U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 PM

126 posts, read 368,269 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide me with some information on the Maple Lawn area of Laurel, Clarksville and Scaggsville? Is the neghiborhood worth the price tag that comes along with it? If not, can one provide an alternative place to live in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:12 PM

11,552 posts, read 20,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
Can anyone provide me with some information on the Maple Lawn area of Laurel, Clarksville and Scaggsville? Is the neghiborhood worth the price tag that comes along with it? If not, can one provide an alternative place to live in that area?
I thought the Maple Lawn neighborhood was overpriced when it was started. The shopping is too limited to really call it a neo-urban downtown. As an alternative, it depends on what you are looking for. There are some nice older ranchers along Scaggsville Road. If you like a more urban setting, downtown Laurel has some appeal. If you can afford it, Clarksville has large homes on large lots. Burtonsville has a variety of house types and prices.

Addendum. I saw luxury townhouses in Maple Lawn- eg, $550K to $850K. Georgetown prices in an area that is still surrounded by farmland. By comparison, for $850K you can buy a large estate house on 7 acres in Fulton and keep horses. It depends on how you want to spend your money, but I would rather have the 7 acres.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-18-2011 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 08:44 PM

In addition, if you want a "neo-urban" neighborhood, Kentlands in Germantown does it better. Even King Farm in Rockville is a better location than Maple Lawn.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 AM

354 posts, read 1,035,412 times
I like the Maple Lawn concept and its location, but I've heard the prices have dropped a lot from what early buyers paid. It may depend on what you want. Maple Lawn is an all-new community of very large and expensive homes literally on top of each other. Most of the areas have parking issues and congested streets. You will always be looking at your neighbors. The other areas you mentioned offer more traditional suburban neighborhoods.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 PM

332 posts, read 1,161,515 times
Definitely check out the redistricting of the schools. Also, as Newhart mention the prices have dropped but not sure if people have enough equity in their homes as they have been built in the last few years. This means a lot of people may be under water and may walk away. Very nice community and a pretty good location.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,360,765 times
Is anyone going to STOP the rampant overbuilding in MD. I just looked at their website and it's crazy! No wonder we can't seem to clean up the freaking Chesapeake. So they've built another junky subdivision of townhouses and plywood and vinly homes that are too close together?

If it were possible, I would be speechless. Clarksville used to be a quaint, peaceful and lovely area. I guess it was CRYING out for a McSubdivision. They've even squeezed CONDOS in there. Sheesh, the zoning boards need to start saying NO to Bozzuto and their cohorts. NO, you cannot build a house on every square inch of the frigging state.

New Home Development in Howard County, Maryland | Bozzuto Maple Lawn (kinkytoes chokes). I wouldn't pay that much for a condo, but it is up to the buyer. If you like the area and the houses...I see you can walk to a steakhouse from the Bozzuto subdivision...then spend as much as you can afford. Personally, if I spent that much on a condo I would definitely not be eating steak. But it is YOUR house, and if you will be happy there, that's the important thing.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 AM

126 posts, read 368,269 times
Yep, I went over and did a walk through of the neighborhood. It seems like foreclosureville waiting to happen. No idea how they can get away with attempting to charge 400k+ for a town home. I don't care if it's in clarksville or not...clarksville has value because of the land, NOT the name.

I'll be sticking to older properties with land for the same price, it seems. It's certainly a peculiar place.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
I'll be sticking to older properties with land for the same price, it seems.
I'm glad you saw Maple Lawn for yourself. A friend owned a brick rancher with an acre of land about 2 miles away in Fulton. It sold for a little over $300K. It had a septic tank, and about 2200 SF with the finished walk-out basement. So, reasonably priced houses are available.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:47 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,060,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I thought the Maple Lawn neighborhood was overpriced when it was started. The shopping is too limited to really call it a neo-urban downtown. As an alternative, it depends on what you are looking for. There are some nice older ranchers along Scaggsville Road. If you like a more urban setting, downtown Laurel has some appeal. If you can afford it, Clarksville has large homes on large lots. Burtonsville has a variety of house types and prices.

Addendum. I saw luxury townhouses in Maple Lawn- eg, $550K to $850K. Georgetown prices in an area that is still surrounded by farmland. By comparison, for $850K you can buy a large estate house on 7 acres in Fulton and keep horses. It depends on how you want to spend your money, but I would rather have the 7 acres.
Who the hell would pay that much to live near Laurel? Not that it's a bad place or anything but that's about what you'd pay for townhouses in DC which is definitely a lot more... poppin'... than a suburb town.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 AM

7 posts, read 16,300 times
Default Maple Lawn

If you've got kids and like a more traditional neighborhood feel, you could easily pay the premium it costs to live in Maple Lawn rather than in DC. When you factor in the cost of private school and the safety factor that living in DC often means, Maple Lawn comes out looking pretty good. I, for one, would not want to raise my kids in the city.

The choice between Maple Lawn and, say Kentlands or King Farm is basically a choice between Howard County and Montgomery County. For many folks, Howard is a better choice, though many prefer Montgomery which can offer more specialized courses at the high school level.

I have family who live in Maple Lawn and they really enjoy living there. Those neo-traditional communities seem to foster community interaction than traditional suburbs, so that may be a plus. Also, everyone doesn't want the hassle of taking care of a large lawn and Maple Lawn has a community pool, bike paths, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland