U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,789 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

First time poster here - Im from England and currently in the process of emigrating to MD. I've been reading posts on here and got a lot of good info so I just wanted to say what a great site this!

Anyway, I'm visiting the states next week and I'll be in MD for three days to get more of an idea of the general area and where I'll be living (probably Columbia as this is where my company's office is), but I would also like to visit Annapolis and Baltimore too.

Just wanted a couple of suggestions of things to see / do in a day trip to each of these cities. I know one day isn't enough time to properly explore but I just want to get the kind of 'vibe' of the places if you will.

Thanks for any help,
Philip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 20,759,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willocraig View Post
I would also like to visit Annapolis and Baltimore too.
Just wanted a couple of suggestions of things to see / do in a day trip to each of these cities.
That's easy. In Annapolis, find a place to park and walk around the waterfront and see the state capitol building. Have lunch in one of the bars. Basically do the same in Baltimore-- park and walk around the Inner Harbor. You should probably see Old Ironsides and Ft McHenry. Then maybe drive up Charles Street to the Mt. Vernon neighborhood, or go east to Fells Point and have lunch in one of the bars. Have fun!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:23 AM

Thanks goldenage, thats great. I plan to write up a summary of what I thought of each of the cities and maybe someone will find it helpful.

Any more advice, especially on Columbia would much appreciated.

Regards, Philip.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 AM

11,555 posts, read 20,759,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willocraig View Post
Any more advice, especially on Columbia would much appreciated.
It would help if you let us know whether you are single or have a family, and whether you like urban or suburban settings. Columbia is very good for families, and is a planned suburban community. Living there would be convenient to your office, but it might not be your best choice.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:55 PM

332 posts, read 1,161,727 times
Agree with the Columbia and families comment but there are a lot of young couples no kids and seniors living in the area. They all tend to live closer to town center vs. the other communities. What do you like to do or what do you want in a town. There are a lot of community type of events in Columbia and lots of swimming and fitness types of activities. If I were single or a young couple with no kids, not really concerned with crime and wanted a city vibe I would choose Baltimore. If not Columbia is not a bad place to live.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! I should have posted more info about me and my requirements.
Im 22 and single, very active and would certainly like a nightlife (clubs) or atleast easy access to one. My office is in Columbia but I will be working on construction sites in and around Columbia, Baltimore and D.C. etc..
Im used to city living but not major cities. Columbia sounds good on a day to day basis but may not really meet the nightlife requirements. However, it is positioned close enough to Baltimore and DC to use that nightlife when I like (and I've got a choice!)
I've read a lot of posts on all the cities and from what I can gather, Baltimore is nice in the right areas and I do like the idea of all the nightlife and the sports stadiums etc so I want to check out Federal Hill & Locust point atleast. Obviuosly I can read all I like but I need to see the places for myself - just to get a rough idea becasue ofcourse it's impossible to see all of the city in the short time in there. I am slightly concerned with the safety aspect of Baltimore so that might be a problem with regards to living there instead of just visiting the nightlife.
I've read a little bit into Silver Spring - should I swap it for Annapolis and visit there instead? Its very unlikely I will live in Annapolis - I was just visiting the captial (I had a quick visit there in September but only to the mall,lol). Apparently SS is generally a younger city and it has nightlife?...I'll do some more reading on it!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:02 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,410,245 times
If you want to get an idea of life in Columbia, go to the Columbia Mall and go to Centennial Park for a walk/run. Check out the trail system in Columbia in general. Go for drinks at the Victoria Gastro Pub (it isn't very English, but it is a very see-and-be-seen place). You might also want to look at the historic district of Ellicott City; it's right next to Columbia and a lot of the nightlife in Howard County is there.

I would also look at Mt. Vernon in Baltimore; I've met several early 20s folks who live there.

You can visit Annapolis when you live here.

Silver Spring would be worth looking at as a place to live, although I personally find commuting in and out of there a little challenging so it depends on how much traffic you are willing to live with in order to live somewhere closer to DC.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the info, I'll check out all your suggestions and report back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or