U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM

2,256 posts, read 5,486,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I'm a liberal but I seriously am sick of the arrogance and corruption of O'Malley and the Dem legislature. Realistically I have no idea how Republicans could take back the legislature or governorship. The problem is pretty much only tea party style Republicans are running in very liberal areas...
I don't have any ideas, but just wanted to offer my sympathies. Just substitute "Quinn" for "O'Malley", and you've just described Illinois. I really don't even care about parties, I would just be ecstatic about anyone who has the slightest ounce of common sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 02:08 PM

11 posts, read 16,808 times
Default next candidate

I am thinking my husband Herb Mcmillan should run. He is a republican district 30 delegate and probably could have won a presidency more easily than winning a seat in this district. He was also president of the maryland tax payers association. His platform is one of small business ,small govt and no new taxes. He has everything it takes to be a great and sucessful leader its just a shame we live in such a liberal state.It makes winning almost impossible.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 16,808 times
exactly ,I am always amazed at how people define themselves as a party?? really ? what are your issues , I ask people to speak about the issues not the party.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,040,426 times
I just saw a special on Fox 5 DC. Apparently King O'Malley and his band of thieves have been pilfering the special funds (such as the transportation trust fund) in order to close budget gaps in the general fund.

And this liar has the gall to propose a gas tax hike. Hey O'Moron, how about NOT TAKING MONEY OUT OF THE TRANSPORTATION FUND? Maybe then we won't need to increase the gas tax.

God, these people are an absolute cancer on this state.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,393,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I don't have any ideas, but just wanted to offer my sympathies. Just substitute "Quinn" for "O'Malley", and you've just described Illinois. I really don't even care about parties, I would just be ecstatic about anyone who has the slightest ounce of common sense!
Yea they're both similar Dem machines. You also had that scumbag Blago for 8 years. Maryland and Illinois both have top to bottom Democratic machine politics. The best example is in the 2006 Democratic primary, the County Executive of Montgomery County (one of the most populous counties), Doug Duncan, ran against O'Malley in the Democratic primary. He was a very strong candidate who had turned around Silver Spring and revived its downtown and polled nearly even. I and most of my friends and family intended to vote for Duncan in the primary but he suddenly dropped out saying he had "clinical depression". I know depression can be a serious problem but I'm certain he was blackmailed at some point to clear the way for King Martin.

Illinois and Maryland have one thing in common: canny politicians who know how to give each population segment a little of what they want so they can hold power. Its just a nasty situation. Real liberals have made some strides, like we got that old crook William Donald Schafer out of the comptroller office and replaced him with Peter Franchot but I am not optimistic about getting a solid liberal governor in 2014, the machine will probably roll over us again

Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM

34,792 posts, read 44,295,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I just saw a special on Fox 5 DC. Apparently King O'Malley and his band of thieves have been pilfering the special funds (such as the transportation trust fund) in order to close budget gaps in the general fund.

And this liar has the gall to propose a gas tax hike. Hey O'Moron, how about NOT TAKING MONEY OUT OF THE TRANSPORTATION FUND? Maybe then we won't need to increase the gas tax.

God, these people are an absolute cancer on this state.

That's been going for years, at least since Schaefer. Glendening was the king of doing it, Ehrlich was no piker and O'Malley has taken it to new heights. And not just the Highway Fund. You can include the fees DNR is supposed to receive from hunting and fishing licenses (cut the DNR helos, enforcement, number of WCO's etc. Then a year ago everyone was surprised when they found the illegal pound nets with 25K+ pounds of dead fish). Include Project Open Space money, supposedly in a lockbox and financed from transfer fees on property. Add in the Chickadee checkoff on your State Income Tax as a raided dedicated fund. And the list goes on.

Want an adventure? Compare the predictions of how much money the slots were supposed to bring to what actually is coming in.

PhenomonalAJ doesn't like Schaefer but I'd take him over O'Malley every day of the week. I have to go to events where O'Malley attends and I have to leave the room when he speaks. And why in God"s name do want an even more liberal Governor? Aren't you paying enough already?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:51 PM

8,205 posts, read 22,788,986 times
You know, you need to hold the individual politician accountable--not bad mouth an entire political party. I know there are some on here who feel that Maryland would be a better State if a Republican took the Governor's office. But would that really be the case? It may make you feel better but at the end of a the day a career politician is a career politician. Just like any other employed individual, they are going to do what ever it takes to stay in power.

That is simple logic, and what keeps them in power, what allows them to "work", is the voters and spin doctors.

It doesn't matter who is Governor. Or, for that matter, President. Look at Bush Jr. Many people thought Clinton was doing a lame job. They even went as far as to initiate an impeachment process So we got Bush Jr. and many Americans were really happy with that. So happy that he got elected for a second term. Then what happened? Well, he started to p*ss a lot of people off and even those who initially supported him--his own Party--began to distance themselves from him.

I know that some of you will not believe this, but Maryland is not a very Liberal State. Keep in mind that Democrat does not exactly equal Liberal. In a small handful of politicians it does, but for the Party as a whole Dems are more in the moderate-to-right side of things than they are to the Left.

Maryland does not necessarily need a Republican Governor. Just like Maryland does not necessarily need a Democrat Governor. What Maryland does need is a Governor from This That or The Other Party who has integrity.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,040,426 times
I'd like to see an independent honestly. Someone who does not subscribe to the party line and thinks for himself.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,901,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Yea they're both similar Dem machines. You also had that scumbag Blago for 8 years. Maryland and Illinois both have top to bottom Democratic machine politics. The best example is in the 2006 Democratic primary, the County Executive of Montgomery County (one of the most populous counties), Doug Duncan, ran against O'Malley in the Democratic primary. He was a very strong candidate who had turned around Silver Spring and revived its downtown and polled nearly even. I and most of my friends and family intended to vote for Duncan in the primary but he suddenly dropped out saying he had "clinical depression". I know depression can be a serious problem but I'm certain he was blackmailed at some point to clear the way for King Martin.

Illinois and Maryland have one thing in common: canny politicians who know how to give each population segment a little of what they want so they can hold power. Its just a nasty situation. Real liberals have made some strides, like we got that old crook William Donald Schafer out of the comptroller office and replaced him with Peter Franchot but I am not optimistic about getting a solid liberal governor in 2014, the machine will probably roll over us again
RED FLAG!!!!!!!!

Anyone with an Once of Common Sense of Sanity would not give that Red Fox a Chance to be Maryland State Governor unless they Really HATE the State of Maryland..........

Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 20,784,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'd like to see an independent honestly. Someone who does not subscribe to the party line and thinks for himself.
Is it even possible for someone like that to get elected? It's what everyone wants, but no one votes for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland