U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM

4,138 posts, read 9,730,497 times

Advertisements

If jobs weren't an issue, the Eastern Shore, as close to the ocean is possible. The ocean soothes my soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM

144 posts, read 369,472 times
Western Maryland, closer to the Pennsylvania border. I am a sucker for mountains, being from Upstate NY and all. Instead, I am stuck in "Good ol' Southern Maryland." This place is sucking my soul!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM

501 posts, read 1,015,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenSnow85 View Post
Western Maryland, closer to the Pennsylvania border. I am a sucker for mountains, being from Upstate NY and all. Instead, I am stuck in "Good ol' Southern Maryland." This place is sucking my soul!
You're welcome to go back to NY- with that attitude I am sure SoMD locals think the same of you! Many people in SoMD are sick of people out of state turning their counties into suburban bedroom communities anyway.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy99 View Post
You're welcome to go back to NY- with that attitude I am sure SoMD locals think the same of you! Many people in SoMD are sick of people out of state turning their counties into suburban bedroom communities anyway.

Trust me. I would move back in a heartbeat. I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't be here if I had a stinking choice! Besides, I hate it because there is a LACK of community sense here. Just commercial sprawl with smatterings of cookie cutter mcmansions or old, "southern" (read run down brick ranches) homes that are so spread apart, there is NO neighborhood feel. And with your automatic judgemental attitude toward me, I am sure you're a hit at all the parties as well....

Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Trust me. I would move back in a heartbeat. I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't be here if I had a stinking choice! Besides, I hate it because there is a LACK of community sense here. Just commercial sprawl with smatterings of cookie cutter mcmansions or old, "southern" (read run down brick ranches) homes that are so spread apart, there is NO neighborhood feel. And with your automatic judgemental attitude toward me, I am sure you're a hit at all the parties as well....
You moved here simply to take a job (away from a local), and contribute to the sprawl. Maybe you should have looked into, say, I don't know, visiting the area overnight a couple of times to get a sense of where you were moving and move there if you liked it- accepting a place for what it is instead of what you wished it were and trying to change it to fit your desires. The locals of SoMD have been on to Northeastern transplants like yourself for a while now. They know you're only here for the job and snicker behind their backs with complaints like you voiced and the old "Southern MD inbreds" crap. Believe it or not, you moved to the South when you picked Southern Maryland. And a fairly rural part at that. Therefore, it is not going to have the close-in neighborhoods of boroughs and townships in the Northeast (maybe people LIKE not having their neighbors up their ass and owning some acreage). To expect that is purely ignorance. Judgmental attitude? You said SoMD was "sucking your soul". You expect that not to ruffle some feathers? There are two types of new residents- ones who embrace and appreciate their new community, and ones who ***** and whine about how much better it was, or how things were done in "X" state. It's clear where you fall.

Last edited by MDguy99; 11-29-2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You moved here simply to take a job (away from a local), and contribute to the sprawl. Maybe you should have looked into, say, I don't know, visiting the area overnight a couple of times to get a sense of where you were moving and move there if you liked it- accepting a place for what it is instead of what you wished it were and trying to change it to fit your desires.

My husband is originally from this area, and I had previously lived here (in fact I met him here) before we moved back for a more permanent job. In fact, my in laws even live here. But, when you have a family to feed, it's either take the freaking job and provide for your family or go jobless and let them starve. So, please stop assuming things about me because of your blanket dislike of anyone north of Delaware.

Quote:
The locals of SoMD have been on to Northeastern transplants like yourself for a while now. They know you're only here for the job and snicker behind their backs with complaints like you voiced and the old "Southern MD inbreds" crap. Believe it or not, you moved to the South when you picked Southern Maryland. And a fairly rural part at that. Therefore, it is not going to have the close-in neighborhoods of boroughs and townships in the Northeast (maybe people LIKE not having their neighbors up their ass and owning some acreage). To expect that is purely ignorance. Judgmental attitude? You said SoMD was "sucking your soul". You expect that not to ruffle some feathers? There are two types of new residents- ones who embrace and appreciate their new community, and ones who ***** and whine about how much better it was, or how things were done in "X" state. It's clear where you fall.

B. I am FROM a small town, rural area, population of 4,000. But there is a HUGE difference between small town SOMD and small town Upstate NY. And just because I am from UPSTATE NY (read far away from the effing city!!!!!!) does not mean I call southern marylander's names. If anyone is being judgemental, it is you by assuming all of these things about me and other quote unquote northerners. So, in essence, I am so freaking sorry for moving to your state to provide for my family. And apparently, I am not allowed to dislike a state in the country of which I am a citizen of. So, thank you for helping cement my continued dislike of your area.

Last edited by FrozenSnow85; 11-29-2011 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
My husband is originally from this area, and I had previously lived here (in fact I met him here) before we moved back for a more permanent job. In fact, my in laws even live here. But, when you have a family to feed, it's either take the freaking job and provide for your family or go jobless and let them starve. So, please stop assuming things about me because of your blanket dislike of anyone north of Delaware.
Hon, boldface typing doesn't make you right, simply annoying.

First, there are thousands of jobs outside of Southern MD. Nobody is forcing you to take one particular job. It's not a matter of "starvation".

I don't dislike anyone north of Delaware. I lived in Northern NJ for years and I knew before I went there it wasn't going to be the best place for me. I lived with a friend doing freelance work and knew what I was getting myself into. I went and swallowed my pride, never trying to change the place, never bitching and complaining, never speaking ill of the place to residents or constantly starting sentences with "back in MD...", and certainly not openly voicing to native residents that the place was "sucking out my soul". Instead, I simply dealt with it and moved on when possible.

And, sure, I complain about the state (MD) all the time. Except, I complain that people are changing the state from what it was, not because I can't change the state to what I want it to be. Your original post was inflamatory and you posted it to ruffle some feathers, so I commend you on succeeding in that respect. For you to be flipping out when someone takes you to task on the disparaging remarks is irrational.

Quote:
B. I am FROM a small town, rural area, population of 4,000. But there is a HUGE difference between small town SOMD and small town Upstate NY.
This is my main point. How can you project expectations that SoMD be like rural places in the Northeast? Accept it for what it is instead of what you want it to be or simply save and move out.

Quote:
So, thank you for helping cement my continued dislike of your area.
You're welcome? (Although I don't live in SoMD)

Last edited by MDguy99; 11-29-2011 at 06:22 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Hon, boldface typing doesn't make you right, simply annoying.

First, there are thousands of jobs outside of Southern MD. Nobody is forcing you to take one particular job. It's not a matter of "starvation".

I don't dislike anyone north of Delaware. I lived in Northern NJ for years and I knew before I went there it wasn't going to be the best place for me. I lived with a friend doing freelance work and knew what I was getting myself into. I went and swallowed my pride, never trying to change the place, never bitching and complaining, never speaking ill of the place to residents or constantly starting sentences with "back in MD...", and certainly not openly voicing to native residents that the place was "sucking out my soul". Instead, I simply dealt with it and moved on when possible.

And, sure, I complain about the state all the time. Except, I complain that people are changing the state from what it was, not because I can't change the state to what I want it to be. Your original post was inflamatory and you posted it to ruffle some feathers, so I commend you on succeeding in that respect. For you to be flipping out when someone takes you to task on the disparaging remarks is irrational.

This is my main point. How can you project expectations that SoMD be like rural places in the Northeast? Accept it for what it is instead of what you want it to be or simply save and move out.

You're welcome? (Although I don't live in SoMD)
Alright, this is her husband, the one who grew up here in SoMD. No, there aren't thousands of jobs in my chosen career field. I am in a pretty specialized field, and there are less than 100 sites in the country I could work at. If I could get a job somewhere else, I probably would. BUT, if you haven't noticed, even people that are able to be easily employed anywhere are having trouble getting jobs, but when you're in a pretty specialized (yet fairly well paying) field, you take the job you can get. Before this we lived on the west coast, and we both hated it. But you know what? We lived there, and when that job ended, I got a job here. I applied at approximately 15-20 places, and this is where I got the job.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that this place "sucks her soul" isn't a big deal. You go where the job is, right?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that this place "sucks her soul" isn't a big deal. You go where the job is, right?
Her "Good Ol' Southern Maryland" remark had a snark of elitism that some people could do without. And coming to a MD board posting that a part of MD is "sucking out your soul" is going to draw some negative reactions. She certainly had the right to voice her opinion, as I have the right to respond as I wish. Best of luck with finding another job elsewhere where you can be happy.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM

5,264 posts, read 8,481,711 times
Um, not to interupt, but if you like Western Maryland you could try and relocate out here. We are much more like the mountainous parts of northern Appalachia than we are like the flat parts of our own state. We have the ATK Rocket Center in nearby WV, if that is your specialized line of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland