U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:21 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,567,319 times

Advertisements

I think Chestertown is quite quaint. There is a beautiful historic district and cute shops. The surrounding farmland is gorgeous (when you get past the requisite sprawl,) and one of our favorite birdwatching places is nearby (Eastern Neck National Wildlife Refuge.) I cannot speak to the intellectualism of the town - it's not like Ann Arbor (where I went to grad school) or Madison (where my DH went,) but it's a nice little town.

I just got back from a wedding in Blacksburg, VA, home of Virginia Tech. I LOVED it there. It's a large university which may mean more opportunities for cultural activities. Charlottesville may be a possibility. It's a pretty little town.

My all-time favorite college town, though, has to be Ann Arbor. SO many cultural things to do all the time. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 PM

500 posts, read 975,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarm View Post
Looking for a small, quaint college town in Maryland.

Extra preferences (but not necessary): decent intellectual atmosphere, but without a huge abundance of snobbery.
If you can afford to live close to Hood College in Frederick, I think you will find what you are looking for.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM

3,685 posts, read 5,251,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR25 View Post
St. Mary's City might fit the description.
So-called "St. Mary's City" (a misleading name) has pretty waterfront scenery, and regular cultural events at the college, but there's no town there at all. St. Mary's City consists only of the College, and the adjacent colonial settlers' tourist site. The nearest shopping is at the numerous strip malls around the Patuxent Naval Air Base.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:37 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,043,121 times
I think Frostburg or wherever St Marys is would both be nice. Possibly Salisbury as well? Never been to any of them.

Ironically, the most college town-sounding of them all is College Park but it is not particularly quaint. I love UMD but CP is kind of a hole compared to other college towns.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:32 AM

354 posts, read 1,034,556 times
I love Newark, DE for a college town and it's about as close to MD as you can get and not be in the state. I've spent a lot of time in College Park and when I saw Newark for the first time, I thought, THIS is what a college town should look like. Main St is right by campus and has so many restaurants.

cmacf1, I spent years in Blacksburg and though I love Va Tech and the campus, I feel they haven't done much with the downtown area. The suburban areas have developed like crazy, but I think the downtown area had more to offer 30 years ago.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM

You can find numerous discussions on this forum about the crime problems in Salisbury.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:50 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,346,568 times
I didn't read all the other posts, but I'd say Arbutus and Relay.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,442 times
Chestertown on Maryland's Eastern Shore is THE place. Washington College here. There is a strong sense of place. We have a top rated Farmers Market and many non-profits. We are known for The Arts, History, Wildlife and our beautiful Chester River. No one is interested in your last name nor how much money you may have. You are welcome to drive a Rolls Royce - just don't talk about it.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Frostburg is extremely snowy and cold, and in recent years the quality of students has declined due to FU's lowered admission standards. A couple of student-related shootings there recently.

Chestertown is a higher-class community and conveniently close to Philadelphia, Baltimore, as well as Washington.

Princess Anne is in an economically poorer area and more remote.

St. Mary's College in southern MD has a rural scenic water view and is highly-regarded, but it's a little remote and the area is dominated by the big Patuxent River Naval Air base.

Mt. St. Mary's/ Joseph's in Emmittsburg, and McDaniel in Westminster, are both scenic - historic and convenient to numerous other towns.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 PM

8,383 posts, read 12,865,255 times
I think Frostburg is a nice quaint college town though its connected to the larger city of Cumberland. A very cute main street and a beautiful natural setting in Western Maryland.

I haven't been to St. Mary's but I hear its very nice. Its a small college located in a small town with a nice waterfront. A lot of people hate on Salisbury, which is home to a major university, but I have no problem with the place. Salisbury has a cute historic downtown and lots of outdoors opportunities in the surrounding area. If you count Annapolis as a college town it probably fits your description best.

Now the cutest, quaintest towns in Maryland that are NOT college towns.....I'd say Cambridge, Easton, Hampstead, Union Bridge, and Berlin. I don't know about what you been by an intellectual atmosphere but Easton in particular has an air of sophistication compared to most of rural Maryland and even compard to many parts of the Baltimore area. If you like a hopping college scene, Towson is good. College Park itself is a nice town but it is surrounded by the ghettos of PG County.

Nationwide, I think Chapel Hill, NC and Charlottesville, VA are great college towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or