U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,199,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Your bolded quote is a bit of an unsupportable generalization, IMO, no offense is intended. I retired in Jan 2007, traveled the entire US for several years in an RV checking out many alternative locations.

We ultimately decided to stay put in central MD (about 45 minutes west of Baltimore and 45 minutes north of DC) as an optimal choice for our situation.

Access to interesting, world class cultural attractions & medical services, international airports (multiple), a reasonably decent climate (if you, as we do - snowbird in Costa Rica in winter and decamp to northern Maine or Canada in the dog days of summer), fairly dependable public services (blindfold me and I can tell you when we've crossed into PA, the road maintenance is that different).

Taxation - the devil is in the specific details. Housing costs, probably on the higher end but we have a paid off residence, RE taxes, not too bad, all things considered; personal property taxes - none, check out the PPT of owning an RV in VA.

Nickle/dime stuff like car inspections - try PA or NC.

We literally investigated north/south/east/west - bottom line, retirement made more sense in Maryland than any of the other permanent relocation options for us.

Generalizations are usually incorrect, it all depends. JMHO.
Do you think Frederick or Hagerstown is better ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,858,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Do you think Frederick or Hagerstown is better ?
Just my very non-bankable opinion:

Frederick is becoming (if not substantially so now) an ex-urb (not sure thats a word) for DC/Baltimore commuting types. Huge Federal/military employment gives the area a substantial employment base.

Its an area where you can buy the 1 acre home site which would be unattainable unless you're very well heeled, closer to the DC/Baltimore areas proper. Real estate prices, while way less than further in, are not cheap. Shepherdstown, West Virginia is a similar locale.

Its surrounding area is really attractive but growth has been exploding therein for the past 25 years I've lived next door (I'm 30 minutes east of Frederick proper). Proximity to DC and Baltimore's attractions, a jaunt to the shore and access to international airports make it fairly attractive. We enjoy the options of the Kennedy Center, Inner Harbor and many others - it all depends on what YOU prefer.

Sorry, I've less knowledge on Hagerstown proper. Some friends have relocated to Greencastle, PA from Hagerstown due to PA's non-taxation of pension income but are now caught paying higher taxes for RE because they located in a growth school district area. The devil is indeed in the details.

It is an imperfect assertion for anyone to try and define the best retirement location(s). Been there done that, and crunched the numbers. In the final analysis, non-economic issues (proximity to family/friends/long standing social & medical support networks, etc.) are, IMHO, far more important to one's happiness than the raw numbers would indicate.

Case in point, I'm 61 and finding that damage from a perhaps "mis-spent youth" is indeed catching up with me. I got mash-up a bit as a Marine in Viet Nam. Left with with permanent disabilities (spinal fractures and a crushed ankle) made life a bit of a challenge but all has worked out pretty well. Arthritis seems to be a function of aging, no expertise here, but its getting a bit of more of a pain in the you know what (as well as hands, knees and other damaged body parts) as I get older.

I am very lucky, compared to my compatriots on the Wall. My point is that when I need to do some grunt work around the house, both my SILs and step-sons will beat me over the head if I don't call them for assistance. Proximity to family/tribe is, in my view, far more valuable than any economic cost analysis. JMHO

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 11-17-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,248,691 times
True, up above.

Plus, it's all so subjective.

I could go talk to 10 different people, and they'd all have different opinions of the three cities listed.

I don't know any of them that well, but I have driven around Frederick and Hagerstown. If I were retired and not dependent on jobs, I'd probably go with Hagerstown. Mostly because it had a bigger feel to the urban area than Frederick. In addition, if a person was retired, Hagerstown is more affordable than Frederick.

I've never been to Winchester, but the little research I've done on it, it seems like prices might be compareable to Hagerstown (meaning you'd get slightly more house on your dollar in either Hagerstown or Winchester than Frederick).

But, I think if a person were to just 'drive around' all three cities, they'd instantly feel which one they preferred. I don't think any one of them would substantially save you that much more money on their own standing. It also depends on a person's other interests, to see how they can keep their driving around to more of a minimum (if trying to save money).

Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 AM

10,880 posts, read 27,078,920 times
It really depends upon the criteria that are most important in the decision. For medical care, Frederick, hands down, because you have local medical care, neighboring areas of Montgomery County, and easy proximity to both Baltimore and Washington, DC for top-notch health care choices.

Winchester is a bit more isolated, with respect to proximity to large cities, international airports, etc. Winchester is not an easy commute to Washington, because of the suburban areas that lie to the east of the Valley, where traffic builds quickly and can even impact travel to/from that area on the weekend. Some may not mind it, especially if they do not drive downtown on a daily basis, but it might be a factor in their decision. Hagerstown would also fall into this category, as well.

In Virginia, I would also recommend evaluating Charlottesville, as it's a tad warmer in the winter, at the southern end of the Valley, and has a good downtown area, cultural activities because of the University, the theater, restaurants, and housing that occupies a good range from affordable to luxury estates. For medical care, The University of Virginia Hospital is located nearby, and there is a train station, and easy access to DC, and NYC (by air, bus, or Amtrak). Richmond is not far away at all, for even more options, and Charlottesville has a local bus service that makes the city very accessible. CAT buses have several routes all over the city, so your friends could easily take the bus to a particular area and walk to the library, lunch, shops, etc.

