Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Gay Marriage Get Passed in MD?
Yes 36 80.00%
No 5 11.11%
Yes, but not this year 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Does anybody know if this bill stands a chance to go to referendum? I remember hearing about some civil rights clause that can prevent some bills from reaching referendum. Does anybody know anything about that?
If enough valid signatures are collected it will go to referendum. As far as I know there's been no "civil right" attached to marriage. The Prop 8 decision in CA may have something, I don't know. Something weird is that states outside an Appeals Court area don't always have to follow the decision.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 PM

503 posts, read 806,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I hope so, gays getting married doesn't affect anyone at all so I really have no problem with it. If it goes to referendum and gets killed there I think I'm moving the **** out of this backwards-ass state. Too many tax-and-spendocrats and too many right-wing nutjobs. Where, I'm not sure, as I love living in this region. VA generally gets things right although they're a little too neoconservative in some respects and DC is a mess, politically speaking.
Right wing nut jobs in MD? Where do you think you're going if MD is your standard for right wing?

This is one of the most leftist states in the country.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,080,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I agree but it maybe a wash my guess is that the black churches especially in PG will turn out their flock in large numbers to kill the law come November. It's doubtful they will vote GOP.
Maybe it will get some of them to start thinking about what the Dem party has done for them up to now.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Right wing nut jobs in MD? Where do you think you're going if MD is your standard for right wing?

This is one of the most leftist states in the country.
It's more the hypocrisy. You get these guys decrying big government while wanting to say who can and cannot get married, and there's enough of 'em that there's always a chance this gay marriage bill could get killed in referendum. The lefties do it too, saying govt shouldn't get involved in people's personal lives while outlawing all sorts of things.

My utopia in terms of governance is a state that's middle-of-the-road. Impossible, I know.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,080,471 times
Quote:

My utopia in terms of governance is a state that's middle-of-the-road. Impossible, I know.
That would probably require a large movement from the Democratic party into the Libertarian party. The few that are in the Lib party now have pretty much come from the Republican side. My feeling is the libertarians are fiscal conservative/social liberal, bordering on anarchism. Any party that leans toward anarchy has trouble getting organized in the long run and is doomed to fail.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
I agree, a soft libertarian would have a better shot. When I have brief dreams of being called Governor Hurricane of Maryland, I imagine my name having an "I" next to it, the state colored in yellow on political maps, with low yet responsible taxes and a very business-friendly environment that also advocates for personal freedoms

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
I hope so, gays getting married doesn't affect anyone at all so I really have no problem with it. If it goes to referendum and gets killed there I think I'm moving the **** out of this backwards-ass state. Too many tax-and-spendocrats and too many right-wing nutjobs. Where, I'm not sure, as I love living in this region. VA generally gets things right although they're a little too neoconservative in some respects and DC is a mess, politically speaking.
I have to respectfully disagree. People act as though, gays just want marriage rights and that's it. The actual effects of this law are far more ranging. We're talking about kids being taught that homosexuality is okay, taught how to have homosexual sex, and host of other issues. I do not believe it's right for my children to be subjected to being taught things that are strictly taught against in my household. I believe it's a lot more than just two people that have nothing to do with me. Do you not think that they will ask for more? Why would they stop there? They are clearly modeling their effort off of the civil rights movement like so many other groups in this nation currently are.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM

795 posts, read 1,267,868 times
Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. People act as though, gays just want marriage rights and that's it. The actual effects of this law are far more ranging. We're talking about kids being taught that homosexuality is okay, taught how to have homosexual sex, and host of other issues. I do not believe it's right for my children to be subjected to being taught things that are strictly taught against in my household. I believe it's a lot more than just two people that have nothing to do with me. Do you not think that they will ask for more? Why would they stop there? They are clearly modeling their effort off of the civil rights movement like so many other groups in this nation currently are.
Wow... you are on the wrong side of that argument.

Kids are learning about homosexuality from their friends... their friends are now "open" and not in some closet. You better get out the 70s and 80s and learn how to deal with the issue.

At any rate, if your kids end up gay, it won't be because of something someone taught them anyway... they would just "be" that way. Really... they won't be able to help it. Although, they might keep it from you, due to your way of thinking. Or worse, force themselves into a life that makes them miserable, just to please you... and they will fail at it.

