U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:29 PM

34,792 posts, read 44,295,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
The Rain-Tax has nothing to do with sprawl, it's just an asinine policy O'Malley came up with.

Look again, it has to do with impermeable surfaces and the pollution load they add to stormwater runoff. Sprawl is one component.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 AM

35 posts, read 55,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Maryland gets a lot of criticism for being developed too quickly and suffering from the effects of urban sprawl, but I think it actually adds to the area.
I completely agree. Urbanization almost always adds to the culture of a place.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 AM

35 posts, read 55,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Look again, it has to do with impermeable surfaces and the pollution load they add to stormwater runoff. Sprawl is one component.
How?

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 AM

34,792 posts, read 44,295,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatBlah View Post
How?
Short course:

Sprawl replaces areas which have tree/vegetative cover that soaks up rain and slows it down before hitting waterways leading to the Chesapeake.

The replacement for vegetative cover is usually impermeable surfaces such as roofs, driveways, parking lots and roads. These all serve to channel runoff into the waterways (at a greatly increased rate of flow) while also carrying various pollutants (oils, greases, phosphorus) which both pollute the various waterways and increase nutrient load causing problems such as dead zones.

But what do I know? I've only been working with this **** for 30 years.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 AM

132 posts, read 257,375 times
I think Maryland is pretty underrated. Most people only visit the various suburbs around DC, and then go to DC. I think that if more people got to see Annapolis, Western Maryland, and the Eastern Shore, then it wouldn't be as underrated. Maryland is not as "boring" as people say it is.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:11 AM

10 posts, read 9,973 times
IMO Maryland is extremely underrated. The COL is high here, to be sure, but the fact that no one has anything more important to complain about is remarkable. Droughts in California, riots in Missouri, etc. I've never been happier to live in a "boring" place.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM

5,872 posts, read 3,211,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey CP Park View Post
IMO Maryland is extremely underrated. The COL is high here, to be sure, but the fact that no one has anything more important to complain about is remarkable. Droughts in California, riots in Missouri, etc. I've never been happier to live in a "boring" place.
I don't think it is boring. We have everything. You can drive to the ocean in a few hours, or you can drive to the mountains. Want to do something cultural? Just take a drive to D.C. Or go to many of the historic sites in Maryland. Want to take a hike? Pick one of our wonderful State Parks, or take a walk on the Appalachia trail, which is just a short distance away. We have good Universities, good hospitals. I think we have an awful lot for such a small state! Our worst is having to deal with a bit of humidity in the Summer and bitter cold temps in the Winter!

Old 12-08-2014, 08:41 PM

3,962 posts, read 2,008,807 times
^Good summary. I agree that MD is underrated. It's such a small state, yet you can get to so many diverse places within the state in such a small amount of time. You've got 2 major cities; the beach; Annapolis; lots of nature; 4 seasons. Plus it is so diverse. You can find a large concentration of all types of people. Plus, I think the suburbs in the state are really nice and generally underrated. I'm actually a person that likes suburbs (that are close to the city), and the suburbs in Maryland are really nice with easy access to DC and/or Baltimore. The suburbs get a bad rep, but when I compare the suburbs I grew up in, in MD to the ones here in Chicagoland, I realize how nice the MD suburbs are.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 9,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think it is boring. We have everything. You can drive to the ocean in a few hours, or you can drive to the mountains. Want to do something cultural? Just take a drive to D.C. Or go to many of the historic sites in Maryland. Want to take a hike? Pick one of our wonderful State Parks, or take a walk on the Appalachia trail, which is just a short distance away. We have good Universities, good hospitals. I think we have an awful lot for such a small state! Our worst is having to deal with a bit of humidity in the Summer and bitter cold temps in the Winter!
You bring up fair points. I don't take enough time off. Maybe a trip is in order. Where do you think is best to start on this list of adventures?

Old 12-12-2014, 01:17 PM

478 posts, read 672,532 times
I think MD is much like NJ in this sense. It's a state that overall, at least in most statistical measures, offers a pretty good quality of life. However, it's more of a place to live than a place to visit IMO. Relatively few people from across the country or world seek out Maryland (or NJ, or CT, or other similar states) as tourist destinations compared with say NY, HI, or other destination states. This leads to the state being overlooked a little I think, and perhaps underrated by some as far as a good place to actually work and live day to day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or