The only downside to Charlottesville would be the distance if your friends wanted proximity to Pennsylvania and points north, as the city is about 2.5 hours south of Winchester via I-81.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM

3,605 posts, read 5,199,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Just my very non-bankable opinion:

Frederick is becoming (if not substantially so now) an ex-urb (not sure thats a word) for DC/Baltimore commuting types. Huge Federal/military employment gives the area a substantial employment base.

Its an area where you can buy the 1 acre home site which would be unattainable unless you're very well heeled, closer to the DC/Baltimore areas proper. Real estate prices, while way less than further in, are not cheap. Shepherdstown, West Virginia is a similar locale.

Its surrounding area is really attractive but growth has been exploding therein for the past 25 years I've lived next door (I'm 30 minutes east of Frederick proper). Proximity to DC and Baltimore's attractions, a jaunt to the shore and access to international airports make it fairly attractive. We enjoy the options of the Kennedy Center, Inner Harbor and many others - it all depends on what YOU prefer.

Sorry, I've less knowledge on Hagerstown proper. Some friends have relocated to Greencastle, PA from Hagerstown due to PA's non-taxation of pension income but are now caught paying higher taxes for RE because they located in a growth school district area. The devil is indeed in the details.

It is an imperfect assertion for anyone to try and define the best retirement location(s). Been there done that, and crunched the numbers. In the final analysis, non-economic issues (proximity to family/friends/long standing social & medical support networks, etc.) are, IMHO, far more important to one's happiness than the raw numbers would indicate.

Case in point, I'm 61 and finding that damage from a perhaps "mis-spent youth" is indeed catching up with me. I got mash-up a bit as a Marine in Viet Nam. Left with with permanent disabilities (spinal fractures and a crushed ankle) made life a bit of a challenge but all has worked out pretty well. Arthritis seems to be a function of aging, no expertise here, but its getting a bit of more of a pain in the you know what (as well as hands, knees and other damaged body parts) as I get older.

I am very lucky, compared to my compatriots on the Wall. My point is that when I need to do some grunt work around the house, both my SILs and step-sons will beat me over the head if I don't call them for assistance. Proximity to family/tribe is, in my view, far more valuable than any economic cost analysis. JMHO
Thanks for your service, and for the useful information.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,454,389 times
I love Winchester, it is beautiful with a mix of agricultural land and mountains, but don't know it very well. Hagerstown is cheaper than Frederick and has less traffic. Frederick is closer to DC, has a more gentrified downtown, and more to do culturally.

Hagerstown, by contrast, hasn't experienced the same increase in wealth as Frederick has, even though both cities have nice neighborhoods, and suburban growth surrounding them. All three cities will put you in day-tripping distance to the big cities and easy access to the outdoors.

I would pick Frederick over Hagerstown as, IMO, Hagerstown isn't quite close enough to DC to have the cosmopolitan benefits, but isn't far enough out to be in the more scenic and mountainous parts of Maryland. I would definitely check out Winchester too, from what I have seen of it, there is much to like.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 PM

388 posts, read 698,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I love Winchester, it is beautiful with a mix of agricultural land and mountains...
and Alamo Drafthouse!! lol. But I definitely agree. The Blue Ridge/Shenandoah region of Virginia is absolutely beautiful. In Winchester, you're right next to the stunning Virginia horse/wine country, an hour or so to DC, and still have a good amount of amenities for a small city. A growing number of people from Cumberland and Keyser are commuting to some of the blue collar jobs in Winchester.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 AM

455 posts, read 1,098,364 times
How long of a drive is it from Cumberland to Winchester? Looks like it may take a while on some hilly mountain roads. With no highway driving, that seems like a tough commute.

My dental hygienist here in Hagerstown lives in Keyser and commutes down here.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:02 AM

5,257 posts, read 8,454,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
How long of a drive is it from Cumberland to Winchester? Looks like it may take a while on some hilly mountain roads. With no highway driving, that seems like a tough commute.

My dental hygienist here in Hagerstown lives in Keyser and commutes down here.
For those with strong stomachs the MD Rt. 51, WV 9, WV 29 into VA, then Rt. 522 can get you to Winchester in just over an hour.

You can also drive I-68 to Hancock, then go down Rt. 522, which is much better roads, but that adds about 15-20 minutes onto the trip.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:19 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,248,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I love Winchester, it is beautiful with a mix of agricultural land and mountains, but don't know it very well. Hagerstown is cheaper than Frederick and has less traffic. Frederick is closer to DC, has a more gentrified downtown, and more to do culturally.

Hagerstown, by contrast, hasn't experienced the same increase in wealth as Frederick has, even though both cities have nice neighborhoods, and suburban growth surrounding them. All three cities will put you in day-tripping distance to the big cities and easy access to the outdoors.

I would pick Frederick over Hagerstown as, IMO, Hagerstown isn't quite close enough to DC to have the cosmopolitan benefits, but isn't far enough out to be in the more scenic and mountainous parts of Maryland. I would definitely check out Winchester too, from what I have seen of it, there is much to like.
Always interesting to your opinion....

But, just curious, for YOUR personal tastes, if YOU yourself were to move to one of the three cities, which would you personally prefer?

I guess I'm most curious where you might put Winchester on the list in relation to Frederick and Hagerstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland