U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:54 PM

3 posts, read 3,476 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to Hanover, MD. We are looking for a SAFE area which is easy to commute to Bethesda, DC are ( That's where I will most likely be getting a job).

I have searched Columbia, it seems like a nice place; however, it is kind of far from DC. Also, I could not really find a nice apartment complex there.

Our budget is 1700-2000 for 2 bedroom. I am looking for a nice apartment which is somewhat new with nice features( new appliances hopefully)
If you know a specific apartment complex please let me know.

Also, we have no idea in which city we should look for an apartment. Columbia, Laurel, Odenton,Crafton? It would be nice to have convenient shopping and nice bars& restaurants, maybe?

Although Miami is nice, I am sooo looking forward to relocate

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,408,323 times
I would first try Bethesda (yes I know it's expensive), Grosvenor, White Flint or Rockville to see if there are any apts in your budget. I'm only saying these places is because they have metro stops with the same name and apts nearby potentially within your budget. They are also closer to where you work.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:37 PM

49 posts, read 142,177 times
Depends on your transportation needs. Do both of you plan on commuting by car to Hanover & Bethesda or do you rely on more transportation options?

Hanover is next to BWI. How close to BWI will your husband be working?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:42 PM

BTW, I will probably suggest Greenbelt, depending on your response. Here's why:

Easy access to 295 (Parkway) by car to get to Hanover

On the DC metrorail system (Green Line), although you have to go thru town to get to Bethesda. Laurel is not, although you do have the MARC train.

Easy access to I-95 (useful for DC 'burbs like Bethesda) and north to Baltimore area.

A couple of shuttles to BWI available.

Your rent range is fine. I have to put some thought into complexes I'd consider checking out.

What about the school system? Kids? Ages? Excellent HS in the Greenbelt area, Eleanor Roosevelt, if you have a gifted and talented science student in the house.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Thank you so much for all your comments so far.

I am looking at all those places you have suggested.
As far as transportation, we plan to drive. We are from Dallas and public transportation is going to be something new for us. Until we get used to the area, we plan to drive, so accessing to metro is not our main concern at this time. Also, we have no kids.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM

11,547 posts, read 20,739,799 times
Columbia is probably your best option for finding a nice apartment. However this is worth a look: 7810 Contee Road, Laurel, MD - Apartment For Rent - Realtor.com®

Laurel hasn't been known for upscale apartments before, but this place is brand new.

Clarksville is also a new and improving area, and fairly central, for example: 5910 Great Star Dr Unit 304 Clarksville MD - Home for Rent - MLS #HW7703648 - Realtor.com® This place is a condo, and there were several units like this available. I think it would be very safe, and Clarksville is a nicer area than Laurel.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:16 AM

11,547 posts, read 20,739,799 times
I mis-read your budget as a maximum of $2000/month. I still think Clarksville is a good option, and here's another condo: 5800 Clipper Ln #306 Clarksville MD - Home for Rent - MLS #HW7726535 - Realtor.com® .

Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 AM

Default if you don't need public transportation nearby,

then Laurel is a decent compromise. Your husband still gets the better deal because it's a straight shot up 295 to Hanover, but you're going to have a more complicated commute, regardless, unless you get very near Bethesda.

If your number one priority is safety, you could give this complex a look:

Availability - Concord Park At Russett

The area is very suburban. The price range is right.

You'll have no problem finding bars, esp sports bars in either Columbia or other parts of Laurel. Not next door, but not too far away, either. Even plenty of dives with "character."

Google Corridor Marketplace Shopping Center -- it's the closest one for quick stuff.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:14 PM

332 posts, read 1,161,197 times
I would search for places closer to Bethesda and make your commute to Hanover longer. (if you are sure you are going to go to Bethesda.

If you decide on Columbia I would try town center perhap Kings Contrivance or Owen Brown. You might also want to look at Hanover, Elkridge and Laurel.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much Y'all. I appreciate your time.

We are going to MD in a few days to find a place.

I hear that Crafton is a pretty decent area as well. Any Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or