U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:03 PM

354 posts, read 1,034,271 times

Advertisements

ajillity, for resale value, I think the homes near the Elkridge/EC border will keep their value better than the areas of Elkridge close to Rt 1, and I think that area will rise in popularity as the east/west commuter traffic gets worse and the new Ft Meade employees realize there is an advantage to being east of I-95. The schools may not be considered the best of the best, but they're VERY good and some of the elementary schools are as good as any in the county. EC areas near Hebron and Centennial are still popular and have excellent schools, but it may be harder to find something in that price range.

Feel free to pm me if you want to ignore the trolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 PM

11,543 posts, read 20,716,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajillity81 View Post
What are some of better neighborhoods called? What are the better school districts?
I can only offer my experience living in Longfellow in Columbia. I don't think there are any "bad" townhouse neighborhoods in your price range. Some elementary schools get lower or average ratings: Bryant Woods, Phelps Luck and Cradlerock get rated 4 of 10, and Swansfield and Talbott Springs get rated 5 of 10. Some of the rating may be due to lower-income kids from the subsidized apartments. But the integration of all income levels was in the founders' philosopy of Columbia. If living near subsidized apartments is a problem for you, there are plenty of alternatives. Personally I think Columbia has a lot of advantages over Ellicott City or Elkridge because of the Columbia Association sports facilities. No attacks on you were intended.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
Just throwing out a couple of suggestions, with an emphasis on current school assignments and not so much on trail access, etc.

You may want to look at the townhouse communities off of Toll House Road, which runs parallel to Route 29. These units seem to priced in the low to mid $300K range. Elementary school is Veterans, which is frankly overcrowded at the moment and serves a diverse student population. The middle and high school assignments are Ellicott Mills and Centennial, respectively.

Another small townhouse community is located off of Plum Tree Drive, also in Ellicott City. This is a modest, diverse neighborhood with well-regarded schools (Northfield, Dunloggin, and Centennial).

The Dorsey Search townhouse communities in Ellicott City are currently split between two elementary schools; their middle (Dunloggin) and high school (Wilde Lake) assignments are the same. I don't know the exact development names, but the town homes on Leyden Way are in the Northfield ES district while all of the other communities are in the Thunder Hill ES district. Basically one side of Columbia Road attends NES and the other side attends THES. I think at some point the THES students will be moved to NES. Which brings up a point made by others: there are spasms of redistricting in Howard County. It's been relatively quiet; however, next year in August a wave of redistricting is beginning in the southern part of the county and moving westward. (Also noting that Dorsey Search has a Columbia side as well that comprises some very nice townhouse communities. Route 108 is the line of demarcation. If you live on the Columbia side of DS, the elementary school is Running Brook.)

I would suggest looking at redfin.com if you're not already using that site. I find it provides more information than realtor.com, especially in terms of comps. If you really want to dive into the school-related stuff, the Howard County Public School System website is very useful.

One last comment in regard to the Columbia Association and its facilities. Even if you live in a CA-accessed property, you will be paying an extra fee to use their facilities. Also, as previously noted, you can join the CA as an non-resident.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM

11,543 posts, read 20,716,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anapest View Post
I would suggest looking at redfin.com if you're not already using that site.
Thanks for the suggestion about redfin.com . If you get a whole area like "Ellicott City", townhouses in a price range, you can see matching houses in a spread-sheet form. Then you can sort the columns, like by square feet or price per SF. You can even download the groups of houses, so you could save to compare to other sites, eg. to get the school zones.

FWIW, there's a bright open house that I loved. It in is The Sanctuary, off Old Waterloo Road, with an Elkridge address, and Deep Run ES, Long Reach HS. It's $315K.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-23-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM

354 posts, read 1,034,271 times
Quote:
The Dorsey Search townhouse communities in Ellicott City are currently split between two elementary schools; their middle (Dunloggin) and high school (Wilde Lake) assignments are the same. I don't know the exact development names, but the town homes on Leyden Way are in the Northfield ES district while all of the other communities are in the Thunder Hill ES district. Basically one side of Columbia Road attends NES and the other side attends THES. I think at some point the THES students will be moved to NES.....
Thanks for this. I'd been hearing about the THES => NES move for so long that I'd assumed it had already happened. They're both great schools.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,402,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
Thanks for this. I'd been hearing about the THES => NES move for so long that I'd assumed it had already happened. They're both great schools.
Actually if you look at the current redistricting plan it's not even on the table for the next redistricting. Everyone assumes it will happen at some point, but THES is under construction and adding capacity right now, so I don't think it will be any time soon.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:18 PM

913 posts, read 2,936,868 times
get the those are map, get a dart, whenever it land on the map you will be fine...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 AM

766 posts, read 1,418,418 times
If you like biking, running and triatholons, I would get as close to Patapsco state park so you can train there. Killer hills along Illchester Road, mtn biking and trail running in the park (you'd be set for an xterra). $325k gets you a town home in a very desireable (ok, not to some) Worthington ES neighborhood (Ellicott Mills MS, Mt. Hebron HS) who knows, you may like the area so much your kids may end up at the school. Something's for sale on Village Crest Dr for example in the Taylor Village subdivision. It's definitely cookie cutter, but the people sure aren't. It's down the road (3 miles) from the YMCA and it has an outdoor pool - 25m (they have a kids swim team in the summer). The Y has an AM triatholon swim class and an evening masters swim program. The only thing about the neighborhood is you'll be surprised at how hilly the area is. Good luck and if nothing else, check out Patapsco and Rockburn Park.

Also, this isn't the "Best area" for everyone (you might never want to go hiking on the trails or take part in a mtn biking race on Sat AM). But if you into these types of activities, why not live as close as possible. That being said, another option is to live over by the Baltimore-Annapolis trail.

Last edited by carroll4628; 01-18-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM

766 posts, read 1,418,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
Lots of non-Columbia residents use the Columbia athletic facilities. Plus, there is the newly remodeled YMCA in EC. And people everywhere go to Life Time Fitness in Columbia.
The Elkridge Athletic Club has a small lap pool that is nearly always empty. The gym isn't posh, but it's fine if you're lifting weights, running, and want to swim a few laps.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 25,785 times
I would stay out of the Long Reach area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland