Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Same with smoking pot, or the ability to drill wells, or install fire alarms without a license.

I don't know, licensing people for things like well drilling and fire alarm installation makes sense to me. Those are a couple of areas where things can go south real quick if not done correctly by someone who has passed a least a minimum standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know, licensing people for things like well drilling and fire alarm installation makes sense to me. Those are a couple of areas where things can go south real quick if not done correctly by someone who has passed a least a minimum standard.
I agree. I want licensed people before the drill wells or install fire alarms in buildings.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
Quote:
I agree. I want licensed people before the drill wells or install fire alarms in buildings.
Quote:
Same with smoking pot, or the ability to drill wells, or install fire alarms without a license.
Smoking pot Batman! Saw 5 alarm fire but no fire alarm installed so drilled well but water against the law.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Well, well. From the frying pan into the fire.

According to the Mercatus Center at George Mason University, Maryland ranks a terrible 43 out of 50 in overall freedom, 28/50 in economic freedom and 50/50 in personal freedom.

Maryland | Mercatus
  • #43 Overall
  • #28 Economic
  • #50 Personal
Larger numbers indicate a less-free state, smaller numbers a more free state.

Analysis:

Maryland’s impositions on personal freedom include the second-strictest gun laws in the country,

fairly harsh marijuana laws (except that the first offense of high-level possession is a misdemeanor, and there is a weak medical-marijuana law),

extensive auto and road regulations, tight gambling laws, a law allowing police to take DNA from certain felony arrestees,
burdensome homeschooling laws (curricula must be approved by the government), high drug-arrest rates, and lack of same-sex partnerships.

On the regulatory side,
centralized land-use planning is very advanced,
labor regulation is severe,
health insurance coverage mandates add a whopping 50.9 percent to the cost of policies,

occupational licensing is much more pervasive than average,
and eminent domain abuse is almost totally unchecked.

Total smoking bans were enacted recently, and cigarette taxes have been hiked dramatically.

However, taxes on beer, wine, and spirits are fairly low, and overall Maryland has one of the least restrictive alcohol control systems in the country.

Policy Recommendations
  1. Legalize same-sex civil unions.
  2. Strengthen the medical-marijuana law and decriminalize low-level possession.
  3. Roll back occupational licensing. Examples of licensed professions not always licensed elsewhere include audiologists, occupational-therapist assistants, private investigators, bartenders, tree trimmers, embalmers, well-drilling journeymen, fire-alarm and security-system installers, and boiler operators.
4. Loosen up the onerous gun laws that give criminals a monopoly on deadly force and render the law-abiding citizens defenseless.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
4. Loosen up the onerous gun laws that give criminals a monopoly on deadly force and render the law-abiding citizens defenseless.
amen.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 PM

61 posts, read 133,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneGrail View Post
Amen to that! Gun laws are a moot point until you can disarm the criminal element. You can't, so gun laws only take guns away from those who are responsible enough to safely own them in the first place. I'm not a right winger by any stretch of the imagination, but I do value the right to protect myself and those I love.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
The net gain in freedom or whatever would still be positive though, unless you consider "freedom from gays marrying" to be a legitimate freedom lol.
so there's the rub

Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM

52 posts, read 130,711 times
I'm not suprised

Old 11-21-2011, 07:56 PM

6 posts, read 7,664 times
I would agree with that, anybody ever notice the amount of police we have? State Police, Local, County, Sheriff, Town, City, University, Tunnel Cops, HUD Police, etc. It's surprising with all of that police we still have high crime.

Update, they did raise the liquor taxes 50% along with raising Property Tax, Income Tax, Sales Tax, Corporation Tax, Fuel Tax, Registration Fees, Licensing Fees, Business Fees, Cigarette Tax and of course the Lotto & Slots, which are basically a tax on the poor.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,619 times
As a gun owner, I will say that Maryland does not have the "2nd strictest gun laws". California, NY, NJ, Hawaii and Massachusetts are all worse. So we've got the 6th strictest.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland