Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:18 AM

14 posts, read 24,415 times

Advertisements

We're an Australian family probably moving to MD early next year, and we're starting to think about where we want to live. My husband has talked to colleagues who've spent time in MD and they said Annapolis is nice. I gather it's expensive, but his company will be paying our rent (how lucky are we! ) so that's not a huge worry for me at the moment.

BUT my husband would be working near Ft Meade and we're not sure what the commute would be like - can anyone tell me if it's realistic to live in Annapolis and commute to Ft Meade at peak hour traffic every day?

And secondly, we have two young children and our oldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall of 2012 so good schools and childcare are a major consideration, as is living in a family-friendly area with lots of parks and things to do with the kids. If anyone could recommend neighbourhoods to look for or to steer clear of it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,051,037 times
Not sure what you will be looking for, a house or apartment. I would be looking in the Severna Park/ Arnold area. Most of the commute would be on back roads(as opposed to limited access highways, which, here, means roads with on/off ramps only). West SP would probably be about a 15 minute commute.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks Cruzincat. We'd be looking for a house if that makes any difference.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM

1,759 posts, read 5,123,117 times
The commute wouldn't be that bad at all. Probably 15-25 miles depending on where you live in Annapolis.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie-Mom View Post
Thanks Cruzincat. We'd be looking for a house if that makes any difference.
That will actually make it easier to find something in Severna Park or Arnold. Especially if the company is willing to pay for a house vs an apartment.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,886,538 times
Crofton would also be a good option and probably a shorter/easier drive than Severna Park--good location as you're near Annapolis, DC, and Baltimore. Of course there's also Odenton that is very close; however, I'd probably stick to Piney Orchard as I like that neighborhood best.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks very much for the replies, I'm taking notes carefully

Old 07-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks very much for the replies, I'm taking notes carefully
Checkout the Annapolis/Anne Arundel County online newspaper forwhat kind of stories there are for the neighborhoods. Google "Hometown Annapolis" or "Capitol Online", and that should get you there. The bottom of the home page has links to stories by neighborhoods.

Pay attention to the police beats, crime reporting, etc.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM

My husband's work already has a house in North Laurel that we could move into apparently - in one of the newer areas around Gorman Rd if that means anything to anyone? It would be easier for us to move in there, especially as it's already furnished (less time in hotels and stressing about trying to find somewhere suitable) but we also have the option of looking for a different house somewhere else if that area isn't suitable - anyone have an opinion on this?

I gather the commute to Ft. Meade is easy from there... but is it otherwise a dreadful area? The elementary school has quite good reviews online, but I'm not sure how much credence to give what I read.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
My husband's work already has a house in North Laurel that we could move into apparently - in one of the newer areas around Gorman Rd if that means anything to anyone? It would be easier for us to move in there, especially as it's already furnished (less time in hotels and stressing about trying to find somewhere suitable) but we also have the option of looking for a different house somewhere else if that area isn't suitable - anyone have an opinion on this?

I gather the commute to Ft. Meade is easy from there... but is it otherwise a dreadful area? The elementary school has quite good reviews online, but I'm not sure how much credence to give what I read.
If you have the exact address, look at it and the area with Google Earth and use the street view option. Short of making the trip first to look at it, it may be your best option. I gather it would be in the Howard county section of Laurel, as opposed to Anne Arundel or Prince Georges county. Probably the better option of the three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland