U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,815 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the Baltimore/MD area and have been in the ATL area (Dacula) for about 3 yrs, and I might be relocating back to the MD area, working in Mt. Washington area. I am a married AA, w/2 young children, my question is that I've narrowed down my search to the York, PA and Frederick MD area b/c they have about the same amount of distance from Baltimore, which area do you folks think offers more in terms of schools, diversity, commute times and more for your money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM

866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Why not live in Baltimore itself? There are some very nice houses right in Mount Washington and in the surrounding communities. The Mount Washington Elementary School is rated very highly. Why subject yourself to a long commute when you can live close to work and spend more time with your family?

Mount Washington is pretty diverse. And in terms of getting more for your money, you'll just be spending that much more on gas and wear and tear on your car if you moved further out.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM

ok thanks we'll definetly consider that, I've heard that they have done alot of resedential building in that area within the last couple yearrs

Old 12-08-2011, 12:33 PM

11,542 posts, read 20,716,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtd4life View Post
I've narrowed down my search to the York, PA and Frederick MD area
Both York and Frederick are an extreme commute. There are plenty of decent communities closer in. I would second Mt. Washington. I would look at Eldersburg, Westminster and north of Hunt Valley if you want to get away from the city influence.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 PM

thanks will consider that, i guess i'm so used to commuting 45 min to an 1 hr having lived in red lion, then in ATL everywhere you go is a a commute..lol...is it possible to find a not too old SF house in those areas for 300-350000?

Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 PM

29,831 posts, read 65,508,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtd4life View Post
...is it possible to find a not too old SF house in those areas for 300-350000?
yes.
and maybe even within walk/bike distance to work.

Adjust the filters for more... but I see 34 possibles:
21209 Real Estate & 21209 Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM

866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
yes.
and maybe even within walk/bike distance to work.

Adjust the filters for more... but I see 34 possibles:
21209 Real Estate & 21209 Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
Great link - 8 of those properties were built between 2004 and now, including one townhouse and one house. The neighborhood is nice and has access to shops, a Whole Foods, and the light rail.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,545,322 times
I went to college in York PA and that drive once a month back home was miserable enough to not make me want to move there permanently. Mt. Washington has some very nice homes there.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 PM

22 posts, read 20,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Both York and Frederick are an extreme commute. There are plenty of decent communities closer in. I would second Mt. Washington. I would look at Eldersburg, Westminster and north of Hunt Valley if you want to get away from the city influence.

A friend of ours works in Bmore and lives in York, he says he drives about 40mins to work b/c its mostly interstate driving and the cost of living is lower there and he says the commute isn't that bad. So I don't understand why people say its grueling and horrible..I've read that on here before but if you live anywhere and you have to travel the interstate or expressway, you will be driving for at least 30min anyway I would think

Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 PM

22 posts, read 20,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
I went to college in York PA and that drive once a month back home was miserable enough to not make me want to move there permanently. Mt. Washington has some very nice homes there.

Wow is it really that bad? What happens on you guys interstates that is so bad,,is it congested or at a stand still? I'm asking b/c we are relocating as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland