Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:40 PM

6,979 posts, read 11,259,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
The right wingers in the Republican party have only themselves to blame. They've gone so far to the right that they will never nominate someone electable in Maryland. Who will run against Democrat X in 2014? Probably some anonymous right ring nobody state senator will face off against Anthony Brown, Peter Franchot or Doug Gansler.

Republicans have gone so off their nut that they don't consider Ehrlich to be a conservative just because he is to the left of the extreme right that has taken over the party. When Republicans put up people who weren't fire breathing pansies who kowtow to the far right, they'd win elections in blue areas. The real action will be in the Democratic primary and if Maryland ends up with a somewhat more conservative governor, it will be because a fiscally conservative Democrat has won the primary. It's a lot like DC, they had 2 conservative governors in a row: Anthony Williams and Adrian Fenty. They were elected under the Democratic banner.
You and I have talked about Ehrlich before. Everybody knows he is a RINO, I even provided you with links. If you don't recognize that, you have no objective place in this conversation, which until you came in was a serious discussion, not an MSNBC show.

When you make it through Poly-Sci 102, check back in and we can continue this conversation. Until then, please leave it those of us that understand politics beyond the level of partisan cheerleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 05:54 PM

45,214 posts, read 60,360,574 times
Quote:
You're just being ridiculous now, forgetting that the Religious Right scares the crap out of normal people and that that is not a factor in elections. Also why do you go by the pathetic argument that because more counties in a state vote for someone that they gain legitimacy? Land doesn't vote homey.

You're setting arbitrary boundaries on voter behavior. If being a right winger was so great, everyone would do it, people dont say "oo i live in so and so county, i will vote for the person my county is likely to vote for".

Like I said, if the GOP didn't try as hard as they can to get a right wing candidate in every race regardless of its appropriateness to the electorate, they would do well. Look at the banner year 2010 for Republicans where they never did better. Sharon Angle in Nevada, Ken Buck in Colorado, Christine O'Donnell in Delaware and Joe Miller in Alaska were all Republicans who lost their Senate races. Appealing to the nasty anti-Hispanic and pro rich bigots won't win elections in places with normal people. I reiterate that if a conservative gets elected in Maryland, he will be a Democrat, the Republicans have burned every bridge and lost the Northeast other than PA.
Once you wade through your "all Republicans are religious nutjobs" tirade I think you're missing the main point which is that, Gubernatorial election results notwithstanding, MD is geographically a conservative state. No one is saying otherwise except you. Even Democrats in the rural areas can be considered conservative in relation to the Democrats from the DC/Baltimore axis. And unfortunately you also reflect the "Democrat good/Republican bad" meme that is so prevalent on this Forum in general.

What's funny, after your "Religious Right" comment I went through my mental Rolodex of the statewide Republican Legislators I know (all of them, by the way) and the only one that can be fairly described as a "Religious Right" guy is Dwyer from Anne Arundel. But then again, your description is par for the course in the Age of Obama, anyone that disagrees with the ultra-liberal Democrat Party of 2011 is a Religious Republican Nut Job. I find the silence about conservative Democrats deafening, though. So Party does trump everything after all.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:10 PM

503 posts, read 805,824 times
Quote:
You're just being ridiculous now, forgetting that the Religious Right scares the crap out of normal people and that that is not a factor in elections. Also why do you go by the pathetic argument that because more counties in a state vote for someone that they gain legitimacy? Land doesn't vote homey.

You're setting arbitrary boundaries on voter behavior. If being a right winger was so great, everyone would do it, people dont say "oo i live in so and so county, i will vote for the person my county is likely to vote for".

Like I said, if the GOP didn't try as hard as they can to get a right wing candidate in every race regardless of its appropriateness to the electorate, they would do well. Look at the banner year 2010 for Republicans where they never did better. Sharon Angle in Nevada, Ken Buck in Colorado, Christine O'Donnell in Delaware and Joe Miller in Alaska were all Republicans who lost their Senate races. Appealing to the nasty anti-Hispanic and pro rich bigots won't win elections in places with normal people. I reiterate that if a conservative gets elected in Maryland, he will be a Democrat, the Republicans have burned every bridge and lost the Northeast other than PA.

And which one of those "right wing religious extremists" ran in MD?

None.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Once you wade through your "all Republicans are religious nutjobs" tirade I think you're missing the main point which is that, Gubernatorial election results notwithstanding, MD is geographically a conservative state. No one is saying otherwise except you. Even Democrats in the rural areas can be considered conservative in relation to the Democrats from the DC/Baltimore axis. And unfortunately you also reflect the "Democrat good/Republican bad" meme that is so prevalent on this Forum in general.

What's funny, after your "Religious Right" comment I went through my mental Rolodex of the statewide Republican Legislators I know (all of them, by the way) and the only one that can be fairly described as a "Religious Right" guy is Dwyer from Anne Arundel. But then again, your description is par for the course in the Age of Obama, anyone that disagrees with the ultra-liberal Democrat Party of 2011 is a Religious Republican Nut Job. I find the silence about conservative Democrats deafening, though. So Party does trump everything after all.

Amen. Delegate Dwyer is the ONLY one in the general assembly campaigning (and winning I might add) on socially conservative issues like abortion and gay marriage.

The powers that be in Annapolis are so afraid of Anne Arundel County that they had to divide it up into 4 congressional districts to nullify their vote on the federal level, but now are also carving up district 30 and 31 in an attempt to gerrymander some guaranteed democrat votes in areas that are otherwise tending conservatively.

It's pathetic and transparent.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,396,169 times
Unless there is some ideological shift among African Americans or more whites move to the Right, I don't see it. The state is nearly a 1/3 Black who universally go for the Dems. The white vote is split more or less evenly. Factor in the Hispanic growth and it doesn't look good for the GOP in Maryland as far as statewide office goes.

There are more states with higher Black proportions that are reliably red but the white population in those states are more conservative.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Unless there is some ideological shift among African Americans or more whites move to the Right, I don't see it. The state is nearly a 1/3 Black who universally go for the Dems. The white vote is split more or less evenly. Factor in the Hispanic growth and it doesn't look good for the GOP in Maryland as far as statewide office goes.

There are more states with higher Black proportions that are reliably red but the white population in those states are more conservative.
Why would the blacks in PG County or Baltimore City change their votes? The democrat party has been paying them off in exchange for their votes for decades.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,933,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You and I have talked about Ehrlich before. Everybody knows he is a RINO, I even provided you with links. If you don't recognize that, you have no objective place in this conversation, which until you came in was a serious discussion, not an MSNBC show.

When you make it through Poly-Sci 102, check back in and we can continue this conversation. Until then, please leave it those of us that understand politics beyond the level of partisan cheerleading.
I remember talking with you about Ehrlich before, with you spouting nonsense about how Ehrlich was supposedly a liberal. When you have a perspective as skewed as yours, you'll see anyone with the tiniest shred of sanity as being a RINO, anyone who won't kick every illegal immigrant out of the country or will treat a Muslim with human decency. I remember your tea party boy Murphy. Him being more conservative than Ehrlich does not make Ehrlich a liberal. I'd suggest looking at European or Canadian politicians and seeing where Mr. Ehrlich falls on that spectrum, the US is skewed because of the massive right wing ownership of the media.

Quote:

Uh huh, a "geographically conservative state"? Land can vote now? Point out which topography can vote, I can't remember if it is plains or mountainous regions. I don't know all the statewide legislators but I'll guarantee you the Tea Partiers will put someone right and nutty up for governor in 2014 and that person will get shredded. I seriously doubt I'll be proven wrong but I hope I am, I'd love to see a moderate sensible Republican run for governor but it's more likely I'll marry Jessica Alba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Why would the blacks in PG County or Baltimore City change their votes? The democrat party has been paying them off in exchange for their votes for decades.
Don't spout crap, tell your Republican party to stop explicitly demonizing blacks and maybe they will get somewhere. Remember that "call me Harold' ad in Tennessee with the white woman implying she slept with 2006 Democratic Senate candidate Harold Ford (who is black). Thing is, Republican party would be up a creek if they stopped their racial demagoguery, they'd have to find some other way to manipulate the poor but braindead.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 AM

389 posts, read 796,049 times
Quote:

I respect you. In my mind, you're one of about three regular posters on the Maryland forums that always makes thoughtful and knowledgeable contributions. I didn't like this though
|
V
Quote:
But then again, your description is par for the course in the Age of Obama, anyone that disagrees with the ultra-liberal Democrat Party of 2011 is a Religious Republican Nut Job.
You say "Age of Obama" as if that's universally negative and then demonize the word "liberal." Yet your entire post was criticizing someone for stereotyping Republicans as religious nutjobs. Just seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:

Don't spout crap, tell your Republican party to stop explicitly demonizing blacks and maybe they will get somewhere. Remember that "call me Harold' ad in Tennessee with the white woman implying she slept with 2006 Democratic Senate candidate Harold Ford (who is black). Thing is, Republican party would be up a creek if they stopped their racial demagoguery, they'd have to find some other way to manipulate the poor but braindead.
Tennessee is Maryland?

The Republicans in this state continually put up moderate blacks for office, but the democratic welfare dependent voters of this state refuse to break free from the mindset that the government is the answer to all ills.

As long as the left wing democrats of this state continue to have the unilateral power to take and spend other peoples' money to give away to the residents of Baltimore and PG, why would the people there vote any differently?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:40 AM

6,979 posts, read 11,259,192 times
Mr. "Phenomenal," I have never said Mr. Ehrlich was a "liberal." Check my posts. I said he was a RINO, that is Republican in name only. He is a right leaning moderate. We don't live in Europe, comparing him to where US politicians fall the political spectrum is a far more useful comparison. The US media isn't slanted to the right in the least, except Fox News, which I assume you don't watch.

I am done holding your hand. Do the research. Learn what terms like "liberal" "moderate" "RINO" and the others we are using mean. Research Ehrlich. Go review my posts to see where I said anything other than the obvious truth.

The information and opinions you post don't add anything to a serious conversation about politics. I should just ignore you, but false assurety of having knowledge about politics, when you obviously don't, is just too much.

Are you still in high school? If so, I apologize for my brusqueness as you haven't had the proper time to learn. If you are older and just uninformed, then stick to what you do know, or learn more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland