U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 PM

181 posts, read 291,684 times

Advertisements

Coming from FL with a 1,7,9 yr old. Looking for a serene winter trip to play in the snow. Will probably spend one day skiing, but skiing isn't the focus, just enjoying a hotel with some snow outside to play in is the goal. We figure the ski resorts are in the best places, plus if it doesn't snow we can always see some there at least.

Ups and Downs of Wisp & Snowshoe?

It's hard to tell from the websites, other than Snowshoe gets 150" of snow vs 110" per year at Wisp and Wisp has 35 trail vs Snowshoe's 54? But that doesn't really say how they feel, you know, how crowded, how nice, easy to get to for a FL driver!?? Just looking for some experiences to compare.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 AM

7,257 posts, read 11,564,180 times
I've never been to snowshoe but I like Wisp. I don't think there's been a ton of snow at either this year though.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:10 AM

4,812 posts, read 8,411,205 times
Snowshoe is IMO the best ski resort in the entire mid-atlantic area. Snowshoe is much bigger than Wisp in just about all aspects (trails, trail length, lifts, capacity, etc.). The only thing that Wisp probably has is more night skiing....

Both are great places. But if I was planning a multi-day trip in the Mid-atlantic. Snowshoe would be on the top of that list. Followed by Wisp/Seven Springs. Seven Springs is more of a personal bias as that's pretty much where I learned to ski and spent a lot of time there growing up.

Just my .02.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM

5,263 posts, read 8,471,459 times
One thing to think about if you are coming from Florida is that Snowshow is much more remote, many more windy country roads, and it is in WV which has poorer roads than Maryland and doesn't clear them nearly as well following snow storms.....which is what you are looking for.

Other than that though, Snowshoe is a much bigger ski resort.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 24,873 times
Default At Wisp recently...

Wisp is a wonderful family resort and we really enjoyed our recent trip there. It was not crowded at all and seemed to be able to handle much larger crowds than we experienced on the weekend we were there. Besides some great skiing, it offers snow tubing, a mountain coaster, ice skating, snow mobiling, and some fantastic restaurants that all have great kids menus. I would look into renting a house near the slope (check out VRBO.com). The price will not be that different from the hotel and you will appreciate the space.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 PM

455 posts, read 1,099,785 times
If skiing was your goal, I'd say Snowshoe. I've skied both places, and I believe Snowshoe is like another 1,000 to 1,500 feet higher in elevation and gets more snow. It is a bigger resort and they have a few places to eat up at the top of the mountain for those staying there.

I think, and just my opinion, that Deep Creek has lots of other things to do with the lake, shops, there is a glass factory nearby that is kind of cool. If all else fails there is a movie theater for the kids. Snowshoe is really remote, and as westsideboy mentioned, the roads are windy, slow going, and not as well taken care of by the state of WV in the winter.

If you do stay near Wisp, I'd say an hour and a half or so away is Canaan Valley/Timberline WV. Those resorts are higher in elevation and I think they get a good bit of snow as well, but not sure how much compared with Wisp. Would be a fun day trip.

Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob, two of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes, are within an easy drive of Deep Creek and would be fun to check out. Nemacolin Resort is not far either for a spa day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or