U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 PM

343 posts, read 671,207 times

Advertisements

im black and dont see a problem with the name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM

386 posts, read 567,662 times
Yall do know that the word negro means black in spanish and is the same as caucasian. The reason its offensive is due to ignorant people using it in a demeaning way and others allowing it to have power. Rename it? I could care less as its a mountain. But then again Im not effected by the false power of the word.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,346,568 times
NO! I'm a negress and I say Negro Mountain is an awesome name. It simply means black mountain. GOD somebody pls stop these idiot politicians! Thanks for bringing their current stupid issue to my attention.

Let me guess...they'd like to name it "African American Mountain." I'm sure the Klan's behind this. Oh lord: en. Lisa Gladden is seeking a commission to study the issue. Obviously there is not enough for those guys to do in our state. I guess I have a few emails to write.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:34 PM

7,252 posts, read 11,542,965 times
I thought this dumb controversy was dead? They'll never change it (nor should they).

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM

379 posts, read 730,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
What is so wrong with re-naming this place?
Nothing's wrong with renaming it. Things get renamed all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Quote:
Sen. Lisa Gladden is seeking a commission to study the issue. Many historians believe the peak, which crosses into Pennsylvania, is meant to honor a black frontiersman who died defending white settlers from Native Americans. In most accounts, his name is Nemesis.
According to the the senator's quote, the mountain should be named Nemesis mountain. If the name of the mountain was meant to honor the frontiersman and his name was Nemesis, how in the world did they come up with its current name then?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,043,121 times
cos he was black maybe

Mt. Nemesis would be pretty awesome though.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM

40,718 posts, read 17,562,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Nothing's wrong with renaming it. Things get renamed all the time.

According to the the senator's quote, the mountain should be named Nemesis mountain. If the name of the mountain was meant to honor the frontiersman and his name was Nemesis, how in the world did they come up with its current name then?
I vote for Colored Mountain.

If it is good for the NAACP ( National Association for the Advancement of COLORED people), it's good enough for me.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:45 PM

199 posts, read 366,158 times
I don't like painting over our history. After World War I many German-sounding communities in the US adopted anglophone names. High Schools today have largely dropped native mascots deemed offensive. I'd like to think the separation of the name with the perception of a people can gradually occur, so that in time we can overlook a 'Negro Mountain', the 'Washington Redskins' or ND State's 'Fighting Sioux' without harkening to the intense discrimination that had occurred under which those institutions and places were named. They also have intense history in themselves, and remind us that our history was not quite so Disney and washed over.

I'd admit to raising an eyebrow if I saw a sign for 'Negro Mountain', but as an amateur historian I appreciate its source and would hope a hundred years from now generations could still ponder its name and the effect it must have had as people grappled with that.

Mt. Nemesis does sound intimidating, too. Perhaps the mountain deserves two names.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:15 PM

379 posts, read 730,316 times
If the mountain was named 'negro mountain' because the frontiersman was black, shouldn't the caption under George Washington's name on the dollar bill say, 'whitey? instead of 'george washington'?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 PM

5,257 posts, read 8,457,683 times
Read back through the thread. They don't know his name was Nemesis, other accounts call him Goliah. The account of his fatal encounter on the mountain allegedly occured in the mid-17th century, the story didn't come make it into print into the mid-late 19th. That is over 100 years as an oral story. I give credit to oral history, I find them a great starting place for local history, but it isn't always accurate.

For instance, the folk story is that "Savage Mountain" was named as such because it is where the Indians lived there and their camp fires could be seen there for generations. Further research showed that it was named after John Savage, the first surveyor to map it.

Sadly, we won't ever know the gentleman's name. Negro Mountain is named in his honor. I repeat, his HONOR, he was respected by his white peers enough to have one of the biggest mountains in the state named after him. Heck, maybe they named it Negro Mountain as a honor to his entire race. We just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland