U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 6,889 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the recommendations of Federal Hill. I had heard about it in passing but now that I'm looking at the area I'm intrigued and have some questions at the same time. Intrigued because everything I'm seeing looks like what I'm looking for but concerned because it's in Baltimore City. Shouldn't I be concerned with crime being in the city, especially one like Baltimore that I've heard very mixed things about?

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM

11,555 posts, read 20,759,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_a4 View Post
Shouldn't I be concerned with crime being in the city, especially one like Baltimore that I've heard very mixed things about?
True, but much crime is concentrated in certain neighborhoods. It's gang members or drug dealers attacking each other. If you are walking around a middle-income neighborhood during normal hours, you shouldn't be bothered. Of course, you should be cautious like not flashing money around. It's a trade-off to live in an interesting area.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:55 AM

866 posts, read 2,358,472 times
Federal Hill is relatively safe, but yes, you still have to be aware of your surroundings, as you should in any big city. Personally, I lived there for 5 years and didn't have any problems.

I recommend visiting and checking out the neighborhood. Also drive down Fort Avenue to Locust Point and see if you like that area. McHenry Row, as I mentioned in a previous post, is right in between these two neighborhoods. You'd be very safe there, and it would be a short cab ride or a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of Federal Hill from there.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,559,958 times
Federal Hill is very safe. It is on an isolated peninsula, so you don't get the crossing through crime, or block to block type situations that many city neighborhoods suffer through in this country. On the peninsula, the neighborhoods are basically Federal Hill, Otterbein, SoBo, Riverside and Locust Point, and Key Highway. Locust Point has actually been ranked the 5th safest urban neighborhood in America. You can't go wrong with any of them, and I doubt you'll be able to afford to live in the Key Highway section... I know I can't !

I've been living here for 8 years straight, and once before that and have never had an issue with anything. I've lived in some of the areas people would call the safest in the state before moving here, and suffured a burglary in both. So stuff can happen anywhere.

Federal Hill is cool because it is very laid back, with tons of young professionals... which leads to many adult sports leagues and activities, plus more bars and restaurants than one can get to. You can walk to both stadiums, as well as the inner harbor, downtown, and even fells point if you feel up to it. For me and many of my friends, Fed Hill was a way where it is not depressing at all to be out of college, because it is any area with so much to do and so much fun to be had. Yet there is also plenty to do for older crowds as well, and it is by no means this loud place where no work can be accomplished.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:51 PM

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'll definitely be looking into the Federal Hill and surrounding areas when I visit in a few weeks. Are there any other recommendations? A friend told me in the area of Saratoga street would be good too but I see that's more north than the Federal Hill area. Is that a good recommendation?

Old 12-31-2011, 02:20 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,559,958 times
Saratoga cuts through downtown, I'm sure there is some apartment buildings on it.

I would recommend living as far south in Baltimore as possible so you can hop right on 295 and it will be a super easy commute. The neigborhoods of Ridgley's Delight, Federal Hill, Otterbein, Locust Point would all make the easy connections to 295, and all are very young and vibrant. If you are looking for apartment buildings I would check 101 Wells, the Zenith, The Abell, The Greenhouse, as well as see what is on Craigslist.

As someone who has been a downtown landlord... craigslist is all I use and all I need.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 AM

342 posts, read 813,499 times
Fed Hill or Clippers Mill

Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 PM

1,759 posts, read 4,551,091 times
It's kind of a strange time in the city. $1200 for a rental won't get you much but ironically will allow you to purchase a far nicer home. Most rentals are priced as though they are worth almost double now.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM

Thank you all again for the recommendations. I plan on making a trip to the area in the coming weeks to get a feel for the area.

davecj: Thanks for the recommendation of buying. Unfortunately right now I can't plan on living in the area for longer than a year so that won't be smart financially. I also understand that $1200 won't get much and I'm not locked in to that, it was more of a starting point to get some ideas from the forum, which I've received some great ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or