Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM

44 posts, read 54,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I really want to live somewhere in the Sunbelt. Top of my list are Nevada, North Carolina, and Texas. I lived in New Orleans until I'm 7. I'm Asian American and went to Churchill but never fit into the Asian crowd or the white crowd but I have so many great friends in college, most from outside of Montgomery County. One thing, I hate teh weather up here, the winters are just simply unbearable. In Nevada and Texas, the sun shines everyday and I don't have to be cooped up indoors from October to April.

I'm applying to dental and pharmacy school right now. I can manage another 4 years in Baltimore for the in-state tuition or if they don't accept me I'll go to schools in North Carolina, Nevada, Nebraska or Ohio but I cannot spend the rest of my life here. People I work with now at my job look at me weird cause I tell them my favorite singer is Kenny Chesney. A lot of them don't even know who he is. Montgomery is so out of the touch with the culture, trends and attitudes of the real America.

I also can't stand the liberal politics here. Montgomery County schools now want to teach about homosexuality and are stressing absitence education less and less. This is VERY disturbing, as disturbing as the county gov't refusal to go after the illegal immigrants living here. Culturally, this area is tolerant to almost everyone, except someone like me, who just wants to be an ordinary, down to Earth, patriotic, un-pretentious middle American kind of person. People here look down on rural parts of the state and on the South and midwest. People act as if only the East Coast and California mattered.

At college most of the rude and unpleasant people are from states like New Jersey and New York. That's what I associate northern culture with...snobbiness, self-righteous, liberalism, arrogance, snootiness, materialism, lack of morals, etc etc etc.
They think they are better than southeners...they really do. It comes from the Civil War.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
They think they are better than southeners...they really do. It comes from the Civil War.
The ONLY time I ever heard the Civil War mentioned outside of a history class was when I was living in the South. Nobody in the North give a rats arse about something that happened 140+ years ago.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM

183 posts, read 286,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetatMD View Post
I doubt you have been to these cities. They are cities just like any other city.. with extensive beltway systems.. suburbs.. skylines.. project buildings.. just like any other city. Do not be fooled by your own hype, its 2008. These are major cities in our country and economy.. what makes you think that they are country?? The ppl there just sound country, thats all. And if you must know.. Nashville, Memphis, and Atlanta are all faster-paced cities than Baltimore, I've been and have family in 2 out of the 3.
Yes those cities have all the things that you mentioned but what else do they have to offer?? They don't have the history or the density of a Baltimore. They have that bland any town USA feel. They all have nice looking but boring downtowns and suburbs full of Walmarts, Super Targets and Applebees. In Baltimore you can walk around downtown or the nearby neighborhoods and find a fancy or nice restaurant versus my visit to Nashville when I had to bust out the phonebook and find some decent but nice place in some shopping center anchored by walmart How tacky is that?? This is also a problem in Atlanta and I actually like that city.

These so called cities you mentioned aren't even designed to be faster paced than Baltimore(a city just under 10,000 people per sq mile by the way) what are you talking about???? Atlanta, Memphis and Nashville only average about 2,000 people per sq mile each there's not enough people around for it be at a fast pace.

Last edited by nickluva; 02-14-2008 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: cause i can

Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
No, Northerners have been better than Southerners for much longer than that.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:23 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Honestly I think the state song should NEVER be changed, especially the last line. That should actually be put on a sign on all border crossings from Delaware and Pennsylvania to Maryland.

And if I had it my way on every real estate brochure given out in the state.

I have a lot of friends from Frederick County and they've told me all about how northern transplants have completely destroyed the culture and character to the area. Maybe the yankees (who have moved there after first destroying Montgomery County....their liberal policies have made Montgomery filled with illegal foreigners and thugs) think they're bringing "enrichment" or "culture" but people in this state don't want that. We want to stay the way we were. We want things to be the way they used to be.

For your information, the NY/NJ people that move to your state don't just move there for no reason. They move because the tri-state is getting too expensive and crowded. The so called "bad" areas around here are moving farther into the outer boroughs and farther out into Long Island, Westchester, and Jersey. The result is either a cramping of people into towns closer to Manhattan with astronomical prices or pushing people into long commutes from places such as South Jersey, Scranton PA, Upstate NY, and deep into CT.

And what is pushing the "bad" areas out farther? Ironically its the current 20 and 30 somethings who are transplants from places such as Kansas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and yes, Maryland. They have NY dreams...maybe they watched too much Friends or MTV as a kid, who knows? However, they realize that bringing the bland "American" life into a very ethnic melting pot is actually destroying the fabric of a very unique place. You don't want our culture, and that is fine, but we don't want your sameness. Manhattan has turned into a giant big box chain store, and is overcrowded. Ethnic NY is on its last days and the accent is pretty much void among Manhattan "residents". The middle class is disappearing very fast, and not to be NY-centric, but that is a huge issue because this city is a huge contributor to the American economy. Its going to become a bunch of white collar workers with no electricity, plumbing, garbage collection, firemen, policemen, etc.

Yes we have our bad apples. Maybe they see lower cost Maryland as an opportunity to be the Joneses instead of keeping up with them. But thats just as ignorant as Maryland kids moving into places like East Harlem and Bed Stuy, pushing hard out working families whose jobs are the foundations of this city.

We are going through the same thing as you are pal.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
For your information, the NY/NJ people that move to your state don't just move there for no reason. They move because the tri-state is getting too expensive and crowded. The so called "bad" areas around here are moving farther into the outer boroughs and farther out into Long Island, Westchester, and Jersey. The result is either a cramping of people into towns closer to Manhattan with astronomical prices or pushing people into long commutes from places such as South Jersey, Scranton PA, Upstate NY, and deep into CT.

And what is pushing the "bad" areas out farther? Ironically its the current 20 and 30 somethings who are transplants from places such as Kansas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and yes, Maryland. They have NY dreams...maybe they watched too much Friends or MTV as a kid, who knows? However, they realize that bringing the bland "American" life into a very ethnic melting pot is actually destroying the fabric of a very unique place. You don't want our culture, and that is fine, but we don't want your sameness. Manhattan has turned into a giant big box chain store, and is overcrowded. Ethnic NY is on its last days and the accent is pretty much void among Manhattan "residents". The middle class is disappearing very fast, and not to be NY-centric, but that is a huge issue because this city is a huge contributor to the American economy. Its going to become a bunch of white collar workers with no electricity, plumbing, garbage collection, firemen, policemen, etc.

Yes we have our bad apples. Maybe they see lower cost Maryland as an opportunity to be the Joneses instead of keeping up with them. But thats just as ignorant as Maryland kids moving into places like East Harlem and Bed Stuy, pushing hard out working families whose jobs are the foundations of this city.

We are going through the same thing as you are pal.
Great post! It's a free country you to move to wherever you want

Old 02-16-2008, 01:31 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
Great post! It's a free country you to move to wherever you want
Totally agree. And people can do whatever they want while there. But the right thing to do is respect the community you move into and its longtime residents, whether its a European ethnic community in NY or the Gay/Lesbian neighborhoods in SF or a Polish neighborhood in Chicago, and not try to change the community into something else. Sometimes one landlord/developer can screw up lives of many people. (Usually this is the case in the cities, as opposed to suburbs) But you cant enforce this...it happens and thats just life.

The person I responded to was talking about Montgomery County MD being flooded with NY/NJers. I know your I-270 corridor is the biotech capital of the country, and you are going to get many outsiders coming for jobs, especially people from our area because there are many of us and we have great schools here. The same thing happens in suburban Central NJ where there is a strong presence in the pharmaceutical industry. In that area, certain towns you can walk around and see nothing but Indian/Asian people. Its 2008 and people move for jobs/money first. If you live in a rich McMansion area near a big city expect to have some wealthy obnoxious snobs coming from anywhere.

I just do not understand how some people complain about outsiders when they have no idea what happens on the other side of the coin. No offense to MD, but the culture there is just a transferable suburb that could move anywhere from suburban Philly to suburban Houston. Please tell me what is unique about Montgomery County MD? DC always strikes me as the most transient city I have been to, and I like really DC too.

Up here whole communities who have roots dating back many generations get displaced for new groups such as transient artists who have meaningless jobs painting or in a CD store. The one, two or three little lone-standing Italian, Greek, Jewish, etc neighborhoods will someday be gone in NY as they are already gone in other cities like Newark and San Francisco. These places offer a lot to us up here, and unfortunately they do not get replaced when they are gone. Although they are sometimes a bit old school in thought, theyre great because theyre different, yet they integrated their culture into American culture, unlike many (not all) of today's immigrants. These areas are unique and can only be found a few places on this planet. Go visit an Italian or Jewish neighborhood and see what I mean. Youll never want to eat Pizza Hut or Subway deli ever again. And any outsider better not tell me NY culture is not unique and appreciated. I was in DC area on business and made about 50 people laugh with my stories/personality. I would be hard pressed to find the vice versa happening.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 14,464 times
Default Maryland Is South

Look I lived in Maryland my whole life. I moved to Ohio and everyone I meet says I have a southern accent. Now I know you say people in the north say Maryland is south, And people in the south say were north. Well I have a lot of old nieghbors that came from the south. They said it felt exactly felt like Tennessee. Now I been to Virginia, and it's just like Maryland. Maybe thats why Virginia is on more maps with Maryland than it is with Alabama. And about growing seasons, Virginia has the same growing seasons as Maryland. There's not a world of difference. They both get snow, they both get rain. So if your trying to say that Maryland is north and Virginia south your wrong. The're both south. History doesn't matter. Today it is still south. The Mason-Dixon, slavery, the thirteen colonies, thats all in the past. Agriculturally Maryland is the south because they grow cash crops lile tobacco. They also grow northern stuff like wheat and corn, but here's a newflash, so does Virginia. Not to mention maryland is in a small production of cotton. Last time I checked, it took a southern growing season to grow cotton. As for soutern culture. For all of you that have been to D.C. and Baltimore, that is in the middle of Maryland. I personally lived in Frederick. Now if you were to ask anyone in Maryland I'm sure you would find that that southern eastern, and western parts of maryland are more southern in culture than the middle or northern parts of Maryland. You can't make an opinion of Maryland being north until you really experience it.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Look I lived in Maryland my whole life. I moved to Ohio and everyone I meet says I have a southern accent.

Maryland is a very diverse state there are parts where the people sound southern but you can't go out and say that the whole state is which is very untrue.

Now I know you say people in the north say Maryland is south, And people in the south say were north.

You forgot about the people who are from out of state and actually spent time in maryland say that it's in between

Well I have a lot of old nieghbors that came from the south. They said it felt exactly felt like Tennessee. Now I been to Virginia, and it's just like Maryland.

I've been to Tennessee and in no way is it like Maryland at all. The only thing they have in common is green trees. Virginia I can understand both states are cut from the same cloth but the southern parts of Virginia don't really have much in common with Maryland

Maybe thats why Virginia is on more maps with Maryland than it is with Alabama. And about growing seasons, Virginia has the same growing seasons as Maryland. There's not a world of difference. They both get snow, they both get rain. So if your trying to say that Maryland is north and Virginia south your wrong. The're both south.

Again Va is on more maps with Md is because there neighbors. MD has that same relationship with Delaware also. Maryland has the same growing seasons as Pennslyvania, New Jersey and New York also can you call those states southern too???? Maryland has a mix of both north and south but if you were going off by percentage-wise Maryland is about 80%% Northern because most of it's population resides in the nothern-influeced areas

History doesn't matter. Today it is still south. The Mason-Dixon, slavery, the thirteen colonies, thats all in the past.

Even if you go back to history despite being a slave state Maryland stayed neutral on alot of issues because while a number of people had a southern way of thinking lots also had a nothern-way of thinking. You do know why the Mason-Dixon line was created???

Agriculturally Maryland is the south because they grow cash crops lile tobacco. They also grow northern stuff like wheat and corn, but here's a newflash, so does Virginia.

Actually tobacco hasn't been a cash crop in Maryland for decades and it's not even grown here anymore. So how is it agriculturally southern if it only grows "northern stuff" like wheat and corn????

Not to mention maryland is in a small production of cotton. Last time I checked, it took a southern growing season to grow cotton.

Cotton is grown in every region of america so that is false

As for soutern culture. For all of you that have been to D.C. and Baltimore, that is in the middle of Maryland. I personally lived in Frederick. Now if you were to ask anyone in Maryland I'm sure you would find that that southern eastern, and western parts of maryland are more southern in culture than the middle or northern parts of Maryland. You can't make an opinion of Maryland being north until you really experience it.

You got that right city=northern and country= southern. southern, eastern and western maryland is "the country" and central maryland is "the city". But that's where it stops my friend. The majority of Marylanders live in central part of the state so why would we have to form an opinion by traveling to the lesser populated and often forgotten regions of the state??? This is where the Maryland is southern arguments die.

[/quote]

Old 02-16-2008, 08:11 PM

29 posts, read 339,713 times
Default Maryland Is Southern

Maryland is southern. This is from a Historical view during the civil war. The sates in red were a part of the confederacy. The states that are striped were southern but were forced to be with the Union. Maryland fought for both.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/US_map-South_Historic_1.PNG (broken link)
Now this is a modern view of the south. The striped states are southern border states. The ones in red are considered south. The ones in black are consistently known as being the south, or the deep south or, Dixie. Notice how Virginia AND Maryland are BOTH southern states. Just because Maryland is on the border does not mean it is Northern. Now some would exclude Texas and Oklahoma from the southeast but this pretty much sums it up on the south.

here is another map showing the regions of the united states. See how Maryland is in the South Atlantic region, not what well-informed Virginians would call "The Northern Corridor" That is silly crap, and Virginia just wants to be rude and exclude Maryland from the south, even though they are well entitled to it. What ever happened to southern hospitality? Virginia.

Here is another map, for some reason Louisania is not included. And yet again Maryland is included
http://www.saddlebrookcontrols.com/images/Southern_States.gif (broken link)
Here is yet another map of the south with Maryland still included

anyway to finish up, I was born in Georgia and lived there until I was 13, then I moved to Alabama because of my father's work, after that I lived in Louisiania until I was 18. I moved to Maryland after college and I noticed after living here for 8 years that it really does have the culture of any other southern state. I've been to Virginia. It is exactly like Maryland. There is very little difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland