Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 18,809 times

Advertisements

as the title says will md ever see another republican governor or just any position in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM

503 posts, read 807,322 times
I doubt that you will ever see any sort of balanced representation in this state as the current party in power has pretty much done every conceivable thing possible to see that there will never be a duality of governance.

We've gerrymandered the federal districts to the point where it's entirely likely that the 1st district will be the only one that stands outside of the democratic power structure.

We're punishing Anne Arundel County, the largest center/right-leaning county in the state for their failure to get with the program.

I'd say it's highly unlikely that MD will ever be a two party state on any level.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
There are plenty of Republican officeholders in the County seats as Commissioners, Sheriffs, Clerks of Court, States Attorneys, Judges of the Orphan's Courts and Register and Recorders. So the grass roots strength is there. The problem is getting statewide recognition and getting crossover votes.

Ehrlich could have and should have won last year (and in 2006 for re-election which would have taken last year off the table). In both years O'Malley didn't run against him but against Bush, which, being MD, turned out to be a winning strategy.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Sure, a Republican will eventually win. Will I be alive to see it? I give that about 50-50 odds.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Sure, a Republican will eventually win. Will I be alive to see it? I give that about 50-50 odds.
My folks still live in Montgomery County in the new gerrymandered district and they will be voting for Roscoe Barlett if he runs again, as well many of my extended family. The portions of MoCo in that new district are not the most liberal ones like Silver Spring or Bethesda with their yuppies and Section 8 types, its more middle class with some Asian American populations which are not as liberal as other minority groups, many are actually Christians and vote Republican for that reason. Many in Rockville and Gaithersburg are opposed to PlanMaryland and high density development as well, and are sick of illegal immigration.

I think with the Dream Act on the ballot that will get a lot more conservatives out to the polls to vote to overturn it. I helped to overturn it by circulating the petition in several counties and universally people have signed it without hesitation, especially in Baltimore County, Carroll, and Harford. If gay marriage is passed it will also be petitioned to a referendum no doubt about that which will draw out more conservative, including religious voters.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9494 View Post
as the title says will md ever see another republican governor or just any position in general
Probably.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
God forbid.

Hopefully, the good citizens of Maryland will remember the bad, old days of Ehrlich for a very long time to come and keep the Free State blue, at least for the next few generations.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
God forbid.

Hopefully, the good citizens of Maryland will remember the bad, old days of Ehrlich for a very long time to come and keep the Free State blue, at least for the next few generations.

Yeah, nothing messes people up like a balanced budget and leaving office with an actual surplus.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I don't recall the days of Ehrlich being all that bad.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM

503 posts, read 807,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
God forbid.

Yes....of course anything that's wrong with MD is the fault of the sole Republican to hold the governor's office in 40 years and not the democratic majority that has controlled not only that office but something like 70% of the general assembly as well.

Makes for a nice campaign sound byte, but it really doesn't play well for anyone who has two functional synapses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland