U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,822 times

Advertisements

Relocating to MD from NYC. My husband will work in Baltimore, but we'd like to live in a good school district (we have a 9yr old). Anyone have any insight to Woodland Village in Ellicott City? Curious if the walls are thin (townhomes), if the grounds are well kept, and how are the schools. Any info would be helpful.

Any other info about the Ellicott City, Elkridge, Columbia area would be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 AM

11,542 posts, read 20,716,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgn View Post
Anyone have any insight to Woodland Village in Ellicott City? Curious if the walls are thin (townhomes), if the grounds are well kept, and how are the schools.
Isn't Woodland Village a condominium community? If so, it has a web site showing beautiful grounds with a kids playground. I have seen Chateau Builders' other projects, and I though they were pretty good. The noise level depends a lot on who the neighbor is. If it's the one currently on Craigslist, I would shoot the owner a message and ask if the side walls are cinderblock on *both* sides. Frankly, it looks pretty nice to me. We almost bought a townhouse in another of Chateau's luxury developments. I can't remember the wall construction, but they are a good builder.

The Ellicott City schools are generally among the best in the state, but I would check the ratings on greatschools or schooldigger.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-29-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 AM

354 posts, read 1,034,271 times
I live in a 40-year-old Chateau single family home and it is very poorly constructed. BUT that was a long time ago and these townhomes could be better. I thought the Woodland Village homes were very spacious when I visited people there 20 years ago. If the elementary school is Bellows Springs, I think it's pretty good.

Do you intend to rent or buy?

Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,693 times
Woodland Village is all looks and no substance. The rental-to-owner ratio is high, so there is lots of turnover. The condo management spend an inordinately high amount of owner's fees to maintain the grounds, so it LOOKS nice. But inside the units, noise is a huge problem. Original construction (built in the '80s) is quite poor (e.g. non insulated adjoining walls, bad electrical, water issues). Most of the renovated units I saw were just cosmetic changes, so your only hope is to get quiet neighbors. Good luck with that. As a unit owner, I had very loud neighbors on three sides. It doesn't help that the condo by-laws offer little protections around noise (e.g. no carpeting requirements, etc). As for the community, the Howard County schools are very good.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:25 PM

580 posts, read 634,403 times
For Woodland Village:

Per the HCPS website (parentheses is Greatschool rating)

Howard County school per address here: https://hcpss2.securesites.net/SchoolLocator/index.jsp
Elementary: Bellows Spring (8)
Middle School: Mayfield Woods (8)
High School: Long Reach (7)

The area of Woodland is very convenient; short drive to Costco, Trader Joes, Target, etc. East access to I-95 and the Jessup MARC station.

Traffic can be a nightmare during rush hour (15 minute commute from Ellicott City to south Columbia at 630AM can be 30-40 minutes at 5PM).

Oops sorry for helping revive a dead thread.

Last edited by pokeable; 03-08-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM

45 posts, read 74,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnfjdj View Post
Woodland Village is all looks and no substance. The rental-to-owner ratio is high, so there is lots of turnover. The condo management spend an inordinately high amount of owner's fees to maintain the grounds, so it LOOKS nice. But inside the units, noise is a huge problem. Original construction (built in the '80s) is quite poor (e.g. non insulated adjoining walls, bad electrical, water issues). Most of the renovated units I saw were just cosmetic changes, so your only hope is to get quiet neighbors. Good luck with that. As a unit owner, I had very loud neighbors on three sides. It doesn't help that the condo by-laws offer little protections around noise (e.g. no carpeting requirements, etc). As for the community, the Howard County schools are very good.
Interesting. I owned a condo in Treover in Columbia and there were a lot of renters there too.
Is there a public site which lists the renter to owner ratio for various communities?

Old 04-25-2015, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,693 times
Default renter/owner ratios

Renter/owner ratios are important if a potential buyer wants FHA financing to buy a condo. HUD (US Department of Housing and Urban Development) has a list of condominium complexes it will and will not accept for FHA financing. HUD has a list of basic requirements, the first of which is that units must be at least 50% owner occupied. See this link for more:
FHA Approved Condos: Find a HUD-approved Condo Project
The problem is that condo management doesn't always know when an owner decides to starting renting out the unit. I witnessed that at Woodland Village. So monitoring this statistic is problematic. The website above has a link to check to see if your condo complex is on the approved list. Other than HUD, I doubt that there is national or government org that monitors condo renter/owner ratios. Laws governing condominiums are shockingly lax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland