U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Gay Marriage Get Passed in MD?
Yes 36 80.00%
No 5 11.11%
Yes, but not this year 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,792 posts, read 44,295,495 times
Reputation: 44930

Advertisements

Why do you always accuse people who disagree with you of being "right wing nut jobs" and "Nazis"? It takes away whatever credibility you have.

 
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 AM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 12,004,677 times
Reputation: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
What "more" exactly would gay people ask for, to live in your house? Pretty much a ridiculous assertion, they do have nothing to do with you. If you are going to be an ignorant Archie Bunker style religious nut, that's your problem and not society's. Gay marriage may not make it in 2012 with the referendum but you can't deny its forward momentum in even the past 2 years. Right wingers are like the Nazis putting up their last little firewall defenses but just eventually having them flooded down with people.
Let's get a few things clear, first I'm not a right winger. Stereotypes don't get you very far in life and make you look stupid.

Second, I'm not a religious nut as you call it. I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ. What the Bible says about homosexuality isn't nuts, its simple and practical. Just because my views and my beliefs are different than yours doesn't make me a nut. Notice you haven't seen me calling gays outside their name or saying we should kill them all? Maybe you should re-assess what you consider a nut. I've met people who are far more intolerant than what you perceive me to be. Just because I disagree with something and have an opinion doesn't make me a nut. I have an opinion just like you do.

And to answer your question, it has been known that gays want homosexuality to be a part of sex education in schools. It is also known that they want same-sex couples to be taught in schools as families the same way as a traditional family would be. Me personally, I don't want my children to be forced to believe something is right, that is not right. I do not believe my children should be forced to accept homosexuality as being 'normal' behavior.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: East Coast
866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Reputation: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Let's get a few things clear, first I'm not a right winger. Stereotypes don't get you very far in life and make you look stupid.

Second, I'm not a religious nut as you call it. I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ. What the Bible says about homosexuality isn't nuts, its simple and practical. Just because my views and my beliefs are different than yours doesn't make me a nut. Notice you haven't seen me calling gays outside their name or saying we should kill them all? Maybe you should re-assess what you consider a nut. I've met people who are far more intolerant than what you perceive me to be. Just because I disagree with something and have an opinion doesn't make me a nut. I have an opinion just like you do.

And to answer your question, it has been known that gays want homosexuality to be a part of sex education in schools. It is also known that they want same-sex couples to be taught in schools as families the same way as a traditional family would be. Me personally, I don't want my children to be forced to believe something is right, that is not right. I do not believe my children should be forced to accept homosexuality as being 'normal' behavior.
I don't know of any gays who want homosexuality to be taught in schools.

Also, families with two gay parents already exist.

Committed gay couples just want the right to marry. No one is advocating incest or bestiality. I don't buy the slippery slope argument.

And you're right that stereotypes won't get you very far, so think about that before you go around spreading your theory that homosexuality is caused by trauma or abuse. This topic is obviously something you know nothing about so maybe you need to do some more research or meet some real gay people before you opine on things that do not affect you or your family.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 12,004,677 times
Reputation: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
I don't know of any gays who want homosexuality to be taught in schools.

Also, families with two gay parents already exist.

Committed gay couples just want the right to marry. No one is advocating incest or bestiality. I don't buy the slippery slope argument.

And you're right that stereotypes won't get you very far, so think about that before you go around spreading your theory that homosexuality is caused by trauma or abuse. This topic is obviously something you know nothing about so maybe you need to do some more research or meet some real gay people before you opine on things that do not affect you or your family.
I guess you don't know the difference between saying "a majority" and making an absolute statement. Maybe you should re-read what I said and what PhenomenalAJ said and see why what I said was not a stereotype.

So I guess because you don't know any gays that want homosexuality to be taught in school, then it must not be true, right? How scientific!

The fact is some places have already started to do so. Yes it's true that there are gay parents out there, but all of them are not going to have the same intent in mind. There are some, which have been documented, that want much more than just the right to marry.

And as far as the slippery slope, how do you know that gay marriage is right and incest and bestiality are not?
 
Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: East Coast
866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Reputation: 544
I never said that there exist no gay people who want it to be taught in schools. I was just making a statement that I don't know any gays who advocate that. I know a lot of gay people, and what they want is the right to marry the person they love.

The reason why gay marriage does not lead to incest and bestiality is that gay marriage is a civil contract between two consenting unrelated adults. There are reasons why incest is illegal, and bestiality and marrying inanimate objects doesn't make sense because both parties are not consenting adults.

The fact is that kids are going to learn about homosexuality in school whether it's taught to them or not. They will meet gay people in college and in the workplace. And they won't become homosexual from hearing or learning about it. They will find a partner of the same sex if they are homosexual.

I live in Massachusetts now, where they have allowed gay marriage for 8 years. And no families or children have been hurt in the process!
 
Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 12,004,677 times
Reputation: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
I never said that there exist no gay people who want it to be taught in schools. I was just making a statement that I don't know any gays who advocate that. I know a lot of gay people, and what they want is the right to marry the person they love.

The reason why gay marriage does not lead to incest and bestiality is that gay marriage is a civil contract between two consenting unrelated adults. There are reasons why incest is illegal, and bestiality and marrying inanimate objects doesn't make sense because both parties are not consenting adults.

The fact is that kids are going to learn about homosexuality in school whether it's taught to them or not. They will meet gay people in college and in the workplace. And they won't become homosexual from hearing or learning about it. They will find a partner of the same sex if they are homosexual.

I live in Massachusetts now, where they have allowed gay marriage for 8 years. And no families or children have been hurt in the process!
You're missing my point. I'm not trying to suggest that kids being taught about homosexuality is going to make them gay, I'm talking about being taught something that is contrary to what me and my wife consider to be wrong. In other words, my teachers says it's okay but mommy and daddy say it's wrong. Do you see why this is a problem and why it would be confusing?

And to your point about incest, bestiality and what not, again, I will ask, how do you know what is right and what is wrong? How do you determine that?
 
Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: East Coast
866 posts, read 2,356,238 times
Reputation: 544
I see what you're saying about the schools. However, I do not think that there is anything in the MD bill that requires anything about education in schools (please correct me if I am wrong). I also agree that churches shouldn't be forced to perform gay marriages if it goes against their religion. There are protections in that bill for these religious institutions, and I support that. But when you look at civil marriage, there is no good reason for a state to deny it.

With bestiality, an animal cannot provide consent for a sexual relationship. Nor can a tree, plate, computer, whatever. An animal could actually be harmed. That's also the reason why children cannot marry; they could be harmed by predators before they are fully developed, mentally and physically. With incest, isn't there an increased risk of birth defects for offspring? With gay marriage, none of the above is true. It is two people in love, both of whom are consenting adults. No one is harmed. It just so happens that some religions believe that homosexuality is immoral and/or unnatural. Other religions, and people who are atheists, have no problem with it. This is a country with religious freedom. While you and I do not agree, I respect your right to follow the religion of your choice.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
119 posts, read 221,536 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
That's not what I was saying. I mean being taught that homosexuality is okay and that it is 'normal'. I thought that was pretty clear in what I said...but maybe you are trying to be condescending.

Anyway, me and you have a fundamental difference of understanding of homosexuality. I do not believe it is something that just 'happens'. I believe it is caused by the environment. A majority of homosexuality have suffered through some type of abuse or neglect and their behavior is often just suppressed emotion. Don't believe me? Look at some of the more famous gays and tell me, is there a coincidence? (Ellen Degeneres, Queen Latifah, Nicki Minaj)
Correlation does not equal causation. There are plenty of people who have been abused or neglected and don't 'end up' homosexual. I myself and others that I know were never abused or neglected and are homosexual. It is something that you're born with. Arguing and bringing gay marriage to the level of incest or bestiality is disgusting.

Last edited by L.I.N.Y.; 02-21-2012 at 04:03 PM..
 
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
7,079 posts, read 4,552,918 times
Reputation: 6394
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
I see what you're saying about the schools. However, I do not think that there is anything in the MD bill that requires anything about education in schools (please correct me if I am wrong). I also agree that churches shouldn't be forced to perform gay marriages if it goes against their religion. There are protections in that bill for these religious institutions, and I support that. But when you look at civil marriage, there is no good reason for a state to deny it.

With bestiality, an animal cannot provide consent for a sexual relationship. Nor can a tree, plate, computer, whatever. An animal could actually be harmed. That's also the reason why children cannot marry; they could be harmed by predators before they are fully developed, mentally and physically. With incest, isn't there an increased risk of birth defects for offspring? With gay marriage, none of the above is true. It is two people in love, both of whom are consenting adults. No one is harmed. It just so happens that some religions believe that homosexuality is immoral and/or unnatural. Other religions, and people who are atheists, have no problem with it. This is a country with religious freedom. While you and I do not agree, I respect your right to follow the religion of your choice.
So, you are saying that following a religion is a pre-requisite to being able to tell whether something is right or wrong? I have news for ya there buddy. There are a lot of people who do not go to any church that think homosexuality is wrong. Your side does not have a lock on the athiests.
 
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
 
587 posts, read 633,584 times
Reputation: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post
Correlation does not equal causation. There are plenty of people who have been abused or neglected and don't 'end up' homosexual. I myself and others that I know were never abused or neglected and are homosexual. It is something that you're born with. Arguing and bringing gay marriage to the level of incest or bestiality is disgusting.
I couldn't agree more. On the other side of the coin, I was both abused and neglected as a child, and yet somehow I am heterosexual. There are countless people who unfortunately lived through that kind of horror as a child, but didn't "become" gay. And there are plenty of people who had perfectly happy, healthy childhoods who happen to be attracted to people of the same sex. As you said, correlation does not equal causation.

It deeply saddens me when people try to claim that gay marriage is essentially no different than people wanting to engage in bestiality or incest. And yes, that is what is being insinuated when someone claims that approving gay marriage is a slippery slope to approving those types of behaviors. I know that nothing I or anyone else says will change the minds of people who think that way, but I still find it extremely disheartening. I only hope that people who put homosexuality on the same level as incest and bestiality never have children or any other loved ones who are gay. It's views like this that make so many gay young people feel like there is something so deviant and wrong about them that they start to hate everything about themselves. We've seen time and time again that those thoughts can lead to fatal actions when a person believes the hateful, nasty things said to or about them for being gay, and when they feel that things will never get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top