I don't see the difference in homosexual marriage laws and interracial marriage laws all the way to 67.

Maybe you can teach your kids how great things were before civil rights, women's rights, and whatever other kind of right movement we had...

I'm not gay, but I support them... if they want to get married and have the same legal benefits that I have when married to a woman, then so be it.

If the gov't and companies had not messed this up so badly, it would not be a big deal. Instead, the word marriage is attached to so many darn rights in this country, you must have that word to have the benefits that come with it.

This is not a religious issue since companies and the gov't now use "marriage" for their benefit. This is a social issue.

Time for you to reevaluate your position.

Or stay where you are... like those people against interracial marriage in the 60s.

Last edited by King_of_DC; 02-20-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,977,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Wow... you are on the wrong side of that argument.

Kids are learning about homosexuality from their friends... their friends are now "open" and not in some closet. You better get out the 70s and 80s and learn how to deal with the issue.

At any rate, if your kids end up gay, it won't be because of something someone taught them anyway... they would just "be" that way. Really... they won't be able to help it. Although, they might keep it from you, due to your way of thinking. Or worse, force themselves into a life that makes them miserable, just to please you... and they will fail at it.

I don't see the difference in homosexual marriage laws and interracial marriage laws all the way to 67.

Maybe you can teach your kids how great things were before civil rights, women's rights, and whatever other kind of right movement we had...

I'm not gay, but I support them... if they want to get married and have the same legal benefits that I have when married to a woman, then so be it.

If the gov't and companies had not messed this up so badly, it would not be a big deal. Instead, the word marriage is attached to so many darn rights in this country, you must have that word to have the benefits that come with it.

This is not a religious issue since companies and the gov't now use "marriage" for their benefit. This is a social issue.

Time for you to reevaluate your position.

Or stay where you are... like those people against interracial marriage in the 60s.
That's not what I was saying. I mean being taught that homosexuality is okay and that it is 'normal'. I thought that was pretty clear in what I said...but maybe you are trying to be condescending.

Anyway, me and you have a fundamental difference of understanding of homosexuality. I do not believe it is something that just 'happens'. I believe it is caused by the environment. A majority of homosexuality have suffered through some type of abuse or neglect and their behavior is often just suppressed emotion. Don't believe me? Look at some of the more famous gays and tell me, is there a coincidence? (Ellen Degeneres, Queen Latifah, Nicki Minaj)

And please don't start comparing homosexuals' battle to the civil rights movement, it really sickens me. Sexual orientation can be hidden, race cannot. And it is not anything like the interracial marriages either. The definition of marriage has always been defined between a man and a woman. Race doesn't effect that but obviously gender does. The issue is not inequality either. I think that word gets thrown around as propaganda but people don't even realize it's a misnomer. The truth is, those gay people have the same rights as anyone else, they can't marry anyone of the same sex but they can marry someone of the opposite sex (who is not married or related to them). That same rule applies to heterosexuals too, so it is not inequality at all. It's a matter of redefining what they believe marriage should be.

But with that said, if you don't have a problem with them getting married, do you have a problem with a mother and a son getting married? Or how about a father and a daughter? Or how about a man and his horse? How do we know that these things are okay or not okay? Seems like it would be strange for any of those scenarios to be accepted, what is your take? Do you think those scenarios are okay?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I agree but it maybe a wash my guess is that the black churches especially in PG will turn out their flock in large numbers to kill the law come November. It's doubtful they will vote GOP.
I'm afraid you're right. I can safely predict Obama will slaughter his 2012 opponent here but it's on the strength of the state's black vote. That black vote will go against gay marriage even with the relatively large number of well educated liberal blacks. I think of it as very different from the California vote since Mormons were scapegoated but anyone in the know knows it was Democratic bigoted Latino voters voting against gay marriage. I really think it will be the same in Maryland with a lot of the moronic religious nut members of the black community voting for Obama and against gay marriage.

Quote:
What "more" exactly would gay people ask for, to live in your house? Pretty much a ridiculous assertion, they do have nothing to do with you. If you are going to be an ignorant Archie Bunker style religious nut, that's your problem and not society's. Gay marriage may not make it in 2012 with the referendum but you can't deny its forward momentum in even the past 2 years. Right wingers are like the Nazis putting up their last little firewall defenses but just eventually having them flooded down with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland