Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM

57 posts, read 158,807 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy in Cecil or Harford county and not sure on which to go with. Schools are important as I have a 3 year old. I know schools west of 95 in Harford are known to be really good. I know nothing of Cecil County schools. I'd like to stay somewhat located near 95 as child's mother lives in Baltimore. Thoughts? Suggestions? Things to consider? Basically doing prelim research and looking for input and things to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM

242 posts, read 534,082 times
There are 5 public high schools in Cecil - Perryville, Rising Sun, North East, Elkton & Bohemia Manor. In my opinion, I would put Rising Sun High 1st and Elkton last.
From what I have heard, Elk Neck Elementary is best, which then goes to North East Middle & North East High.

All areas would be within close distance to 95 since it runs right through the county, with exits at Elkton, North East, and Perryville.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM

133 posts, read 713,199 times
Cecil County is like the sticks. Just my opinion of course

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precator View Post
Cecil County is like the sticks. Just my opinion of course
Lol it is mostly, but that's sort of what I'm looking for. I've spent my entire life in Maryland from PG County, Howard, and most of it in Baltimore County. Being close to everything is nice, but not worth the traffic and BS anymore IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraig10 View Post
There are 5 public high schools in Cecil - Perryville, Rising Sun, North East, Elkton & Bohemia Manor. In my opinion, I would put Rising Sun High 1st and Elkton last.
From what I have heard, Elk Neck Elementary is best, which then goes to North East Middle & North East High.

All areas would be within close distance to 95 since it runs right through the county, with exits at Elkton, North East, and Perryville.
Do you live in Cecil? How would you compare the schools to Harford county? Obviously Harford gets more recognition but are schools decent in Cecil county offering advanced classes etc?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:48 PM

133 posts, read 713,199 times
I live in Harford County. Schools are different based on the town in Harford County. Bel Air has really good schools.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 AM

67 posts, read 206,077 times
I moved from PG to Cecil in 2006. Schools in Cecil are far far better than PG. Rumor has it that Harford schools (generally) are at least as good if not better than Cecil. But in either case, no comparison to PG.
True, Cecil is a "bit country" (!), but prices on house per sq ft are lower than in Harford (and about 1/2 of PG). One major consideration that hasn't been brought up is the issues with the bridge tolls. They are going to an EZ pass thingy this summer on the Rt 40 bridge (you used to be able to buy a sticker for the year for $10). Depending on where you/your spouse works, and possibly shopping criteria, this may factor into the financial analysis of where it is best to live. On the whole, I really like living in Cecil (Port Deposit/Perryville area), but it is true that you do have to drive a bit in order to buy groceries or anything else.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jland View Post
I moved from PG to Cecil in 2006. Schools in Cecil are far far better than PG. Rumor has it that Harford schools (generally) are at least as good if not better than Cecil. But in either case, no comparison to PG.
True, Cecil is a "bit country" (!), but prices on house per sq ft are lower than in Harford (and about 1/2 of PG). One major consideration that hasn't been brought up is the issues with the bridge tolls. They are going to an EZ pass thingy this summer on the Rt 40 bridge (you used to be able to buy a sticker for the year for $10). Depending on where you/your spouse works, and possibly shopping criteria, this may factor into the financial analysis of where it is best to live. On the whole, I really like living in Cecil (Port Deposit/Perryville area), but it is true that you do have to drive a bit in order to buy groceries or anything else.
I spent two years in PG county and was a victim of three crimes, I won't be returning lol. I recently moved (renting) to Perryville so I'm starting to get familiar with the area. The price of homes in Cecil vs Harford is what is making Cecil much more attractive along with the fact its not as congested as say Bel Air. Just a heads up on the Hatem bridge. They are getting rid of the stickers but they've created an EZ Pass just for the Hatem. For $10 (this year) and $20 (next year) you get unlimited trips just like you do with the stickers. If you already have an EZ Pass for other tools you can add the "Hatem Plan" to your account and still get the unlimited trips on the Hatem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland