Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 PM

15 posts, read 72,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookey mith View Post
Marylanders have their own accent. It isn't northern like Pa. or Boston and it isn't southern like Alabama. But, everywhere I go people talking to me ask, "Are you from Baltimore?" Baltimore must have it's own accent, hon.
there are a couple of accents in Maryland.

People who live closer to Washington DC, (PG, Montgomery) have an entire different accent than those who are in closer proximity to Balitmore. and the People on the Eastern Shore...thats almost like visiting an entirely different region of the country

Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Maybe I was thinking of Checkers' not Sonic. My bad

When I say Western Maryland I mean only Allegany and Garrett Counties. Frederick is definitely Central or Capital Region Maryland. A argument can be made for Washington County, but I think the relative flatness of the valley, and the wealth and proximity to DC make it a better fit in Mid-Maryland as well.

As for the Confederate flags, here a few locations to look for them

1. In a window in the corner of Virginia Ave and Boone St. in Cumberland
2. Offutt St. near Mason Park in "Little Egypt" neighborhood of Cumberland
3. House in Flintstone visible from I-68. They have a Confederate battle flag, a US flag, a MD flag, and a "Don't tread on me flag."
4. In the back window of many, many, jacked up trucks.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM

53 posts, read 229,710 times
Anyone else seen the "american by birth, southern by the grace of god" bumper stickers? I see them occassionally in Carroll County.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,804 times
Well I believe that it just depends on what part of Maryland. People in more Rural areas are more southern but people that live in the Washinton Metropolitan area are more northern. But on the other hand the Baltimore area to me is considered southern because of their accents

Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,795,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krul1 View Post
Well I believe that it just depends on what part of Maryland. People in more Rural areas are more southern but people that live in the Washinton Metropolitan area are more northern. But on the other hand the Baltimore area to me is considered southern because of their accents
Baltimore people seem to have a weird mix of nothern, southern and midwestern in their accents.

To me, their accents do sound more southern than northern but they do seem to have an ethnic influence similar to Philadelphia in their speech.

I totally dig that "Hi, hon!" waitress accent.

I have a friend from Cleveland who says Baltimore reminds them of Cleveland in look feel and attitude.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,758,537 times
wait, is "Hi, hon" just said around here???

Old 09-01-2007, 12:03 AM

415 posts, read 1,960,448 times
I've never herard "Hi, hon"...
I've heard "Hey baby", "Hey hon", "Wassup hon", but never "hi hon"
And yes, it's very much a Baltimore thing.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:45 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,758,537 times
I meant "hey, hon"

But they say it in Fred co. too!

Old 09-01-2007, 02:18 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
I've heard they say "hun" in Pittsburgh and some other parts of Pennsylvania too.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:28 PM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
I really want to live somewhere in the Sunbelt. Top of my list are Nevada, North Carolina, and Texas. I lived in New Orleans until I'm 7. I'm Asian American and went to Churchill but never fit into the Asian crowd or the white crowd but I have so many great friends in college, most from outside of Montgomery County. One thing, I hate teh weather up here, the winters are just simply unbearable. In Nevada and Texas, the sun shines everyday and I don't have to be cooped up indoors from October to April.

I'm applying to dental and pharmacy school right now. I can manage another 4 years in Baltimore for the in-state tuition or if they don't accept me I'll go to schools in North Carolina, Nevada, Nebraska or Ohio but I cannot spend the rest of my life here. People I work with now at my job look at me weird cause I tell them my favorite singer is Kenny Chesney. A lot of them don't even know who he is. Montgomery is so out of the touch with the culture, trends and attitudes of the real America.

I also can't stand the liberal politics here. Montgomery County schools now want to teach about homosexuality and are stressing absitence education less and less. This is VERY disturbing, as disturbing as the county gov't refusal to go after the illegal immigrants living here. Culturally, this area is tolerant to almost everyone, except someone like me, who just wants to be an ordinary, down to Earth, patriotic, un-pretentious middle American kind of person. People here look down on rural parts of the state and on the South and midwest. People act as if only the East Coast and California mattered.

At college most of the rude and unpleasant people are from states like New Jersey and New York. That's what I associate northern culture with...snobbiness, self-righteous, liberalism, arrogance, snootiness, materialism, lack of morals, etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland