U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,393,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Im curious what regulations you think would adversely affect them in MD? Taxes will be similar and prices in Northern Virginia will likely be higher than the areas of MD they are looking at. My friends in Northern Va, pay roughly the same taxes as me, maybe slightly less, but not even close to enough for it to be a factor.
I checked and you are correct that property, sales and income taxes are practically the same. Maryland has many other nuisances that will cost more money like higher auto insurance, higher gas tax pending, you can't buy beer in most supermarkets etc. This older city-data thread points out a lot of the differences in MD vs VA taxes

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...and-taxes.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 05:11 AM

19 posts, read 35,119 times
Move to Virginia....

Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM

3 posts, read 4,259 times
It sounds like you are looking more for Virginia. The Plains, Middleburg, Markham, Delaplane...those areas. The horse farms are gorgeous, and there is a lot for training there, even races. They have polo matches in the area on horse too. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM

766 posts, read 1,418,418 times
Ashville NC or Hood River OR. Seriously, I loved living in Howard County and my relatives in DC and Leesburg VA love their communities as well. But none of us would be where we are if we could pick a place without regard to jobs and schools. Since you do not have to worry about schools, why pay the high taxes to fund the services you don't need (although being near to DC does have it's cultural/educational advantages). Carroll county in MD is nice and rural, but not too far from amenities. Leesburg is pretty cookie-cutter, but if you go a bit further out you can get into some nice country and still have excellent shopping options.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 AM

100 posts, read 271,242 times
Asheville, NC and area counties are big into homeschooling. Really big.
Lots of outdoor activities to include a few good horseback riding trails through mtns that rise over 4000 feet. Roads are bit tough...very curvy--must drive slow.
Nice people too, with an occasional grouch or 2

Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 AM

34,792 posts, read 44,295,495 times
With the parameters you have I would tell you, as others have, to look in DE rather than MD. If the near the beach thing isn't real important then somewhere in South-Central PA such as around Gettysburg/Carlisle might be an area to look at. You do get more house for the the money there although property taxes will about be a wash (before someone takes issue, I paid my mother's property taxes and hers were within a few hundred of mine (even with me paying both County and Town) on her house assessed at about 1/7 of mine).

PA is also more friendly to homeschooling than MD.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM

607 posts, read 1,136,155 times
Try Frederick County away from the little Urbana-Frederick corridor (which is becoming more and more suburbanized). Large amounts of homeschoolers, there are a few slopes within an hour's drive which aren't too mountainous (you don't truly get to the Appalachian region until you're west of Hagerstown), and you can always go to Frederick city for restaurants and shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or