U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:46 PM

34,878 posts, read 44,416,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I respect you. In my mind, you're one of about three regular posters on the Maryland forums that always makes thoughtful and knowledgeable contributions.

Thank you.

I didn't like this though
|
V
You say "Age of Obama" as if that's universally negative and then demonize the word "liberal." Yet your entire post was criticizing someone for stereotyping Republicans as religious nutjobs. Just seems a bit hypocritical to me.

I figured that since the hyperbole was flowing I'd step it up a notch. That phrase actually has been used by a couple local Democratic political operatives (not many Dem. elected officials in Calvert anymore, the best one was defeated for his 3rd term for Commissioner last year) right after the 2008 election. They were quite arrogant about it. Thiught I'd use it here.

Politics is the art of the possible. Those who have hard lines at either end tend to not be very successful. That's what a lot of people on here don't seem to understand, compromise doesn't mean "my way or the highway", something it took President Obama awhile to understand and which did, I believe, lead to some Democrats being defeated in 2010.

Governor O'Malley is a leader who doesn't compromise nor do many of the current Democratic leaders in the MD Legislature. They really don't have to because of the majorities held in both houses but you are seeing blowback at the County level with more Republican success. That's the geographic thing I mentione which one poster apparently can't understand.
Politicians also have core beliefs which won't allow compromise, abortion is one such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,400,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Tennessee is Maryland?

The Republicans in this state continually put up moderate blacks for office, but the democratic welfare dependent voters of this state refuse to break free from the mindset that the government is the answer to all ills.

As long as the left wing democrats of this state continue to have the unilateral power to take and spend other peoples' money to give away to the residents of Baltimore and PG, why would the people there vote any differently?
They put up "moderate blacks"? Sounds like a fun fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Mr. "Phenomenal," I have never said Mr. Ehrlich was a "liberal." Check my posts. I said he was a RINO, that is Republican in name only. He is a right leaning moderate. We don't live in Europe, comparing him to where US politicians fall the political spectrum is a far more useful comparison. The US media isn't slanted to the right in the least, except Fox News, which I assume you don't watch.

I am done holding your hand. Do the research. Learn what terms like "liberal" "moderate" "RINO" and the others we are using mean. Research Ehrlich. Go review my posts to see where I said anything other than the obvious truth.

The information and opinions you post don't add anything to a serious conversation about politics. I should just ignore you, but false assurety of having knowledge about politics, when you obviously don't, is just too much.

Are you still in high school? If so, I apologize for my brusqueness as you haven't had the proper time to learn. If you are older and just uninformed, then stick to what you do know, or learn more.
Well to the gentleman from the West Side, pretending Ehrlich is anything other than a conservative is ignorant. Saying Mr. Ehrlich isn't a conservative is like saying the Chrysler Building is short because it is shorter than the Sears Tower. You've just called names while I have pointed out how Ehrlich has been a right wing governor. Being a boy as you are you may not understand politics but I'd recommend the People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:40 AM

5,264 posts, read 8,473,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
They put up "moderate blacks"? Sounds like a fun fantasy.

Well to the gentleman from the West Side, pretending Ehrlich is anything other than a conservative is ignorant. Saying Mr. Ehrlich isn't a conservative is like saying the Chrysler Building is short because it is shorter than the Sears Tower. You've just called names while I have pointed out how Ehrlich has been a right wing governor. Being a boy as you are you may not understand politics but I'd recommend the People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.
I will try one more time. Ehrlich is right-leaning moderate. If you want to say he is "conservative" that is a fair label IF you choose to define anyone right of center as "conservative." He isn't a fire breathing America destroying teabagging right wing monster. He is a RINO. He could easily be a "Blue Dog" Democrat.

You need to learn the difference between extreme positions and moderate ones.

You need to learn that a candidate's party affiliation doesn't define their beliefs or policies. You need to take each candidate's positions as they are......not pigeonhole them because of a "R" or "D" after their name.

You need to learn that there are others that know more than you and learn from them rather than argue with them and expose your lack of knowledge.

You need to do more than read a book before you feel you can lecture others on what they do in "real life," which is to be a public servant, like NPB, or work for them (both Ds and Rs) like myself. I have read dozens of books about physics, but I wouldn't dare embarrass myself trying to debate experimental physicists on what they do for a living.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM

29,874 posts, read 65,654,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone...
Ehrlich can be considered a right-leaning moderate within the scope of most of the fiscal and financial matters that most day to day governance should be limited to. If you want to say he is "conservative" on the 4 or 5 hot button social issues that rarely have anything to do with day to day governance that is a fair label IF you choose to define anyone right of center as "conservative" who have similar views on those 4 or 5 hot button social issues.
Yes, I would choose that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
He (Ehrlich) isn't a fire breathing America destroying teabagging right wing monster...
But because of his views on the social issues, and the insistence on making those 4 or 5 hot button
social issues that rarely have anything to do with day to day governance
the arbiter of electability...
he must appeal to them to get elected the same as left leaning moderates have to do the inverse.

Quote:
He is a RINO.
Meh. Nearly everyone in the GOP is a RINO today.
I'd love to see some actual Republicans again.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-23-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 09:21 AM

84 posts, read 212,837 times
Lets pay we get some Republicans in many areas of government, especially in higher positions

Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 AM

568 posts, read 1,227,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
...I'd recommend the People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.
This about says it all about your left-wing fringe frame of reference. Who else do you look to for inspiration? Noam Chomsky? Che Guevera? George Galloway?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM

7,483 posts, read 7,905,042 times
I certainly hope so. I was away on vacation when it happened, and still can't believe people elected Martin O'Malley over Bob Erlich the first time. O'Malley wasn't in two weeks before he raised taxes.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:47 PM

386 posts, read 568,404 times
Well traditionally Maryland has been a blue state up until the1950s where we dabbled as a red state for a while. But once we got an influx from up north we became very similar to the northeast politically and I dont see that changing anytime soon unless jobs disapear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, nothing messes people up like a balanced budget and leaving office with an actual surplus.
I laughed at this. I remember dreading the trainwreck guy from baltimore that replaced him. Where are we now? Higher taxes and broke...I still dont understand how he raised taxes and yet we still have no money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or