U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:40 PM

41 posts, read 134,455 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Thanks for reading. Please know that I am not needing any advice on being gay, black or democrat.

I am looking to relocate to the Maryland area. I am not quite a city girl (eh em...woman, 47), but I like to be close to the amenities. I love dance culture, art exhibits. But I also love to grow my garden every year.

I would like to be no further than 1-3 hrs from salt water. I know...

I appreciate multiculturalism.

Thank you for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM

126 posts, read 367,788 times
Baltimore City, Mount Vernon neighborhood.

Mount Vernon, Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great bars, good dance scene. Also fits your lifestyle. A friend of mine lived there last year for an internship and loved it. She shared the same oritentation as yourself.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 AM

582 posts, read 808,220 times
Outside of the big cities and their suburbs you won't find many liberal-minded folks, although the Annapolis area is good multiculturally, and Annapolis proper has sort of an old-fashioned town feel despite being the capital.
I don't know about the acceptance of your being gay, as it's not something i've given thought to or tried to notice, not being so myself.
Art exhibits are quite easy to find in DC or Baltimore, and you can reach both of those cities from the western shore of the bay. In western Md or eastern shore you will probably feel isolated. Western MD puts you further from the ocean and bay too.

If you want really liberal, Montgomery is by far the most liberal. It's nothing like the rest of MD though, being made up of folks from elsewhere, so while you'll find many cultures there you'll miss out on Marylandian culture.

I unfortunately can't give you a specific place, having only lived in one town and now in PA.
Hope I helped out a bit though.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 PM

7,247 posts, read 11,539,503 times
Is work a consideration? I'd say Baltimore or Rehoboth Beach.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 AM

866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Check out some neighborhoods in northern Baltimore City: Mount Washington, Hamilton, Lauraville, etc. You'll find a lot of liberal people, yet these areas definitely have more of a suburban feel even though they are in the city proper.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM

11,542 posts, read 20,716,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
Baltimore City, Mount Vernon neighborhood.
Mount Vernon probably won't have room for a garden. You might also check out Catonsville.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:07 PM

7,247 posts, read 11,539,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Mount Vernon probably won't have room for a garden. You might also check out Catonsville.
True but there are lots of community gardens at which you can either rent a plot or do it collectively. Also meet people.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,574,250 times
It would be important to clarify that Rehoboth Beach is in Delaware! It does have a sizeable gay community. The town proper is very expensive, however, so that you really have to live outside the city limits.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 AM

53 posts, read 92,871 times
definataly not western howard county, carroll county, northern baltimore couonty or anywhere in far western maryland.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM

315 posts, read 688,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notswedish View Post

Thanks for reading. Please know that I am not needing any advice on being gay, black or democrat.
I have no input but I just had to laugh at this sentence. Love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or