Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 AM

11 posts, read 63,428 times

Advertisements

My husband and I visited MD together 3 weekends ago. I am very excited to be moving up there, however, I am still very confused about where to go (not to mention sticker shock of home prices, especially coming from south FL). His office is in College Park and while he doesn't want to travel too far, we understand that to buy something nice/affordable, he will have to travel. While we were driving around, we passed a new townhouse complex in Glen Burnie called Tanyard Springs (Lennar is the builder). It seems to be a nice complex (although not complete yet) and the interior units were beautiful... SO, can anyone tell me about Glen Burnie - is it a nice town, safe for me and our 2 year old daughter, how are schools in Glen Burnie??? and I guess how is it buying a townhouse as opposed to buying a house? (we are looking to purchase rather than rent.) Any info or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. My husband is up there now and our daughter and I will be going up next week. We will be living in the corporate apartment and have unitl mid May. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:37 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,237 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Tanyard Springs is located right in the middle of a pretty rough neighborhood!

There are parts of Glen Burnie that aren't bad (Glen Burnie is a fairly expansive area), and there are cheap houses that are in decent neighborhoods that are also considered part of Glen Burnie.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM

315 posts, read 1,299,971 times
If you are looking out as far as Glen Burnie, you might as well go a little south to Arnold, Cape St. Clair area. This area has some of the best schools in the county and not much more expensive then the nicer parts of Glen Burnie. It's actually a quicker trip to PG County because you are right off Rt. 50.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,092 times
I know of a cute single family home for sale in Severn (near Glen Burnie) in a quiet neighborhood almost at the end of a dead end street. It's an older home, but with a nice big backyard. The sellers (who have a 3 and a 5 year old) just left this morning to move to Alaska. The house is priced at $299,900 and it has a brand new kitchen. Let me know if you want more info!

(Don't know if it was proper for me to write a post like the above, but if it wasn't, sorry!)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 AM

forgot to mention, there's an open house this Sunday

Old 04-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Thank you all for your input! We are kinda going into this move blind - we found out only about 1-2 months ago that we are moving there and have only been able to visit 1 weekend. So the info I have been obtaining so far are internet searches and (few) reccomendations from my husbands new fellow employees (9 out of 10 people say to avoid PG county as a whole). So again, any additional info, input, opinions anyone has about any nice, safe, family-friendly towns anywhere within about 1 hour driving distance (to College Park) is greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 6,306 times
The big question is how much can you spend on a house?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM

we would be comfortable spending no more than $400k...tough, I know (it's sad, and kinda hard to swallow, when $350k doesn't really buy you that much house/property...). We don't mind fixer-uppers, cosmetic not complete overhaul, but our main concern is that it is in a safe, comfortable area...

Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
I know of a cute single family home for sale in Severn (near Glen Burnie) in a quiet neighborhood almost at the end of a dead end street. It's an older home, but with a nice big backyard. The sellers (who have a 3 and a 5 year old) just left this morning to move to Alaska. The house is priced at $299,900 and it has a brand new kitchen. Let me know if you want more info!

(Don't know if it was proper for me to write a post like the above, but if it wasn't, sorry!)
more info would be great! Thanks! my husband is coming back down this weekend so we'd miss the open house, but we will be up next week.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Shanni -- I sent you a private message with lots of info on the house including a link to the real estate listing. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland