U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 AM

7 posts, read 16,293 times

Advertisements

The only reason Ehrlich won was because the Democrats annoyed so many people with the way Kathleen Kennedy Townsend selected her running mate, that many people either stayed home or voted for the GOP. Eventually the Democrats will do something so irritating that it turns people off and the GOP will nominate a moderate candidate who will win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,672,264 times
to answer your question:

yes

Will have to be a moderate republican with good fiscal and social policy. that was ehrlich the first go around. The 2nd go around, he became (or at least his perception became) the tea party champion. That might fly in Oklahoma but not so much in MD.

The right republican candidate with the right mix of fiscal and social policy can win.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 AM

503 posts, read 696,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
to answer your question:

yes

Will have to be a moderate republican with good fiscal and social policy. that was ehrlich the first go around. The 2nd go around, he became (or at least his perception became) the tea party champion. .
That's not at all true. The TEA people were pulling for Brian Murphy and actively campaigned against Ehrlich even through the general election.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,557,921 times
As long as Montgomery County and PG County continues to grow, it will be tough. If you removed those two county's, I'm not sure there would ever be a Democratic Governor. Sure Baltimore City is democrat, but I think there is only 370k registered democrats, in which a percentage are actually Republicans like many people I know, and many of them never vote.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
That's not at all true. The TEA people were pulling for Brian Murphy and actively campaigned against Ehrlich even through the general election.

dude...seriously? the perception of liberals in md (read: blacks) was that ehrlich was backed by the tea party, whether it be true or not, that was the perception and he did nothing to shake that perception. in his first go around, ehrlich won a significant portion of black votes, which any candidate in md will have to. he did not fair as well this go around and i don't think it was due to the lack of steele.

the guy you mentioned carried NO name recognition whatsoever

Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM

5,260 posts, read 8,464,262 times
Quote:
dude...seriously? the perception of liberals in md (read: blacks) was that ehrlich was backed by the tea party, whether it be true or not, that was the perception and he did nothing to shake that perception. in his first go around, ehrlich won a significant portion of black votes, which any candidate in md will have to. he did not fair as well this go around and i don't think it was due to the lack of steele.

Yes, seriously. Anybody that follows politics knows that Murphy was the Tea-Party champion, he even had Palin's endorsement. Ehrlich was/is constantly called a RINO because of his moderate beliefs.

The GOP can't help it if a large part of the Maryland electorate is ignorant and doesn't bother to do their due diligence in researching the candidates before they vote.

But welcome to America, anybody can vote, even the uninformed.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM

503 posts, read 696,495 times
Quote:

Yes, as noted above....seriously.

Murphy may not have had any name recognition amongst liberals in MD (read: blacks) but he was most certainly the love child for the TEA party types. He was never going to get the liberal (read: black) vote in MD because they are going to reflexively vote for the democrat regardless of the republican platform.

Ehrlich is no conservative and that's why he lost the race for his second term when he was the incumbent. He sold out the people that elected him and the vast majority of them simply stayed home in 2006.

Nothing changed from 2006-2010 except that he was running uphill against a popular (for some unknown reason) incumbent democrat governor.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM

29,863 posts, read 65,576,555 times
Quote:
The right republican candidate with the right mix of fiscal and social policy can win.
But anyone with enough good political sense to balance that sort of reasonableness would have to be some sort of martyr or zealot to not seek their political future from within the Democratic party.

I used to work for a guy from Potomac back in the 80's...
he had a real hard time seeing this as the appeal of Don Schaefer (and Mandel before him).

Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Yes, seriously. Anybody that follows politics knows that Murphy was the Tea-Party champion, he even had Palin's endorsement. Ehrlich was/is constantly called a RINO because of his moderate beliefs.

The GOP can't help it if a large part of the Maryland electorate is ignorant and doesn't bother to do their due diligence in researching the candidates before they vote.

But welcome to America, anybody can vote, even the uninformed.
the question that was asked was do you think maryland will ever elect another republican. i said yes. others said no. my reasoning is that it would have to be a MODERATE republican as EHRLICH was his first go around. he was successfully painted as a tea party loyalist in his second go around and did nothing to shake that off of him. this post isn't about ignorant liberals or intelligent conservatives, it's about can a republican win the election in maryland. you will not win a statewide election if you are too far to the left or right in maryland. a moderate liberal or conservative can win imo. just depends on the issues they choose to support/attack.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 AM

34,828 posts, read 44,364,763 times
Quote:
the question that was asked was do you think maryland will ever elect another republican. i said yes. others said no. my reasoning is that it would have to be a MODERATE republican as EHRLICH was his first go around. he was successfully painted as a tea party loyalist in his second go around and did nothing to shake that off of him. this post isn't about ignorant liberals or intelligent conservatives, it's about can a republican win the election in maryland. you will not win a statewide election if you are too far to the left or right in maryland. a moderate liberal or conservative can win imo. just depends on the issues they choose to support/attack.

We'll see next time if either Gansler or Franchot is the nominee for Governor. Anthony Brown (who my money is on if I would bet) is more conservative than either of them Franchot is probably the most liberal of the three by a wide margin, although Gansler's no slouch either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or