rejected your hypothesis that a moderate Republican would beat a far Left Democrat. I will say the same about Michael Steele, very moderate, yet a sacrificial lamb to limp noodle liberal Cardin.

Truth is the Dems always win, no matter how far left they are, and no matter how moderate their GOP opponents are. There is always another excuse, "Well Bob Ehrlich is a jerk." or "Michael Steele is too goofy." We will hear it again in 2014 when Franchot beats whomever the GOP trots out for the massacre in the Governor's race. That "dead man walking" probably won't be a Tea-Partier or an extremist, just a moderate with the wrong letter behind his name on the ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:01 PM

12,638 posts, read 7,608,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm a liberal but I seriously am sick of the arrogance and corruption of O'Malley and the Dem legislature. Realistically I have no idea how Republicans could take back the legislature or governorship. The problem is pretty much only tea party style Republicans are running in very liberal areas. Republicans have no one to blame but themselves for abandoning a moderate tack. Anyone remember Connie Morella? She was a liberal Republican who represented Montgomery County for many years. The tea party nutters are killing the Republican party, you'll see how it is if Herman Cain gets the presidential nomination next year, the GOP will just get slaughtered like it was the FDR era.
And you probably voted for Van Hollen over Morella.

The so-called extremism of the tea party is irrelevant in Maryland. When are you liberals going to talk about the extremism, corruption, and incompetence of the people YOU elect?

That's right...never.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM

34,794 posts, read 44,303,984 times
Same with Lollar v. Hoyer.

None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

I still see Anthony Brown as the Democratic Gov. nominee.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Sure looks like it to me.
Each of those examples are reflective of societies that are progressing upward from the Dark Ages.

And it's not just in how the Q is phrased.
Did you read the results of the polls? They are fringe positions in America. The only difference is that you personally support them, so they must be

You guys are the ones that are same ol' same ol'. Your "Dark Ages" statement is the perfect illustration of the partisan line: "My fringe ideas are great, justified and should be adopted. Your fringe ideas are backward and ignorant."

You claim to be open-minded enough to vote for a Republican, but then give 1001 excuses whey you won't or haven't, or can't. Just admit you look for that "D" beyond the name and punch the ticket. There is no shame in being a partisan hack. Most people are.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I'm pretty far left on the political spectrum. I'm tired of Maryland's democratic machine. It's not about ideology, it's about ineffectivenes. It's all show, no action.

Wayne Gilchrest was a republican who earned my vote when I lived in his district. Why? Because he actually did things and responded to concerns.

But for governor? Ehrlich is a turd. The man seems to have even less integrity than O'Malley - as evidenced in the robocall scandal. But Andy Harris is still worse.

Give me a Wayne T Gilchrest to vote for in my district or for governor and you'll see a liberal vote for a GOP. But keep trotting out these blowhards, and you can forget it.
All the while, you won't say a critical word about any of the blowhards your corrupt party has elevated to positions of power. Currie, Sheila Dixon, Mike Miller, O'Malley, Helen Holton, the Conaway family, the list is practically endless.

But whatever, you've got the votes, so enjoy what you've created. I'm particularly enjoying all the regressive taxes your heroes have passed (toll increases, cigarette taxes, sales tax). Way to look out for the little guy! lulz.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Same with Lollar v. Hoyer.

None are so blind as those who refuse to see.

I still see Anthony Brown as the Democratic Gov. nominee.
You have better sources then me, but I will make a friendly bet it is Franchot...unless there is some skeleton in his closest we don't know about.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-10-2011 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
The city's been cutting spending for four straight years! There's only so much you can cut...especially considering their ballooning pension expenses becasue the baby boomers are retiring.

And yes, AJ is right, the Tea Party is eating the GOP from the inside out. The Dems really don't even need to do anything but point people into the direction of these people. Between Herman Cain, Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, and Rick Perry its surprising that anyone takes the Republican Party seriously (On the national level). The Tea Party may be winning some elections now...but once people feel the cuts to police, fire, teachers, infrastructure how long will they last? They're digging they're own grave and taking the rest of the country with them in the process.

People see a nickle increase on their pepsi bottles and freak out like its gonna break the bank. Get the hell out of here. The money will go for schools that desperatlely need renovation and in the process hire some people in the construction industry...nothing evil about that.
LOL. The only reason the Tea Party is "eating the GOP from the inside out" is because Maryland Democrats want a boogey man and they're too stupid and/or stubborn to realize that the Tea Party and the GOP and anyone else has had NOTHING TO DO with what has happened in Maryland over the last 40 years.

Anyone with a functional IQ over 80 understands that the hated "Tea Party" hasn't been responsible for a single policy decision in the state of Maryland for the last three decades.

Maryland Democrats simply hate anyone who disagrees with their ideology of empowering government to pay them off for their votes. It's that simple.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM

34,794 posts, read 44,303,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You have better sources then me, but I will make a friendly bet it is Francot...unless there is some skeleton in his closest we don't know about.
You're on. We'll iron out the details after Jan. 1.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,393,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
None of those moderates are from Maryland, are they? Why bother being a moderate Democrat in Maryland at the state or national level, just go whole hog and be on the Leftist fringe, you will win anyway.

Ehrlich was as RINO as you can get. He got flack from his own party for being too moderate. He was nominated anyway and lost to a far left candidate in O'Malley. Maryland voters had a chance to put their money where your mouth is, and they rejected your hypothesis that a moderate Republican would beat a far Left Democrat. I will say the same about Michael Steele, very moderate, yet a sacrificial lamb to limp noodle liberal Cardin.

Truth is the Dems always win, no matter how far left they are, and no matter how moderate their GOP opponents are. There is always another excuse, "Well Bob Ehrlich is a jerk." or "Michael Steele is too goofy." We will hear it again in 2014 when Franchot beats whomever the GOP trots out for the massacre in the Governor's race. That "dead man walking" probably won't be a Tea-Partier or an extremist, just a moderate with the wrong letter behind his name on the ballot.
You sound bitter and irrational. You forget Frank Kratovil who is most certainly a moderate Democrat. He got chased out but the fringe element in the Eastern Shore in favor of Andy Harris, a no integrity Tea Party shill who will be in office at least for the next decade.

Ehrlich and Steele are not moderates, Steele was the head of the RNC if you remember. There are pretty much no moderate Republicans up for any position in Maryland. You have only yourselves to blame for your so called shortcomings. Republicans aren't called the stupid party for no reason, they never learn that trying to push far right candidates on liberal leaning populations will never result in success.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,393,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
LOL. The only reason the Tea Party is "eating the GOP from the inside out" is because Maryland Democrats want a boogey man and they're too stupid and/or stubborn to realize that the Tea Party and the GOP and anyone else has had NOTHING TO DO with what has happened in Maryland over the last 40 years.

Anyone with a functional IQ over 80 understands that the hated "Tea Party" hasn't been responsible for a single policy decision in the state of Maryland for the last three decades.

Maryland Democrats simply hate anyone who disagrees with their ideology of empowering government to pay them off for their votes. It's that simple.
No one said the Tea Party caused Maryland's problems, we are thankfully insulated from right wing nutjobs for the most part. You prove the exact point I made that people would rather vote for corrupt machine Democrats than far right nutters and that we would all benefit from a much more moderate Republican party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland