U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:35 PM

10,136 posts, read 12,010,435 times

Advertisements

I know this is somewhat old, but I am still a little baffled by this. What an utterly ridiculous name for a place. What is so wrong with re-naming this place?

Maryland Politics: Lawmakers contemplate 'Negro Mountain' - Politics and Policy from Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington - baltimoresun.com

Quote:
Sen. Lisa Gladden is seeking a commission to study the issue. Many historians believe the peak, which crosses into Pennsylvania, is meant to honor a black frontiersman who died defending white settlers from Native Americans. In most accounts, his name is Nemesis.
"We're clear that Negro Mountain has a name," Gladden told her colleagues. "We need to make history as right as we can."
The Baltimore Democrat argues that the mountain should be called Nemesis Mountain. She was the only person to testify in favor of her proposal. Western Maryland's four lawmakers, all Republicans, testified against her, saying their constituents want to preserve the name out of respect for history.
How is naming something Negro Mountain paying respect? I'm sorry these people seem to be out of touch. For a majority of black people in this country, especially those that have gone through or have had ancestors that have gone through the civil rights movement, the word Negro isn't derogatory but it is indeed offensive. I think this is a matter of political leaders who are out of touch with other cultures. This is as insensitive as the Redskins keeping their name. What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 01:32 PM

428 posts, read 712,687 times
I prefer the term Negro, I think it is the best of the various terms we've had over the years. I don't see the point in changing the name of the mountain, if that's the mountains name then that's is it's name.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,098,884 times
I honestly can see both sides of the argument and understand where each is coming from. I'll admit.....it is an odd name, and to someone from outside of the area driving by......well I'll bet there is a lot of head scratching. Folks West of Frederick hate it when Baltimore/MoCo/PG lawmakers meddle in their business, and put up their defensive in retaliation.

Maybe it can be a package deal.....change "Gay St" in Baltimore to something else, and Negro Mtn can change it' name.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,047,191 times
should they change the name of the United Negro College Fund as well? It's a weird name but it's a fair sight better than that ranch Rick Perry owned or whatever.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:47 PM

2,714 posts, read 2,683,080 times
it's a mountain.............jeeeez.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,224,654 times
I would think that Negro mountain would be the least offensive of any name. Negro is derived from the word negroid. Negroid is merely a racial classification. It is a scientific name. For a black person to be offended by it would be equivilent to a white person being offended by being classified as a caucasian. Or a Mexican being called a latino. Or a Chinese person being called a oriental.

They could change it now and then in 10, 20 or 50 years, when black people decide they no longer want to be called black, we could just change it again to whatever the preference is at the moment.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:42 AM

16,434 posts, read 19,652,369 times
"Non-white Mountain"...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 AM

5,258 posts, read 8,460,398 times
We don't know the gentleman's name. Some sources name him Nemesis, others call him Goliah. Sadly, we won't ever know the truth. We can reach into a hat and pick one, but we have a 50/50 chance of getting it wrong and not honoring anybody with the name.

But my feeling is that if the NAA COLORED P, and the United NEGRO College fund don't feel a need to change their name, then Negro Mountain should be fine too. The Western Maryland legislators, and our community, wouldn't have been so contentious if Ms. Gladden had talked to them, and the citizens of Western Maryland before going straight to the media and the Legislature.

Imagine the audacity if a Garrett County legislator decided to start a campaign to change the name of something downstate without discussing it with the people that live there? The mountains are our home, they dominate our landscape. They give us a sense of place that people downstate people don't understand living in a world dominated by man made objects and flat open space.

Ms. Gladden has a point that is worthy of discussion, but it was a big faux paux to not discuss her concerns first with the people that live in the mountains.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM

9,396 posts, read 14,047,191 times
Nemesis and Goliah Mountain lawl

I say name it after me

Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 AM

2,431 posts, read 2,942,646 times
I maintain that non-blacks shouldnt be dictating how blacks should feel about this kind of thing. And if you disagree with changing the name, then just dont visit the mountain, whatever your ethnicity. The word 'negro' was never coined as a slurr. And according to Wikipedia: "The word is used in the English-speaking world to refer to a person of black ancestry or appearance, whether from Africa or not. The word means 'black' in Spanish and Portuguese, from the Latin term 'niger'

Not surprising that some slave owners grammar and pronunciation of the word [ngger] may have lent a disdainful twang that can still smart sensitive Afro American ears even today, if they let it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland