Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 26,979 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any info about moving to Elkridge, MD. I am looking to purchase a home and need something central with a good commute to Baltimore and Bethesda for myself and my husband. Any info you can give is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
I lived in that area for 25 years and though we lived in Fairfax, VA the past 30 years, I was in that area weekly until 2005. Elkridge isn't bad, but there are better places nearby.

For a really quaint location, look at Relay, MD, which is walking distance to the MARC train stop in St. Denis, on the Camden Line. MARC website is: http://www.mtamaryland.com/index.cfm (broken link) for schedule data. The train goes into DC Union Station and from there he can take the DC Metro subway, websites are: http://www.wmata.com/ for the system and fares and http://www.stationmasters.com/index.html for detailed station maps.

Also, Arbutus is a solid stable community, I grew up there. It is served by the MARC Penn Line trains via the Halethorpe Station and they are really good. Halethorpe has a lot of big old bungalows that may appeal to you if you like those kind of old houses from the 1920's or so. Also worth a look.

A bit further from Baltimore is Columbia, which puts you in a good spot to use the MARC Camden Line Dorsey Station. A lot of people who work in DC live in the Columbia area.

I used to drive from Lansdowne to Carderock, MD (Navy base) each workday, but that ended 30 years ago when I moved to VA. I wouldn't drive that today for anything, unless sheer economics forced me to. Driving from Elkridge to Bethesda these days is a woeful experience.

I'm not a Realtor, but I heartily endorse using one to really get you great info on that area. Myself, I'd avoid that US-1 corridor through Elkridge, too busy and too commercial. Try Arbutus, Relay, Halethorpe, Columbia or some of the nicer areas in that overall vicinity.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:09 PM

262 posts, read 2,021,842 times
Mike's right - there is no "good commute" to Bethesda from anywhere but the immediate surrounding areas. I work in Bethesda and we all share commute horror stories... A co-worker takes 50 minutes to drive 10 miles. Unbelievable. For example, Silver Spring is literally right next to Bethesda and a 10 mile drive into Bethesda can take a similar amount of time as a 30-40 mile drive into Baltimore. That said, here are some ideas...

Mike recommended the Arbutus/Relay/Halethorpe area (all Baltimore addresses in zip 21227). There is definitely affordable housing, convenience, and even relatively friendly communities. In fact I had family that lived there for their whole lives, I went to school at UMBC right down the road, and used to play baseball there often. The governor of MD grew up there too. But, honestly, I personally wouldn't want to live there. It's just a step up from Woodlawn in my eyes - which is not the nicest area. Lots of run-down homes, old garden apartment complexes, shopping plazas with nothing decent... it's your typical blue-collar suburb that hasn't aged well.

Columbia however is a fantastic choice - access to pretty much every major MD route (95, 295, 32, 29, 70, 1). Neighboring Clarksville is great also, but much more expensive... How much are you looking to spend on a house? What are you looking for in a community?

You may want to consider SOME parts of Laurel (it's in 4 counties and the neighborhoods vary drastically - and, you do have MARC trains and nearby metro). Eastern Montgomery County is very nice - Olney/Sandy Spring are good bets with all the major conveniences and great neighborhoods. Or you can just say the commute is a dead issue because the one traveling to Bethesda will pretty much be guaranteed 30 minutes to 1 hour+ and go to western Howard County or Anne Arundel to be near the water.

Based on all the info you gave, I would say try Columbia and branch out from there. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Hey Mike and Pkoons,

Thanks for the great info, I know it will help a lot. The reason I asked about Elkridge is because I saw a bunch of nice homes for sale in the New Colony Village area and those homes are sort of what I'm looking for. We are looking for a newer community to live but not crazy expensive. It helps a lot to know that commuting west to Bethesda will be 'woeful' as maybe we will look at something closer to there then.

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2006, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 43,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destnyzangl
Hey Mike and Pkoons,

Thanks for the great info, I know it will help a lot. The reason I asked about Elkridge is because I saw a bunch of nice homes for sale in the New Colony Village area and those homes are sort of what I'm looking for. We are looking for a newer community to live but not crazy expensive. It helps a lot to know that commuting west to Bethesda will be 'woeful' as maybe we will look at something closer to there then.

Thanks again!
I used to live in Elkridge in the Lynwood community. I don't recommend anything on the right side of Route 1 North and the new homes off of Montgomery Road. (built by Ryan).

That area (new Ryan homes on Montgomery Rd) had a methane problem that the builders didn't disclose. The owners found out after moving in when they smelled gas in the air all the time. I think they are sueing the builder. It was on the news. I'm sure you can google about it somewhere.

Because its naturally occuring there isn't anything that could can been done. I'm guessing the problem is still there.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:19 PM

Question still looking

Thanks William for letting me in on that info. I knew something had to be fishy. Anyhow, Pkoons and Mike, do you think it would be easier just to try and move closer to Bethesda or does it even matter? I googled all the areas that you guys requested and am still pretty confused.

I mean it sounds like I could travel to Baltimore more easily from wherever we lived, plus my husband's job is unchangeable and I'm a nurse so I think I'll be able to find something wherever we move to. Do either of you recommend looking in VA? Would the commute be any better?

We are looking for a home that won't be needing a lot of work preferrably a newer (5-10 yo) townhome or single family. I have been searching for weeks in the 250-350k region. Any advice is so greatly appreciated, plus it's nice to hear it from people who have lived there and appreciate the surroundings.

Thanks!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 AM

262 posts, read 2,021,842 times
Default Couple of thoughts

Try some of the newer neighborhoods in Columbia (the townhomes off Columbia 100 Pkwy are a GREAT choice) or Piney Orchard in Odenton for a very nice TH under $350K. Seven Oaks TH's in Odenton are great homes also but you will be right off of an unattractive strip of Rt 175 right by Ft. Meade. If you would do a condo, there are some pretty much brand new ones in Gambrills that are nice. These are all pretty far from Bethesda though.

If you decide to look closer to Bethesda, such as Silver Spring, Rockville, or Olney, you won't really find many townhomes under $350K at all. You'll have luck in some parts of Silver Spring but they will be closer to Calverton and Adelphi, which are NOT the best areas from a crime standpoint. The nicest SIl. Spring zips are 20910 (downtown) and 20905 (most rural - Norbeck area). Best of luck.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:54 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Pkoons is right, try Columbia, its a good point for commuting to both cities, and not bad for taking the trains to both cities. Columbia is in Howard County which has good schools. It's a bit of a hike, but you could go further north of Columbia, up to the I-70 corridor west of Ellicott City, and he could still get into commuting range and you'd be all set to be a nurse in Baltimore. If you must split your work between the two cities, strive for Howard County, the farther north the nicer it gets.

There's a ton of nursing work in the DC area. The Nat Inst of Health is in Bethesda, as is the National Naval Medical Center. Might be something there for you. If you score a job there, consider moving out to Thurmont, MD or west of Frederick, then carpool together. Another way to beat the horrendous commuting issues in that whole region is to take a MARC train (Brunswick Line) from Brunswick or Point of Rocks, MD, even Martinsburg, WV, and still get to Bethesda in decent style. Houses in Martinsburg are much better-priced.

Martinsburg, WV has both a Veterans Administration Hospital and a City Hospital, so if you worked there and lived there you'd have a very easy drive and hubby could take the train down to the DC area. MARC train data is at: http://www.mtamaryland.com/index.cfm (broken link)

The train is a very popular option. The Brunswick line has a stop in Rockville, where you can transfer to the DC Metro Subway (Red Line) which will take you right to NIH/Navy Med and then on to Bethesda. It's a GREAT option, if you've got your options open. DC Metro data is at: http://www.wmata.com/default.cfm (broken link)

Not sure about schools in Martinsburg, WV, they are bound to be a step down from Howard or Montgomery County.

The best starting place for Federal Government data on NIH, Navy Med and Federal Jobs is FIRST GOV, at: http://www.firstgov.gov/ The site for Federal jobs is USA JOBS at: http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

Anything near Bethesda will cost a fortune, same for VA, where I lived the past 31 years before moving here to COL last summer (oh man!). I can't even recommend VA at all if you both work in Bethesda. I used to commute on Saturday's from Chantilly, VA to the Elkridge area and it was dreadful even on weekends. The times I did it on weekdays were just nightmares. Never even think of living in VA and commuting to anywhere in MD, the congestion is terrible and the bridges over the Potomac are bottlenecks you wouldn't believe.

Stay in touch with us. Keep your options open.

s/Mike

Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 PM

Thanks Mike and Pkoons for all your knowledge and advice. Your awesome!! I know this will help a lot in our search!!

Truly,

destnyzangl

Old 06-29-2006, 11:21 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamT
I used to live in Elkridge in the Lynwood community. I don't recommend anything on the right side of Route 1 North and the new homes off of Montgomery Road. (built by Ryan).

That area (new Ryan homes on Montgomery Rd) had a methane problem that the builders didn't disclose. The owners found out after moving in when they smelled gas in the air all the time. I think they are sueing the builder. It was on the news. I'm sure you can google about it somewhere.

Because its naturally occuring there isn't anything that could can been done. I'm guessing the problem is still there.
I live in Lynwood! I love it there, it's a great neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland