U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM

6 posts, read 11,848 times

Advertisements

I have two possible job offers in the works (knocks on wood). One in DC and one in Baltimore. Coming from Miami, FL this would be a big change for my fiance and I.

What areas outside of DC would you all recommend for housing? Not looking to buy anything yet (we are getting married next Feb) and possibly going to rent for now. I've always heard people working in DC mostly commute from the neighboring states, but I don't even know where to start looking.

Any help would ROCK!

Thanks and cool forum here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:25 PM

11,542 posts, read 20,716,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post
What areas outside of DC would you all recommend for housing?
Assuming you are young, Bethesda has a cool downtown area, but it's very expensive. Silver Spring, Rockville and Gaithersburg also have attractive areas for younger people, and are more affordable. There's nothing wrong with living in DC either if you don't have kids.

It would would help if you mentioned a budget for rent, and whether you have pets, whether you like suburban or more urban areas, other interests, etc.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,113 times
You mentioned that you are lookin for a place close to Dc or Baltimore and I would recommend Gaithersburg , where you can commute with the Mark Train to DC or take the new ICC to Baltimore. The area is really nice and its not overwellmed with traffic as Rockville and Bethesda areas. My husband works in DC and takes the Mark train every day. If you are looking to rent and coming from Florida I would recommend some of the resort style communities We will be moving to a brand new apartment building across from the Mark train station in Old Town Gaitjersburg this year and my husband is very excited about not needing to drive at all. There are also a lot of restaurants and shopping in the Washingtonian Center and the Kentlands.I hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 11,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Assuming you are young, Bethesda has a cool downtown area, but it's very expensive. Silver Spring, Rockville and Gaithersburg also have attractive areas for younger people, and are more affordable. There's nothing wrong with living in DC either if you don't have kids.

It would would help if you mentioned a budget for rent, and whether you have pets, whether you like suburban or more urban areas, other interests, etc.
My fiance and I are young; I'm 31 and she is 25

We would much rather live in a more quiet area - something just outside of D.C. but not uber rural / remote. We like the city life and having the luxury of coming into the city for dining, events etc...

We have two cats, no kids (yet) and our budget would be $1,400 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diksita View Post
You mentioned that you are lookin for a place close to Dc or Baltimore and I would recommend Gaithersburg , where you can commute with the Mark Train to DC or take the new ICC to Baltimore. The area is really nice and its not overwellmed with traffic as Rockville and Bethesda areas. My husband works in DC and takes the Mark train every day. If you are looking to rent and coming from Florida I would recommend some of the resort style communities We will be moving to a brand new apartment building across from the Mark train station in Old Town Gaitjersburg this year and my husband is very excited about not needing to drive at all. There are also a lot of restaurants and shopping in the Washingtonian Center and the Kentlands.I hope this helps.
This is great. I have a TDI (diesel) Golf so it gets awesome mileage and I don't mind commuting into DC (if this were to be required), but the idea of parking the car at an outlying station & taking public transportation sounds great!

Hope the info I provided helps with recommendations

Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,407,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quailallstar View Post

This is great. I have a TDI (diesel) Golf so it gets awesome mileage and I don't mind commuting into DC (if this were to be required), but the idea of parking the car at an outlying station & taking public transportation sounds great!

Hope the info I provided helps with recommendations
Kind of off but if you want to get your tdi fixed w/o getting ripped off from the stealership and finding someone who specializes in TDIs, there's a place called Wheaton Service Center in Silver Spring. It's a nice VW independent shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or