Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times

Advertisements

I will be conducing research in College Park and Silver Spring, MD. Does anyone have any suggestions on safe cities in close proximity to these two locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 02:41 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflores98 View Post
I will be conducing research in College Park and Silver Spring, MD. Does anyone have any suggestions on safe cities in close proximity to these two locations?
Budget? Rent or buy? Do you have school-age children? How far are you willing to commute? Urban setting, suburban, or rural preference. Etc??

Both College Park and Silver Spring are relatively safe, considering you are close to a major city. You can walk around most areas in the daytime without getting mugged. You have to be specific about what other parameters you are looking for.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflores98 View Post
College Park and Silver Spring are relatively safe places in themselves. I can't speak on living in College Park, but I have spent enough time there to suggest it as a place to live that will provide a decent and safe quality of life.

Additionally, downtown Silver Spring has undergone a massive revitilization within the last 10 years (I lived in DT SS from 00-07) and is a much safer area than it was 15-20 years ago. Granted, you have to be careful when walking around late at night anywhere, but I never had any problems.

I relished living in the downtown area due to the choice of ammenities, the diversity, proximity to DC , the beltway and Metro systems. I never had to use my car during the week for work and even used Metro on weekends sometimes. I got spoiled in that way. At one point I almost ditched my car. What was unique about the area I lived in was that you can be in a busy, bustling area, and a few blocks away, be in a quiet, tree lined neighborhood with parks.

I'll say this...If by chance or reason my wife and I move back to the DC area, Silver Spring will be at the top of our list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland