Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:03 AM

63 posts, read 259,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Oh yeah lacrosse is very big in Montgomery County, I'm not so sure about Baltimore. Definitely a Yankee sport. And no surprise its just such a snobby culture around it. Like the Duke lacrosse case, I'm not surprised the public wanted to go against those players. Original lacrosse is really a Native American sport and I don't know how much modern lacrosse is based on it, probably not much. I prefer football and basketball and if I have time, NASCAR.

Also the Baltimore accent is more similar to the north than the south. I have some friends from Baltimore County who have an accent (most people don't seem to though) and with certain words like "on" or "walk" or "talk" it kinda sounds like Long Island. No resemblance to Boston though.
I can't say I've ever heard folks in Baltimore County ever say words like Long Islanders. If it is, it's slurred so much that I can't hear it. Maybe it's because of the influx of New Yorkers and Garden Staters into the area?

Old 09-03-2007, 12:19 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times
Quote:
Oh yeah lacrosse is very big in Montgomery County, I'm not so sure about Baltimore. Definitely a Yankee sport. And no surprise its just such a snobby culture around it. Like the Duke lacrosse case, I'm not surprised the public wanted to go against those players. Original lacrosse is really a Native American sport and I don't know how much modern lacrosse is based on it, probably not much. I prefer football and basketball and if I have time, NASCAR.

Also the Baltimore accent is more similar to the north than the south. I have some friends from Baltimore County who have an accent (most people don't seem to though) and with certain words like "on" or "walk" or "talk" it kinda sounds like Long Island. No resemblance to Boston though.
LAX is HUGE in Bmore! the LAX hall of fame is in BMORE!

just googled baltimore lacrosse hotbed!
at least according to this article it's bmore and long island that have been the primary hotbeds. bmore had a team in the MLL but moved to dc this yr i think
PressBox: Baltimore Sports. Period.

Baltimore and Long Island, N.Y. have been the primary lacrosse hotbeds for generations, but things are changing. From California to Florida and Colorado to Texas, youngsters are beginning to pick up lacrosse sticks.
"In the last 10 years we've seen such a growth in youth lacrosse. There are a lot of areas stepping up to challenge Baltimore, Long Island and other parts of New York," Seaman said. "I had a player starting for me from Salt Lake City, Utah. Ten years ago, who would ever have thought that would happen?"
With the spread of the sport, the talent pool has grown, leaving coaches with a welcome problem. With so many new players, more intense recruiting must take place.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:59 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinBalt View Post
I can't say I've ever heard folks in Baltimore County ever say words like Long Islanders. If it is, it's slurred so much that I can't hear it. Maybe it's because of the influx of New Yorkers and Garden Staters into the area?
No, its only in very specific words like I said, especially "on" how its said like "oowong". My friend with the thickest Baltimore accent is from Perry Hall and one side of her family was always native to Baltimore and the other side immigrated from Greece 2 generations ago, no New York influence at all.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:10 PM

BW Online | July 3, 2003 | Can Dunkin' KO Krispy?

This Business Week article points out the difference between Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme and says the Mason-Dixon Line tends to the divide the markets though Krispy is trying to enter Dunkin Donuts' home turf. Even the article mentions the suburban sprawl and corporate-dominated culture of the Northeast. I mean companies like Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, CVS, Sam's Club, Burger King, Cheesesteak Factory, Applebees are all headquartered in New York, New Jersey or California, esp. New York City and Los Angeles, and bring that kind of soulless, bland culture throughout the country.

I haven't seen any Krispy Kreme places in Montgomery County or Baltimore City but they sell a lot of donuts on the University of Maryland campus. To think of it, people from up north did comment on how they liked DUnkin Donuts better.

I used to like both equally....I guess I like Krispy Kreme more now. I didn't know Dunkin was such a snobby thing!!!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Its surprising how Baltimore and LI are compared for lacrosse cause the two areas still have different charactesr. I guess Baltimore still has "some" of its southern style left (read the wonderful two articles linked to on this thread) and Baltimore is seen as a down-to-earth, working class, albeit tough and dirty place while Long Island is representative of all that is snobby, elitist, racist, segregationist, arrogant and snotty.

I've always seen lacrosse as the sport of the rich Northeast elite unlike ordinary people's sports like NASCAR, basketball, and football. The Duke case is very representative of the racist and classist culture surrounding the sport, and the racism and classism of the north in general. I also have a problem wih rich families sending their kids to southern schools, taking advantage of education elsewhere and then going back to the North. Its disgusting how most out of state students in College Park are from the tri-state area and the Philly region. Our campus is such a northern culture its disgusting. I had a great experience there but now it disturbs me if its shaped me into being more northern than native Marylander or southern. I'm desperate for experiences of the typical America outside the Northeast culture. I guess I never got the typical American college experience people would get in let's say Michigan, Indiana, or Colorado. The thing is that I can't even really describe what's so northern about my experience, that really scares me.

Okay, I know the East Coast/NE is as "real" as anywhere else but its not "typical". So to me "America" still feels like a foreign country sometimes, like a lot of the things that they sing about in country music, which I'd say at least 70% of Americans listen to on a daily basis (though strikingly not in this region and points north). I feel out of touch with msot of the country when I've been to bars in DC and College Park and "bars" as in the one in Applebees but never been to a honky tonk before or tailgated on the back of a pickup truck. How I've never walked with a girl down a red dirt road to a secluded fishing spot, things like that. Iv'e never drank sweet tea on a front porch before or lived anywhere with rusty cars under weeping willows. I've seen the country mostly on the Interstates and that's not what America really is, its what the northerners think America should be like, to fit their own image. It just makes me afraid I won't fit in in most of the U.S. when I leave the East Coast. Yes, I've traveled a lot but its all tourist places, designed for east and west coasters and not representative of how people really live.

In contrast the Ivy schools don't even recruit in the South and the heartland and want to limit their enrollment to Yankees and some token minorities from California and Florida, that's it. I just don't like the patronizing attitude of northerners toward the rest of the country.

And yeah, Wisconsin, the Great Lakes, all that is Midwest, not the north. The North-South definition doesn't exist west of Pennsylvania. Even in Pennsylvania, things are very different once you leave the Philadelphia metropolitan area. Like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Indianapolis are very large cosmopolitan cities but they don't have the arrogant, unfriendly air of Philly or DC or Boston.

Last edited by Tom Lennox 70; 09-03-2007 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-03-2007, 02:20 PM

The thing about transplants is that Yankees move here to our state and think they are better than us native people who really have a right to live here. They insist on us changing to suit their needs, down to little details like aggressive driving and acting in a very pushy fashion and being short-tempered. I hope we never reach the day when we end up like Westchester or Long Island or Boston where people think you're weird if you give up your seat to an old lady on the Metro or hold open a door for someone or if you let someone pass when they change lanes as opposed to speed up just to prevent them from changing.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinBalt View Post
It may be a generalization. I didn't mean that Richmonders sound like Baltimorons at all (I admit - it's easy to make that assumption from what I said). But there are a couple sounds, or at least that one "ao" sound - that were similar. Maybe it's Baltimorese sharing some similarities with a Tidewater accent than the other way around? But my Richmond friend I've noticed sounds more like me than I thought someone from Central Virginia would, and he lived there much of his life. This may necessitate a road trip

As for the Pope, I've never heard it pronounced that way. I've heard lots of people call him the "Paope" but never the "Poope".
Yes, I mean to write Paope that way. The o vowel is elongated so I was trying to demonstrate.

Its weird- but there seem to be several types of Richmond accents floating around. My family has the most tidewater sound of them- I think even neighborhoods in Richmond vary. But there might even be some that have some similarities to Baltimore.

The word "on" someone mentioned as sounding like "aw-ohn" . Ive heard that here.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:43 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,074 times
Quote:
BW Online | July 3, 2003 | Can Dunkin' KO Krispy?

This Business Week article points out the difference between Dunkin Donuts and Krispy Kreme and says the Mason-Dixon Line tends to the divide the markets though Krispy is trying to enter Dunkin Donuts' home turf. Even the article mentions the suburban sprawl and corporate-dominated culture of the Northeast. I mean companies like Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, CVS, Sam's Club, Burger King, Cheesesteak Factory, Applebees are all headquartered in New York, New Jersey or California, esp. New York City and Los Angeles, and bring that kind of soulless, bland culture throughout the country.

I haven't seen any Krispy Kreme places in Montgomery County or Baltimore City but they sell a lot of donuts on the University of Maryland campus. To think of it, people from up north did comment on how they liked DUnkin Donuts better.

I used to like both equally....I guess I like Krispy Kreme more now. I didn't know Dunkin was such a snobby thing!!!
FYI, Wal-Mart and Sam's Club are headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas, Burger King has its headquarters in Florida, Target is based out of Minneapolis, Applebees orginiated from Kansas, and Home Depot was founded in Atlanta and has its HQ in Georgia.

Funny, other than Dunkin Donuts & CVS, none of those organizations are based out of NYC, Boston, or LA. Many of the places you desire to move to are pretty much the same as here. Texas is loaded with strip malls and suburban sprawl. In fact if you drive through Westchester County in NY, or through suburban NJ you'll find that there are fewer retail developments compared to the South.

I understand your longing for a slower-paced lifestyle and friendlier people, with a more rural atmosphere, but these days it's hard to find this in many metro areas.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,133 times
Quote:
Its surprising how Baltimore and LI are compared for lacrosse cause the two areas still have different charactesr. I guess Baltimore still has "some" of its southern style left (read the wonderful two articles linked to on this thread) and Baltimore is seen as a down-to-earth, working class, albeit tough and dirty place while Long Island is representative of all that is snobby, elitist, racist, segregationist, arrogant and snotty.

I've always seen lacrosse as the sport of the rich Northeast elite unlike ordinary people's sports like NASCAR, basketball, and football. The Duke case is very representative of the racist and classist culture surrounding the sport, and the racism and classism of the north in general. I also have a problem wih rich families sending their kids to southern schools, taking advantage of education elsewhere and then going back to the North. Its disgusting how most out of state students in College Park are from the tri-state area and the Philly region. Our campus is such a northern culture its disgusting. I had a great experience there but now it disturbs me if its shaped me into being more northern than native Marylander or southern. I'm desperate for experiences of the typical America outside the Northeast culture. I guess I never got the typical American college experience people would get in let's say Michigan, Indiana, or Colorado. The thing is that I can't even really describe what's so northern about my experience, that really scares me.

Okay, I know the East Coast/NE is as "real" as anywhere else but its not "typical". So to me "America" still feels like a foreign country sometimes, like a lot of the things that they sing about in country music, which I'd say at least 70% of Americans listen to on a daily basis (though strikingly not in this region and points north). I feel out of touch with msot of the country when I've been to bars in DC and College Park and "bars" as in the one in Applebees but never been to a honky tonk before or tailgated on the back of a pickup truck. How I've never walked with a girl down a red dirt road to a secluded fishing spot, things like that. Iv'e never drank sweet tea on a front porch before or lived anywhere with rusty cars under weeping willows. I've seen the country mostly on the Interstates and that's not what America really is, its what the northerners think America should be like, to fit their own image. It just makes me afraid I won't fit in in most of the U.S. when I leave the East Coast. Yes, I've traveled a lot but its all tourist places, designed for east and west coasters and not representative of how people really live.

In contrast the Ivy schools don't even recruit in the South and the heartland and want to limit their enrollment to Yankees and some token minorities from California and Florida, that's it. I just don't like the patronizing attitude of northerners toward the rest of the country.

And yeah, Wisconsin, the Great Lakes, all that is Midwest, not the north. The North-South definition doesn't exist west of Pennsylvania. Even in Pennsylvania, things are very different once you leave the Philadelphia metropolitan area. Like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Indianapolis are very large cosmopolitan cities but they don't have the arrogant, unfriendly air of Philly or DC or Boston.
Terrapin, I have to say this might dissapoint you, but this northern invasion is not unique to Maryland. I have been to the Deep South also, and while its not as bad, its still not reallly like the South anymore. Lots of northerners in North Carolina Trinagle and the culture is becoming more like Maryland has been becoming. And South Carolina. About the only place where the Southern way of life prevails is a few places in Virginia, and maybe Alabama-Mississippi.

Nashville has a lot of transplants, and so does Atlanta. But the northeast cultlure has seem to permeate even the deepest parts of the South, making it really impossible to escape.

Richmond still seems to be a southern strong hold after the fall of Northern Virginia, and everything else around us, it still has not turned yankee . And so are parts of the Shenandoah Valley

But most of the country is being homogenized.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 AM

810 posts, read 2,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Terrapin, I have to say this might dissapoint you, but this northern invasion is not unique to Maryland. I have been to the Deep South also, and while its not as bad, its still not reallly like the South anymore. Lots of northerners in North Carolina Trinagle and the culture is becoming more like Maryland has been becoming. And South Carolina. About the only place where the Southern way of life prevails is a few places in Virginia, and maybe Alabama-Mississippi.

Nashville has a lot of transplants, and so does Atlanta. But the northeast cultlure has seem to permeate even the deepest parts of the South, making it really impossible to escape.

Richmond still seems to be a southern strong hold after the fall of Northern Virginia, and everything else around us, it still has not turned yankee . And so are parts of the Shenandoah Valley

But most of the country is being homogenized.
think he mentioned part of nc being affected by the northern migration. is homogenization a northern thing? aren't ne towns such as in nj and mass known for having character at least more than in md?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland