U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,586,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I would think that Negro mountain would be the least offensive of any name. Negro is derived from the word negroid. Negroid is merely a racial classification. It is a scientific name. For a black person to be offended by it would be equivilent to a white person being offended by being classified as a caucasian. Or a Mexican being called a latino. Or a Chinese person being called a oriental.

They could change it now and then in 10, 20 or 50 years, when black people decide they no longer want to be called black, we could just change it again to whatever the preference is at the moment.
"Race" hasn't been considered a scientific concept (in the scientific community) for many years. Rather, we speak of gene pools, a concept which amongst other things points up the spread, variability, gradations, and continuum of a range of genetic features across populations, as opposed to what is really the scientifically invalid classification of phenotypic characteristics in terms of discrete "racial" groups. Apart from this, the notion of "race" is a social construct, again historically built on observable and superificial phenotypic features, often legislatively codified in places like the United States under the slavery and later Jim Crow regimes, in South Africa under the apartheid regime, and in Germany under the Nazi regime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I prefer the term Negro, I think it is the best of the various terms we've had over the years. I don't see the point in changing the name of the mountain, if that's the mountains name then that's is it's name.
Apostrophes can be confusing, I suppose.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:21 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,229,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
"Race" hasn't been considered a scientific concept (in the scientific community) for many years. Rather, we speak of gene pools, a concept which amongst other things points up the spread, variability, gradations, and continuum of a range of genetic features across populations, as opposed to what is really the scientifically invalid classification of phenotypic characteristics in terms of discrete "racial" groups. Apart from this, the notion of "race" is a social construct, again historically built on observable and superificial phenotypic features, often legislatively codified in places like the United States under the slavery and later Jim Crow regimes, in South Africa under the apartheid regime, and in Germany under the Nazi regime.
Race or gene pool? And a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Call it what you will for the sake of political correctness.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Race or gene pool? And a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Call it what you will for the sake of political correctness.
The two concepts are absolutely not the same. Gene Pool describes the reality of how genetic characteristics (genotypes) are distributed throughout populations. For example, a significant number of people in England who can trace their ancestry there back over many generations and centuries turn out upon genetic testing to carry significant genetic markers of North African and/or Asiatic ancestry. Obviously, populations like those of Sicily, Malta, or the Americas are even more genetically mixed. By contrast, populations in places like Iceland, most of Japan, and until recently much of continental Scandinavia have been far more genetically homogenous. To take a widespread genotype that exists in much of the Mediterranean world and in much of Africa, and is relatively common in North American groups with descent from these populations, there is a gene that protects against infection with malaria if only a single gene is present at a specific location on an individual's DNA; however, if two genes are present in the DNA strand (inherited from two parents, each of whom may have only a single protective gene), then this genetic endowment is expressed phenotypically as sickle-cell anemia.

By contrast, the notion of race involves socially constructed categories based only on a small group of visible phenotypic characteristics, most notably skin pigmentation. Yes, there were attempts in the 19th Century to justify or standardize these outward characteristics along measurable, supposedly scientific lines. However, this was "science" following spurious premises.

To take another example, it now appears that approximately 4% of the genetic endowment (DNA)of typical persons of predominantly northern European descent represents DNA that is unique to the extinct line, Homo Neanderthalensis (formerly designated Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis, which still might be the better designation), i.e. Neanderthal Man. To discuss the implications of that finding goes beyond what I can reasonably post here, but you might begin to get some sense of things from this.

No, it's not political correctness and it's not a matter of "a rose by any other name..."

Negro Mountain may be a perfectly fine name for a landmark, but the name expresses socio-historical constructs, not a scientifc one.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:09 PM

913 posts, read 2,939,018 times
African American have much more problems they are facing and you are worried about a mountain named negro mountain? How about ban the beer negro beer (a brand) how about asking all the blacks to change their last name White to something else? ..where is the priority???

Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM

428 posts, read 713,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Apostrophes can be confusing, I suppose.
I should care because?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM

57,906 posts, read 76,880,876 times
fine im ok with that, but please not martin luther king mountain.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,976,987 times
Why does this thread keep getting resurrected? Yes they probably should rename Negro Mountain. They should probably also rename the Florida Cracker Trail, "Crackers" first defined to the English nobility as the Scots-Irish and lowland English settlers in the following passage - "I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by Crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas, and Georgia, who often change their places of abode."

While we are at it, we should change the name of Grand Teton Mountain which is French for "Large Tit". Or we could just assume that prior to 1900 over one in ten Americans were illiterate with the highest rates in the South. So therefore, you probably didn't get the most sophisticated individuals naming places throughout American history. But even if you get a goofy conquistador naming an inlet on the coast of Florida "Rat Mouth", give it time and a place such as "Boca Raton" can actually evolve into a downright luxurious location.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM

795 posts, read 1,075,178 times
That is a cool story... negro saves the whites from indians and they name a moutain after him... or rather after his color. How many blacks lived near there at the time? I'm not sure we have the full story anyway... to really make a decision on this one.

Although, I'm rather sure those whites did not mean anything from that name... some older blacks have no issue with being called negro. Plus, heck, I'm sure they were not the most educated people in the land.

African American and all that stuff is new anyway... what the hell does AA mean anyway? It is long and silly. I think Tiger Woods has it right... yea, that guy. Ha, ha....

Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM

5,263 posts, read 8,470,056 times
Don't forget "Roman Nose Mountain" in Garrett County. It looks....just like the name, no offense of course to the Romans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland