U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 02:56 PM

10,264 posts, read 10,667,471 times

Advertisements

I've read that many people are leaving MD !!! there are jobs and opportunities....ok but the cost of living is high....

Thoughts ??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 04:10 PM

542 posts, read 1,322,992 times
Not saying that they're without their gripes, but people just like to complain. Maryland has it disadvantages that goes along with its advantages. Even for its central location, being near DC and being incredibly diverse in many aspects for a small state, I think Maryland is underrated. Many people say they are leaving, but based off Census information, Maryland's population continues to grow, so the state has to be doing well for itself when there are a number of states that are having trouble retaining or attracting their populations.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:49 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,295,504 times
I feel like Maryland is underrated. It's almost never talked about, and when it is, it's usually about the cost of living of the DC area. It seems to be reasonable priced everywhere else in Maryland though.

At least in the cities west of Maryland, towns/cities like Cumberland, Hagerstown and Frederick look like they have a little density...i.e., built before our extremely car-centric current era. I don't think those types of cities get valued as much in our current society, but they probably will again in the future, as gas prices will continue to climb.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 AM

501 posts, read 1,014,675 times
Central MD is overrated in the present day. If you care to deal with being around so many people, the traffic, the attitudes, and the continuing development- go for it. Then it's for you.

I'm frankly sick of it and will move when I get the opportunity, unfortunately. It used to be a much more pleasant place to live. Things are changing rapidly.

The whole state is changing, but if you're looking for peace and quality of life I would suggest the Eastern Shore or parts of Western Maryland. They'll be the last to succumb to what I see as the shortfalls of Central MD.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM

10,264 posts, read 10,667,471 times
Positive things !!!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM

72 posts, read 130,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
Central MD is overrated in the present day. If you care to deal with being around so many people, the traffic, the attitudes, and the continuing development- go for it. Then it's for you.

I'm frankly sick of it and will move when I get the opportunity, unfortunately. It used to be a much more pleasant place to live. Things are changing rapidly.

The whole state is changing, but if you're looking for peace and quality of life I would suggest the Eastern Shore or parts of Western Maryland. They'll be the last to succumb to what I see as the shortfalls of Central MD.
Yes.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM

18,893 posts, read 20,798,833 times
I've lived in Maryland (DC area) almost all my life and I think it's a great state to live in. The COL is high, but you often get what you pay for.

IMO, the only states that are better than Maryland are New York and New Jersey (New York City area only for both states). Northern Virginia will also become much better once the silver line of the metro is completed.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 11-18-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 PM

52 posts, read 114,797 times
It's a underrated state for sure.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 PM

501 posts, read 1,014,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
IMO, the only states that are better than Maryland are New York and New Jersey (New York City area only for both states).
This comparsion is a good reason why I will be leaving the state of Maryland. This poster is 100% correct- if you enjoy NJ and NY you will enjoy what MD is becoming. This isn't the MD of yesteryear, that's for sure. If you visited the state 30 years ago and haven't since, don't plan on being thrilled with much of it today.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 PM

1,154 posts, read 4,055,024 times
It's true there are a lot of people moving out. Even more are moving in though. It's a transient state. When I moved out I figured there were at least two or three government employees moving in to replace me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or