U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
 
2 posts, read 7,354 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to the frederick/hagerstown area in April. He's military and will be commuting to Thurmont for work. I wanted to know the pros and cons of each area. We went to visit Frederick in Dec. and I like the area, esspecially Ballenger Creek, but Hagerstown is alot less expensive for rental homes and townhouses not to mention you get alot more for your money.

It seems like Hagertown is really small, I dont mind that as long as the city isnt more than 20 min away! Another issue is a mountain I keep hearing about. Is it true you have to cross a mountain to get into Frederick?

We're orignally from South FL, so I'm not use to driving across mountains filled with snow! We have lived a yr in Germany and a yr NC, so I'm some what use to cold weather. Im not use to driving in it tho!

Any info would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Nowhere worth mentioning
315 posts, read 688,863 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT2011 View Post
My husband and I are relocating to the frederick/hagerstown area in April. He's military and will be commuting to Thurmont for work. I wanted to know the pros and cons of each area. We went to visit Frederick in Dec. and I like the area, esspecially Ballenger Creek, but Hagerstown is alot less expensive for rental homes and townhouses not to mention you get alot more for your money.

It seems like Hagertown is really small, I dont mind that as long as the city isnt more than 20 min away! Another issue is a mountain I keep hearing about. Is it true you have to cross a mountain to get into Frederick?

We're orignally from South FL, so I'm not use to driving across mountains filled with snow! We have lived a yr in Germany and a yr NC, so I'm some what use to cold weather. Im not use to driving in it tho!

Any info would be helpful!
I lived in Frederick for many years and just recently moved to Hagerstown. You are absolutely correct; housing is much more affordable here and you do get a lot for your money. The city of Hagerstown isn't that big at all. You can travel from one end to the other in about 20 minutes (give or take depending on your route). I live south of the city limits and it takes me under 10 minutes to get to just about anything in down town. As for the mountain(s) yes, you will go over a couple to get into Frederick. I like to set my cruise control and it really helps with my gas mileage. As for the snow, there hasn't really been much this year, but at the mere mention of any frozen precipitation, they've treated all the main roads, in a pro-active manner. You can tell because there are white stripes on the roads. I believe it's a liquid they put down, but I could be wrong. As for the highways, they are well enough traveled that unless you're traveling in a storm, you shouldn't have any problems.

Just curious, what part of So FL are you guys from? Coral Springs here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM
 
342 posts, read 1,384,767 times
Reputation: 214
I don't think you have to cross a mountain to get to Thurmont from Frederick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,258 posts, read 8,460,398 times
Reputation: 3691
Frederick and Thurmont are in the same valley. The mountain (or mountains once you reach the Middletown Valley) is to the west of these towns.

You do have to cross "the mountain" at its highest and widest point to get from Hagerstown to Thurmont if you go the shortest way (MD-77.) I would not ride on this road in bad weather.

You could also take I-70 into Frederick, then head north on US-15 to Thurmont, but this would add at least another 30 minutes onto the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Hagerstown
455 posts, read 1,098,884 times
Reputation: 150
MD 77 is a pretty drive, but a bit hairy in bad weather. Smithsburg may be a good option too, only about 8-10 miles via MD 77 to Thurmont. I wouldn't worry about bad weather when choosing where to live, as the weather around here is snowy and slick maybe 5-10 days a year. We're not talking about the Alps or anything even close that. Highways are usually in good shape not long after the bad weather ends, so you could plan accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
244 posts, read 506,557 times
Reputation: 66
"MOUNTAIN" is a loose term. It's not like the ones you envision in Colorado or anything...it's only *maybe* 2000 feet about sea level and Hagerstown is 500-800 feet above sea level.

Also, I have lived in both areas and I think they each have their own positives. Hagerstown is more laid back, some areas and people are living about 10 years in the past, but Hagerstown has everything you could want (except a Bank of America and there is only 1 S'bux if that is important to you). They have Outlets, an Old Navy at the mall, all the big superstores and a great sense of history. Frederick is larger, has a more vibrant downtown area, numerous S'bux, BofA, great schools and very easy access to I-270 which will take you into DC or 70 which will take you into Baltimore.

What is your number one priority? and you budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
I lived in Frederick for many years and just recently moved to Hagerstown. You are absolutely correct; housing is much more affordable here and you do get a lot for your money. The city of Hagerstown isn't that big at all. You can travel from one end to the other in about 20 minutes (give or take depending on your route). I live south of the city limits and it takes me under 10 minutes to get to just about anything in down town. As for the mountain(s) yes, you will go over a couple to get into Frederick. I like to set my cruise control and it really helps with my gas mileage. As for the snow, there hasn't really been much this year, but at the mere mention of any frozen precipitation, they've treated all the main roads, in a pro-active manner. You can tell because there are white stripes on the roads. I believe it's a liquid they put down, but I could be wrong. As for the highways, they are well enough traveled that unless you're traveling in a storm, you shouldn't have any problems.

Just curious, what part of So FL are you guys from? Coral Springs here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,258 posts, read 8,460,398 times
Reputation: 3691
Don't be hating on our mountains

Relief is more important than elevation is determining what is a "mountain" and what isn't. Even the pancake flat parts of CO are above 3000 ft. If you are gaining 1,500 feet of elevation in a distance of a few miles via car, that is a steep climb and makes for a very pretty highland area.

Plus coming from FL, even Sugar Loaf will look "mountanious" to our guest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Nowhere worth mentioning
315 posts, read 688,863 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
(except a Bank of America and there is only 1 S'bux if that is important to you).
Seriously Heather? I think I remember now why I left Maryland. People like you who go out of their way to dig at someone. Wish I had remembered before I agreed to move back here.

FYI - I APOLOGIZED IN ANOTHER THREAD. Too bad you didn't get the memo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,354 times
Reputation: 10
Thumbs up Thanks for the help!

Thanks for all the info guys! !

@Barli we're from Ft. Lauderdale and the Deerfiled Beach area, FL rocks! lol

@Heather3 We dont want to go over 1600 at the most, my #1 priority is the home! I dont mind a small town as long as a major town isnt to far away! I would like to get as much house for the least amount of money! In frederick most of the homes are close together, while in Hagerstown there's plenty of backyard (my husband prefers this). I would like the home to be fairly new or recently renovated!

Last edited by SCOTT2011; 02-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,251 posts, read 11,546,655 times
Reputation: 3618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
Seriously Heather? I think I remember now why I left Maryland. People like you who go out of their way to dig at someone. Wish I had remembered before I agreed to move back here.

FYI - I APOLOGIZED IN ANOTHER THREAD. Too bad you didn't get the memo!
This type of behavior is unique to people from Maryland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top