U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Sure. The gap between rich and poor grows in the United States. - The New York Times

It's a pity so many lives will be destroyed by big business crap
Interesting article, but it talks about income disperity, not how much a earner in each income bracket pays into and takes out of the common tax system, which is what we are discussing.

Try again if you want, but I can tell you now, that the more money you make, the more you pay in. It may not be as much as you would "like" to see the rich pay, but they still pay more in than anyone else.

The top 10% of income earners pay over 70% of all income tax collected.

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2011, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
378 posts, read 365,264 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Interesting article, but it talks about income disperity, not how much a earner in each income bracket pays into and takes out of the common tax system, which is what we are discussing.

Try again if you want, but I can tell you now, that the more money you make, the more you pay in. It may not be as much as you would "like" to see the rich pay, but they still pay more in than anyone else.

The top 10% of income earners pay over 70% of all income tax collected.

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?
AJ, there's no use arguing with this guy. He's from western Maryland so you'd think he'd be able to look around and see that things aren't right. Things just don't add up. A town like Cumberland that was once bustling with industry and the second largest city in the state is now a empty shell of its former self. The very people he is defending are the people who wiped out his own community. There's no use trying to convince him or save him if he hasn't been able to figure that out...I'm done with losing sleep over trying to wake the sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
AJ, there's no use arguing with this guy. He's from western Maryland so you'd think he'd be able to look around and see that things aren't right. Things just don't add up. A town like Cumberland that was once bustling with industry and the second largest city in the state is now a empty shell of its former self. The very people he is defending are the people who wiped out his own community. There's no use trying to convince him or save him if he hasn't been able to figure that out...I'm done with losing sleep over trying to wake the sheep.

Give me a break. Shoot the messenger, or in this case, shoot the messenger's town, call everyone that doesn't think like you "sheep" and them claim your intellectual superiority and ride off into the sunset.

Sounds like a retreat to me. I will gladly stay on the field. Anyone else want to play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,794 posts, read 44,303,984 times
Reputation: 44940
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Give me a break. Shoot the messenger, or in this case, shoot the messenger's town, call everyone that doesn't think like you "sheep" and them claim your intellectual superiority and ride off into the sunset.

Sounds like a retreat to me. I will gladly stay on the field. Anyone else want to play?

Westy, the first rule of debate is don't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Westy, the first rule of debate is don't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Certainly not in Maryland. We are a "right to flee" state after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 PM
 
Location: California
61 posts, read 116,622 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Can you source this claim?

It seems to me that someone that makes $30,000 a year pays $4,075 in income tax. A person making $500,000 a year pays $152,314.

Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2011

So....Mr. "Phenomenal" it seems that the guy making 500k is paying about $148,000 more dollars into the federal coffers than the guy making $30,000 and that is just in income tax! Not to mention property tax, capital gains tax, etc. Can you find where the 500k earners "take quite a bit more out of our system than one making $30,000?
I dunno, this seems pretty common sense to me. The more money you make, the more money Uncle Sam takes off of the top. This isn't rocket science, and I don't understand how anyone could argue with this blatantly simple and fundamental concept within the American system. Somebody who makes 50k a year is going to pay more in taxes than somebody who makes 20k a year. Is it a case of "higher earners don't pay their fair share", or is it a case of "I'm jealous of the higher earners and want to take as much from them as I can"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
378 posts, read 365,264 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Westy, the first rule of debate is don't get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Northy, that's exactly why I stopped. I broke the first rule buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
378 posts, read 365,264 times
Reputation: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Certainly not in Maryland. We are a "right to flee" state after all.
Haha, wow that was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Haha, wow that was funny.
So I have some wit after all, eh

But seriously, not every discussion has to be so high stakes. If you want to talk politics, let's talk politics! If not, then we don't have to. Expressing strong opinions are just part of the game. We aren't going to agree, but neither of us are stupid, sheep, or wrong on every issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
378 posts, read 365,264 times
Reputation: 458
Well said westside. In the end I think most of us are after the same thing, better quality of life. We all tend to differ on the ways of getting there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top