U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM

33 posts, read 228,759 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be relocating to Lexington Park where he has a new job opportunity. We are in our late twenties, no children, and currently live in Seattle, WA. I realize Lexington Park is fairly rural, and am ready to transition into small town life, but I don't know that much more about the area. Is it nice? What is there to do? How is the crime rate? Good housing options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM

34,792 posts, read 44,295,495 times
Lexington Park is not so much rural, it has aspects of the worst of development in MD. St. Mary's County, where LP is located, is considered one of the more rural Counties.

Jobs in the County revolve around NAS PAX and the high tech companies working there for the Navy. Other than that the County has a lot of service industry jobs and the base of farming and working the Bay.

Where will you be working?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnewyorker View Post
My husband and I may be relocating to Lexington Park where he has a new job opportunity. We are in our late twenties, no children, and currently live in Seattle, WA. I realize Lexington Park is fairly rural, and am ready to transition into small town life, but I don't know that much more about the area. Is it nice? What is there to do? How is the crime rate? Good housing options?
I agree with NBP

LP isn't rural, it's actually pretty congested but the county it is in is very rural. You're basically at the end of Maryland. Nowhere else to go but up if you choose to travel to different locations.

Given your age, you won't have much nightlife options aside from the movie theater and perhaps dinner at a chain or local restaurant. There's really no indie rock scene in the area (noted you are young and from seattle).

Everything you'd want to have you can pretty much find in LP, however, if you want to do "mall" shopping you'll have to take the 40 minute drive to Waldorf.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:00 AM

3,684 posts, read 5,249,466 times
Kate, you need very much to click here Life in Southern Maryland - Southern Maryland Community Forums which is largely about St. Mary's County. There are hundreds of discussion threads there discussing newcomer relocations to Lexington Park.

Southern Maryland Online™ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.™ also has abundant information about real estate, local services and businesses, churches, recreation, schools, and other resources in St. Mary's County.

Last edited by slowlane3; 01-07-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM

345 posts, read 864,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnewyorker View Post
Did you consider looking across the river at Calvert County? There are some good options there that are in my opinion better than Lex Park. If and when you and your husband consider having children, Calvert County schools are top notch.

Lex Park itself has decent shopping ameneties. Most recognized national chains can be found there.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:39 AM

25 posts, read 72,418 times
Kat, I'm from New York...I moved here from Southern CA...you will consider this area RURAL! Everything is relative to where you've been and where you're going. My husband (Military) got transferred here almost 10 yrs. ago. I thought I was ready to transition to small town living but this place is like death. I call it the "Land of Inconvenience". Thankfully he's retiring and we are leaving soon.

There isn't much of anything to do here unless you love to eat. New restaurants are popping up all over the place and it shows. The first thing I noticed when I got here was the obesity and the number of people who still smoke. Not judging just an observation.

We go to Annapolis frequently because it has a pulse, a book store and a decent Mall.

Thankfully I have numerous hobbies to keep me busy in my spare time. Walmart-ing is not one of them. We've had so many trees fall in our yard from hurricanes and high wind thunderstorms that I could probably qualify for a job with the Department of Forestry. Learn how to use a chain saw or at least a leaf blower. Weather wise, the summers are disgusting and the humidity is chewable. The ticks and mosquitos are worse here than in any of the other numerous places I have lived. The movie theater is gross the the local book store closed. The base is the life blood of the community. Good luck hiring contractors to work on your home. We've been screwed over by just about everyone we've hired. The assumption is if you work on the base you have money to burn.

Good luck and God bless you.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 6,588 times
Wink NOT so bad

I moved here from San Diego California. At first I was in culture shock. It is SO much smaller area then I was used to. I now live on a huge farm in Park Hall MD about 3 miles from Lexington Park. I love it here but maybe its my view looking down on the St. Mary's River. Summers are brutal! The humidity is just miserable. Good thing is you are never far in any direction to a large body of water. Boating, swimming, crabbing, kayaking are all fun things to do. Winters are usually mild.

I was a city boy and now raise Fainting Goats, Chickens and have a hug garden. maybe a little redneck has rubbed off on me lol.

DC is only an hour away. Baltimore a little under 2. I can live the rural life and go to a big city any time I want. I like it here!

If you would like any help or info you can email us at junkinstuff @ hotmail or text 301 Two four 7, 25 nine 4

Respect

Chris and Karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland