U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm trying. Maybe we could set up a franchise agreement?

If this is my "life's work" I sure was busy with "hobbies" today.

There is a lot of talk around here about forming a Rural Counties Coalition in the state legislature so that the rural counties can speak with a common voice about issues that affect them all, like PlanMaryland.

There is a coalition now of Allegany, Washington, Frederick, and Carroll counties that hired 2 lobbiests for this legislative session. A bad omen from the start when they couldn't decide which one to hire. At least a couple wanted Bereano, our county said HECK NO! So we paid our money to the other guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,794 posts, read 44,303,984 times
Reputation: 44940
Didn't know about that. Of course, my focus is more on SoMD and to an extent the Eastern Shore.
The various fee/tax increases proposed aren't playing well here, although the Flush Tax has been one that has benefitted us. The gas tax proposals are creating a howl.

Bereano, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 04:42 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,252 posts, read 11,541,248 times
Reputation: 3613
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Bereano, eh?
Ain't he the guy who can't drive under 80 mph?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Didn't know about that. Of course, my focus is more on SoMD and to an extent the Eastern Shore.
The various fee/tax increases proposed aren't playing well here, although the Flush Tax has been one that has benefitted us. The gas tax proposals are creating a howl.

Bereano, eh?
Allegany County won't do business with Bereano. He stuck his nose into the local 1-B delegate race with an 11th hour advertisement admitting his own misdeeds, and trying to drag down the GOP candidate with him. Classy. No surprise our three GOP commissioners want nothing to do with him. That other legal stuff may be a factor too.

Yeah, the 4 counties (Garrett opted out, surprise, surprise) raised something like $15,000, which won't go very far as lobbing money. Our commissioners have also started rhetoric like the state is "going to war" with the rural counties and things like that. The Dekegates from the four counties that are already "in" have made some gestures, maybe even had a meeting with some of the other rural counties. I can't recall the details off the top of my head.

I am opposed to PlanMaryland idealogically, but I am interested to see if there will be any bites on the incentives in Cumberland proper. We are a priority growth region as designated by PlanMaryland. Goodness knows we could use some in-fill development here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 AM
 
4,263 posts, read 10,024,086 times
Reputation: 3827
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
Are you kidding me? I was at a small town gathering in Hershey PA (my liberal family lives there) and this guy tricked me into having a conversation about religion where he tried to convert me to evangelicalism. They all do that in the rural parts. Bigotry knows no Mason-Dixon line.
That is the wealthiest suburban town in a half-million+ metro - and no, not especially liberal in its general social and political outlook. I suppose by Manhattan standards it might be considered rural, a word that admittedly has a slippery definition. I know it's not rural to someone who was once the Allegany Co. farm queen. It wouldn't be a first choice for back to the land people of any persuasion because what remaining cropland there is is owned by corporations, developers, or a trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
 
13 posts, read 18,314 times
Reputation: 10
Oh my. Progressive/liberal. Salisbury is pretty much the exact opposite.

I've been here for two years and I'm probably pretty similar to you in your mentality and values. Salisbury is part of the district that elected a Tea Party representative.

This area is very uneducated and conservative. Eastern Shore people have a reputation for being fairly rude and I can definitely vouch for that. There isn't any art or music or culture really. This isn't like rural Vermont or Humbodlt County or something like that. You mentioned being vegetarian and that is also a bit of a challenge here if you are looking for vegetarian specific or international food. Chain stores are very popular and local mom and pop type places are few and far between. People don't go out much.

I guess this sums it up. They started a downtown 3rd Friday with a grant from the state of Maryland which was intended to be your typical art gallery opening/live music downtown event. No one really goes and there isn't really any art, because very few people create art here. And the music is typically 40-50 year olds playing rock blues type stuff. Also the Salisbury city is only about 4 miles wide and flat, very very few people bike or walk anywhere. Even in the summer.

They same group also started a farmers market which only has 6-12 vendors. I thought that was odd until someone told me that the vast majority of farm land is used to grow soy etc to feed the chicken industry. There aren't many organic/small creative type farms. It's mostly just commodity feed types.

It's just a backwards place dominated by small minded people. You would be very unhappy here compared to all the other choices out there.

I guess I should just add the there is a ton of negative energy here. I'm moving soon and I have not felt good about how it has started to make me more angry and hateful as well. This post is another example. This isn't a good place.

Last edited by hjhjhj; 04-25-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: PROUD Son of the South in Maryland
386 posts, read 567,623 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post


This is a riot.

I have a great strategy whenever anyone tries to convert me. I just explain that I am Catholic and like it that way. That normally ends the conversation very quickly. If not, those 12 years of Catholic School education come in awfully handy.

It seems many Evangelicals would rather converse with an atheist before one of us Mary-worshipping Papists.
Reason #1 why I dont talk religon with my father in law. Catholic schooled his whole life and the closest I got to being catholic is my step mom forced me to go to CCD and get first holy communion at her church when i was happy enough with sunday school/mass at my own church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjhjhj View Post
Oh my. Progressive/liberal. Salisbury is pretty much the exact opposite.

I've been here for two years and I'm probably pretty similar to you in your mentality and values. Salisbury is part of the district that elected a Tea Party representative.

This area is very uneducated and conservative. Eastern Shore people have a reputation for being fairly rude and I can definitely vouch for that. There isn't any art or music or culture really. This isn't like rural Vermont or Humbodlt County or something like that. You mentioned being vegetarian and that is also a bit of a challenge here if you are looking for vegetarian specific or international food. Chain stores are very popular and local mom and pop type places are few and far between. People don't go out much.

I guess this sums it up. They started a downtown 3rd Friday with a grant from the state of Maryland which was intended to be your typical art gallery opening/live music downtown event. No one really goes and there isn't really any art, because very few people create art here. And the music is typically 40-50 year olds playing rock blues type stuff. Also the Salisbury city is only about 4 miles wide and flat, very very few people bike or walk anywhere. Even in the summer.

They same group also started a farmers market which only has 6-12 vendors. I thought that was odd until someone told me that the vast majority of farm land is used to grow soy etc to feed the chicken industry. There aren't many organic/small creative type farms. It's mostly just commodity feed types.

It's just a backwards place dominated by small minded people. You would be very unhappy here compared to all the other choices out there.

I guess I should just add the there is a ton of negative energy here. I'm moving soon and I have not felt good about how it has started to make me more angry and hateful as well. This post is another example. This isn't a good place.
Spoken like a true ignorant, uneducated yankee. Im a gun toting, pro life NRA card carrying republican and I married a liberal that has 10 times more sense then you. She also has 10 times more manners then you and can get along with rural folk. Oh and the reason they were probably "rude" is probably youre attitude towards their way of life and culture, kinda like the same BS treatment I get when I go to big NE cities.

You are what gives liberals a bad name. Take your ignorant self and about 100,000 yankees like you back to where you came from so the state will improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
 
13 posts, read 18,314 times
Reputation: 10
andrew_s pretty much sums up the Eastern Shore.

I should also note his reference to rural folk. I have found that Eastern Shore residents seem to feel quite strongly that they are a good old fashion rural area, and as you saw from his yankee comments, the south. Which is still a bit confusing to me considering that it is only a little over 2 hours away from Washington, DC, one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country and hardly a city one would typically consider southern.

Last edited by hjhjhj; 04-25-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,257 posts, read 8,456,448 times
Reputation: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjhjhj View Post
andrew_s pretty much sums up the Eastern Shore.

I should also note his reference to rural folk. I have found that Eastern Shore residents seem to feel quite strongly that they are a good old fashion rural area, and as you saw from his yankee comments, the south. Which is still a bit confusing to me considering that it is only a little over 2 hours away from Washington, DC, one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country and hardly a city one would typically consider southern.
No, Andrew S. pretty much sums up what many rural Marylanders think when people come on this board and say rude and insulting things towards the natives of this state.

You could have said the same things you said without the belittling tone. You didn't, you wanted to insult others and make yourself look and feel superior. It failed. You just come across as being stuck up.....and quiet frankly pretty stupid for relocating to an area you knew so little about. That is your fault, not the Eastern Shore's.

Expect negativity directed your way. You bring it on yourself on the discussion board, probably in real life too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2012, 03:00 PM
 
13 posts, read 18,314 times
Reputation: 10
There's that rural thing again.

I should add that I was already warned before moving here.

I've lived in a lot of places in the country and this one really caught me off guard. I figured in one of the wealthiest, most educated states in the country, only 2 hours from DC how bad could it be?

But I didn't listen. Fortunately, this move was temporary and I'm leaving soon. But I urge you not to make the same mistake. It's really is a bad as people say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top